Thread: Nut slot shape

Default Nut slot shape

I saw this article about a preference for V slots.

http://www.siminoff.net/Media/download_nutfile.pdf

Any other opinions regarding V shaped slots vs Gauged slots? Level of difficulty to achieve a good slot? If a V shaped slot is used, what is the criteria for selecting the file size? Seems tricky in comparison to a gauged slot.

Default Re: Nut slot shape

V-shaped slots pinch strings rather than letting them slide smoothly through the nut slot. V-shaped slots wear faster because there are only two (theoretically) lines of contact between the string and the slot. String height is not easy to control with a V-shaped slot because, as the slot wears, the string moves lower in the slot (until the slot eventually becomes a round-bottomed slot, though a tight one). When different gauge strings are used in a V-shaped slot, the height is different because smaller strings sit lower in the V.

My preference (obviously) is for well fit, round-bottomed nut slots.

3. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I don't agree with the Siminoff article. Like John I always file the slots for a round-bottomed, gauged fit.

Blog Entries

+1 for the gauged fit.
    Paul Hostetter gives a good explanation of the subject here.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

6. The following members say thank you to Pete Jenner for this post:

The V slot didn't seem the way to go to me either. Thanks for the detailed link. I found the "bell horn" profile of the nut slot interesting. It seems it would be tough to get that precise shape with a standard gauged nut file alone, particularly the pairs E and A strings.

I'm new to this and just learning /experimenting. I've no goal to become a builder at this point, but would like to be proficient at setup skills/techniques. I very much appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyjohnstone View Post
    I found the "bell horn" profile of the nut slot interesting. It seems it would be tough to get that precise shape with a standard gauged nut file alone, particularly the pairs E and A strings.
    Cut the slot down to the height you want using the file that matches the string size (or slightly oversize). Then backfile the headstock side of the slot with a bigger file, at a steeper angle, to hog out the big end of the "bell." Then final-shape it with an in-between-sized file. It's a lot easier to do if the nut height is right, meaning the string is not buried in a deep slot.