Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1921 Bacon Professional Model

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Default Re: 1921 Bacon Professional Model

and I know for a fact that he reads the forum and keeps up on the classifieds here on the Cafe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I think DG does keep up with eBay sales.

I still think these Bacons are a big question mark. They are nicely made and sound good but not sure how desirable they are on the market compared to equivalent Lyon & Healy and Gibsons.

He seems to have based his valuation on a WILD ASS GUESS by Bluegrasser - "It's pry worth close to 4G? I'm a Gibson guy so not sure if I'm right?"... sometimes silence is a good option...

Still, if he can get it more power to him...

Check out this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    That was less than 1 year ago and it sold for $963. Gary Hedrick linked to that same thread but I guess the seller did no read that or figured he would aim high. So it goes... or not.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    He seems to have based his valuation on a WILD ASS GUESS by Bluegrasser - "It's pry worth close to 4G? I'm a Gibson guy so not sure if I'm right?"... sometimes silence is a good option...

Still, if he can get it more power to him...
    Hey whats the big deal? Don't get nasty. I was thinkin one owner,no repairs,great condition,great era for instruments,the quality is there,signed by W.Place, people pay for that quality in vintage instruments and if its needed for someone's stash, they'll pay it! Lets all just see what it sells for.
    Maybe I got the guy thinkin to do research so he doesn't just put a low price on it! Maybe someone wanted to buy it dirt cheap, and I helped the guy out a little?

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

I don't see any issue with him listing it on ebay for any price. He isn't misrepresenting the instrument....there is no fraud....it is just the free market in action......if you want to pay that for it then it will sell....if not then you can make an offer and he can decide to sell it for a lower price.

It is what it is.....

Absolutely, i think he was covering himself and will see what the market will bring. I don't honestly know what these will bring on the market. I actually put my Bacon Artist on eBay prob 6 or 7 years ago for $2800 but it didn't sell and I was glad because I started playing it again. In fact I think i will take mine out and give it some air time.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Also agree that price is not really a great issue; though selling it for something like $963 would be giving it away considering the condition and provenance...where would a collector find one of these in this condition for any price? If he gets 3K or 4K, whatever, all power to him.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

BTW the photos looks nice, at least as best as cell phones can show. I have heard more than a few times that the necks on these have a tendency to warp. At least I had that experience and have heard a few others with similar. Just saying... who knows what evil lurks...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Or this Lyon & Healy (longer scale) on eBay.
    That looks like a very nicely crafted instrument....the peg box, scroll, colour and flame, purfling etc., although I'd like it even better if it was a clean teardrop shape, without those two "horns".

That looks like a very nicely crafted instrument....the peg box, scroll, colour and flame, purfling etc., although I'd like it even better if it was a clean teardrop shape, without those two "horns".
    You would want a L&H style C then:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	productimage-picture-lyon-and-healy-style-c-16928-55601.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	104702  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

You would want a L&H style C then:
    Yes, that is a beauty. If I ever manage to overcome the teething difficulties of mandolin playing, that's the kind of an instrument I would wish to acquire.

They are around and reasonably priced. Less expensive than the upper level A model.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Check out this thread.

That was less than 1 year ago and it sold for $963. Gary Hedrick linked to that same thread but I guess the seller did no read that or figured he would aim high. So it goes... or not.

I read that thread in the forum, as well as looked at the posting on Ebay. I don't think you can really compare the two mandolins. The one I have is in much better shape, has no damage, it was signed by William Place, and it is in the original case.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grumpsdad View Post
    I read that thread in the forum, as well as looked at the posting on Ebay. I don't think you can really compare the two mandolins. The one I have is in much better shape, has no damage, it was signed by William Place, and it is in the original case.
    I agree, very nice rare mandolin you have! I wonder how many were signed by W.P.Jr? I'd lay a bet on not too many. and I'd love to own her if I had the cash flow right now I'd buy it, I think 3G is a fair price and surprised no one has jumped on it!

I believe that every Artist model was signed by Place. I am not sure why some Pro models would be signed and some not. My amateur is also missing the label or perhaps never had one. Possibly he only signed ones in 1921.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Best offer accepted...

Had a discussion yesterday about a Bacon Professional that is now available locally, which I believe is the same one discussed in this thread. I'll probably have a chance to play it on Dec. 7.

Does anyone know what material was used for Bacon pickguards? Reportedly the pickguard on this one is warped, and a local luthier has suggested heat-treating it in an oven. But if it is celluloid, that could easily result in one very messy oven.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I don't know what type of plastic the pickguard is made of but I would imagine that there is a way to gently warm it until it is malleable and then flatten it with some weights. Maybe it is not best to do it in an oven but there are alternatives like a clothes iron possibly covered with some aluminum foil?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I don't know what type of plastic the pickguard is made of but I would imagine that there is a way to gently warm it until it is malleable and then flatten it with some weights. Maybe it is not best to do it in an oven but there are alternatives like a clothes iron possibly covered with some aluminum foil?
    A hairdryer and a couple of stout books to sandwich it between should do the trick. Oven sounds a little dangerous, unless you can control the temperature really carefully...

That sounds like a possibility or, if you needed more heat, one of those heat guns you use to remove paint.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bacon Professional Model mando.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	109811

I think given the condition of the mandolin, $2500 would be a fair price, though I'm no expert.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Well, that's the price I suggested to the current seller. It would be nice to restore the original pickguard, but if that's not possible, a replacement shouldn't be a deal breaker. Not everyone realizes how volatile and flammable celluloid can be, so I would think long and hard before applying heat to it.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Hot water for heating the pickguard?

Here is my "side of Bacon" showing the warpage of the pickguard. Someone tried to counteract it with a piece of hardwood but I think that that wood also warped. As long as it doesn't get in my way, I don't mind. I suppose I might try and fix it one day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bacon_side.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	109890  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Nice side of bacon! That's funny, I don't care who you are.
    I seem to remember talking with someone about placing warped plastic between two pieces of plate glass and leaving it in the sun for a few days or heating with a heat gun. It makes sense to me. The glass surface is pretty darned flat!
    Interested to see where this leads.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett