Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Mixed Feelings...

Default Re: Mixed Feelings...

Some people didn't like Elvis! Enough already. Don't like Bill, don't listen.... He won't mind! Read a quote the other day from Mr. Monroe. When asked what he thought about Elvis' rendition of Blue Moon of Kentucky he merely answered, " the royalty checks are nice". Enough said?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I'm thinking of claiming NuevoBlueReggaeFolkGrassRock, If you all don't know someone else who's already done it.
    Please don't! I don't want to have to worry if I'm playing it like Jim Richmond would play it!

Please don't! I don't want to have to worry if I'm playing it like Jim Richmond would play it!
    Cause if you play it different it won't be no part of nuthin'. Course since the sub genre doesn't exist , it already isn't. There, wasn't that easy. It's all good.
    Jim Richmond

Blog Entries

Not sure I get the OP's last post...there are sub-forums & group forums for every conceivable style, genre & sub-genre...and from what I've usually seen this place is as accomodating and respectful as any interwebs you're likely to find.

Oh well.

When I started out on mando I came at it sideways from blues/jazz background and into Dawg music. Loved it, still do. It took me quite a while to appreciate Monroe because, to me, he played sloppily. Once I began trying to play his tunes I realized that very clean, single note picking sounded very "sterile", for lack of a better term. Before I knew it I was floored by the style & drive and sometimes "dangerous" playing of Monroe. Like Bach, I think, Monroe's music is all the more enjoyable trying to play it and recreate it.

That said I still love most all mandolin music...and Monk...and Zappa..and Rush...and Brahms.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Hill For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheMandolineer View Post
    Well I'm having issues with you right now.

I request for no trolls because, despite my simple request and best efforts, here you are.

I don't feel comfortable on this site because of people like you. I AVOID this site because of people like you. I've seen the extremes of people who claim "Bill Monroe sucks, A styles all the way, Gibsons are overpriced shoeboxes," etc., but having never even stated my opinion on those, I'm wondering if you're just getting bitter at me for having mixed--MIXED, not fully negative--views of Monroe and then rather than discuss the points reasonably like we've been doing, you go straight for an ad hominem and non-sequitur and make me feel incredibly unwelcome based on a generalization with no evidence.

I've also seen stubborn bluegrass purists, Gibson snobs and F-scroll snobs. It goes both ways, but I never accuse people of this because you just can't tell most of the time without risking being completely wrong and stupid.

And for the most part, NOBODY should be concerned of posting their honest thoughts without their accounts being locked. If you are concerned that you words to me will be so offensive that moderators have to hide them, then consider how damaging your abuse of relative anonymity on the internet is.

But when it comes down to it, I'm abandoning the Cafe for good. At least in the Dobro world there's so few slide players in comparison that any and all resophonic representation of any styles and skill level is welcomed whole-heartedly. Nobody cares if you have a Dobro or a Regal or a Scheerhorn or a Cigar Box. Nobody cares if you prefer Douglas or Ickes or Hall or Auldridge. Steel body, metal body, roundneck, squareneck, it's all welcome with no fuss or superiority or suspicion or hostility. That's the kind of environment that I'd like to be in, so I'm leaving for it...

--Tom out.
    I'm going to suggest this result (you leaving in a huff) is largely of your own making. You started off with a laundry list of what you didn't want to discuss but you didn't form a clear point this thread could have been built around. You have mixed feelings about Monroe's playing. It has to go somewhere from there but you didn't lead it anywhere. Happy trails.

Again, it's one thing to say a particular player or style of play doesn't do anything for you.

It's quite another thing to try to cut that player down by suggesting that he lacked ability, or that his contribution to the development of bluegrass wasn't all that important. (Or, as others have done when discussing other players, to suggest that the player's music "has no soul" or that the player is just a "showoff.")

There's a difference between posting an honest opinion (we don't have a problem with that) and calling names or distributing insults (that can be a problem).
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

8. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    I'm going to suggest this result (you leaving in a huff)
    And if you can't leave in a huff, leave in a minute and a huff.

Tom: With my warmest greeting and complete understanding. I suggest forget about Bill Monroe influence on the mandolin and music. Bill did the best he could, not many he could study to develope a style. I am 66 and Bill was about the only game going when I started playing mandolin or from others that were students of Bill's music. Enjoy your favorite players / give Bill a rest.

11. The following members say thank you to Big Ed for this post:

f5joe 

So the truth comes out, the Monroe topic was just a fly strip. A pre cursor to "See, I told you so!". My suggestion to the OP... stop spinning webs and waiting for them to shake. Questioning a whole community of good people as to their credibility after baiting a response doesnt reflect too well.

13. The following members say thank you to shortymack for this post:

I think he just wanted Bill's permission to play the dobro. Bless his heart.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Alex: You are right on with your post, well said,

but but but ... don't leave! well okay, bye.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Half-Men.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	104644  
    Last edited by mtucker; Jul-20-2013 at 6:26pm. Reason: pic added :=))

Quote Originally Posted by TheMandolineer View Post
    Nobody cares if you have a Dobro or a Regal or a Scheerhorn or a Cigar Box.
    If you had a Schmergel the darn thing would force anyone in hearing distance (reported to be few miles BTW) to care

I have been an administrator at several message boards going back to 2003 and being an administrator gives you terrific insights not otherwise available to general message board members. You have personal information available to you, for instance. Many times, even a real name, address and telephone #. You get to ask the message board members all sorts of questions and find out the real reason they said certain things or started certain threads. Obviously, I don't have that information available here and I have not even bothered to read this entire thread because after reading the OP, it became clear to me why this was posted.

The OP has lurked here for a while and figured out vital things about people who post at Mandolin Café. He may not even be a mandolin player but is having some harmless fun. He devised a post which would practically REQUIRE a response from everybody here.

He questioned the existence of God at the Mandolin Café. I'm being quite serious here making that statement. Bill Monroe is considered the genesis of bluegrass and the man most American mandolin pickers should aspire to be. Anything Bill Monroe's name is attached to gets at least a second look and almost always costs more. He is quoted more than anybody else here no matter what the subject of discussion. How many times a day do you run into the "no part of nothing" quote at the Café? By now, it is pretty much drilled into our brains.

The OP was very careful not to directly insult Monroe's reputation or to suggest his fame is unearned. He simply questioned his style of playing and asked others to give their reasons for respecting Monroe.

This newbie got a thread started which has gone on for six (6) pages as of this post questioning the existence of God. That is remarkable.

My hat is off to you, sir!

I can see that you didn't read the whole thread.

Quote Originally Posted by vegas View Post

This newbie got a thread started which has gone on for six (6) pages as of this post questioning the existence of God. That is remarkable.
    We're a chatty bunch; the Jack White thread ran for 13 pages - questioning whether a rock guy could have a legitimate stake in OT music : )

Blog Entries

Party's over.

Nothing new here. Same discussion has been held on the internet since 1994 and can be read in archived discussions--if they can be found--on CoMando. Some are eloquent in their prose, some not. No need to pile on anyone which this has turned into. However, discussions started with the purpose of expressing disdain and calling into question the choices and preferences of others are rarely of any lasting value.

Good night.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post: