Thread: What strings for 1910 DeMeglio bowlback mandolin ?

Default What strings for 1910 DeMeglio bowlback mandolin ?

I lack experience with mandolin strings, but I do have a preference for softer and more "woody" tone as opposed to a metallic twang and raw volume of sound production which, by the way, I do not really need. (In addition, I guess one should choose lower tension strings for those older instruments from the standpoint of limiting the stress upon them.)

After reading a goodly number of MC posts on the subject of strings, it would seem that one good option might be the synthetic gut by Aquila. If Pirastro makes a mandolin version of their "Olive" line of strings, that could also perhaps become an alternative ?

Your help will be appreciated very much.
    Last edited by peterk; Jul-22-2013 at 5:09pm.

Default Re: What strings for 1910 DeMeglio bowlback mandolin ?

IMHO the Aquila strings will be way lower tension than is needed. you still want steel strings. I used Fisoma Consort when i owned my DeMeglio. I never tried T-I strings on an Italian bowlback but if you want to make it mellower you could try the low tension ones.

I am not sure where you are located geographically but those links are for a large online store in Germany.

My deMeglio had a brass saddle which, of course, made it even more metallic sounding. You could replace it with a bone or ebony one, perhaps which would help.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, thank you. This DeMeglio comes with one solid piece ebony (blackwood ?) bridge already. In addition, there is some sort of ebony clip placed across all strings between the bridge and the tailpiece. (Would its function be in attenuating buzz of the string sections "south" of the bridge ?) I have also made a note of the Fisoma Consort strings.

I have a feeling that that bridge is not original to the instrument. Can you post some pics? That ebony is a sort of harmonic suppressor.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here is the picture taken by John Maddock. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	239 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	104682

If it's screwed into the soundboard, it is likely a string tensioner, which increases the break angle over the bridge. John Mattock (Tavy) knows more about these things and can likely give you some good advice.

EDIT: Peterk's post above was written simultaneously with mine... I'm sure John will be along shortly to enlighten us.

That string tensioner/harmonic suppressor thinger was a std feature of DeMeglio mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    That string tensioner/harmonic suppressor thinger was a std feature of DeMeglio mandolins.
    Thanx, that is good to know. In fact, I have just found out about McClung's noise suppressors: the same idea except his, thankfully, do not show any screws.

After a bit more of poking around, Dogal "Calace" (dolce) strings are high on my "to get" list.
    Then there is GHS "ultralight". Both are obtainable in N. America, and they are priced rather reasonably.
    Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone who'd carry Fisoma "Consort" strings, either in Canada or USA.
    Thomastik-Infeld also make some low tension mandolin strings, but I can't tell if their performance/longevity is worth the money they want for them.

(duplicate post deleted)
    Last edited by peterk; Jul-24-2013 at 2:08pm. Reason: duplicate

Peter: For some reason I thought you were in the UK. Bernunzio has the Calace Dolce 92B strings. I do not know who carries the Fisoma tho Acoustic Music Works used to have them.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thank you, Jim, Bernunzio is almost local to me.....in Rochester NY, just across the lake (Ontario).
    As far as Fisoma Consort strings go, I suspect they might be orderable from Germany, at some additional postage cost....that's something I should attempt to do as I've got nothing better to do with my retirement time anyways.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    Thanx, that is good to know. In fact, I have just found out about McClung's noise suppressors: the same idea except his, thankfully, do not show any screws.
    As Marty has said, the string tensioners on the DeMeglio do more than the simple 'noise suppression' that Mr. McClung dodads provide. The screws help pull down the the strings to increase their break angle over the bridge. When in tune this provides a greater downward force to the top and (ideally) increases the transfer of string vibration to the top. How well this actually may work, I cannot attest to.

I have a couple DeMeglio bowls that I have recently provided the Lazarus treatment to and have not yet A/B compared them with/without the string tensioner. John may have tried this with the two that he recently repaired.... (John?)

FWIW, I've been using the Dogal Calace Dolce strings on my DeMeglio (and other bowlbacks and Leland canted tops.) I prefer them to the Fisomas... but that is just one man's opinion.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Mick, that is very interesting......based on pictures alone I couldn't see what's hidden behind the "suppressor bar", however, I have wondered about the two screws. Within a week or so I should have the instrument in my hands, and then I'll be able to take look at that construction detail. If indeed, the "suppressor bar" is a feature unique to DeMeglio, that makes me wonder what was that he knew and the other mandolin builders didn't (and do not) ?

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    Mick, that is very interesting......based on pictures alone I couldn't see what's hidden behind the "suppressor bar", however, I have wondered about the two screws. Within a week or so I should have the instrument in my hands, and then I'll be able to take look at that construction detail. If indeed, the "suppressor bar" is a feature unique to DeMeglio, that makes me wonder what was that he knew and the other mandolin builders didn't (and do not) ?
    DeMeglio mandolins do have a range of design 'features' which are somewhat unique to them--though the side vent holes show up now and again on other bowlbacks. Our friend, Dave Hynds, is of the opinion that the method of mounting and binding the top is of some consequence to the sound, but I'm not sure I follow his logic on this. (Though he certainly does know his stuff....)

The extensive labels in the DeMeglios are enjoyable to see and read. I have had a couple of them apart (or in many pieces as the case may be) and had a chance to see the interior construction, which was quite clean and carefully executed. The ones I have had (or played) have a very nice clean relief detail where the staves of the bowl attach to the neck. Also very clean work. There is a small reinforcing piece under the top for the screws from the tensioner to seat into. Like bro' Jim says above, mine have had brass nuts with zero frets (though not all DeMeglios do) as well as a brass saddle in the bridge (also not on every DeMeg model.) Indeed, a 'party in the bowl' as our friend Martin has testified.

A search here for DeMeglio will turn up the numerous conversations that have been had over the years. They are nice instruments. I look forward to hearing more about yours when it arrives.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Mick, thank you for the additional info. Indeed, the older instrument labels of that sort allow us a little glimpse into the world of cavaliere DeMeglio, his business and his clientele.

I have also stumbled upon Newtone soft mandolin strings. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.gif 
Views:	151 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	104763Would anyone care to comment on them ?