Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin vs Banjo

Default Mandolin vs Banjo

I'm thinking about buying either a mandolin or banjo. I was wondering which one of these sound the best solo, and which one is easier to learn. I have a very small musical background (piano for a couple years about 10 years ago).

Thank You for your help!

Default Re: Mandolin vs Banjo

I think any instrument has its challenges to learn. Which sounds the best or is more enjoyable is up to you. I own both instruments. I find if you are going to sit by yourself and play, I don't really need any other instrument when I am picking clawhammer banjo but then again it's really up to you, no reason you can't enjoy doing the same thing with a mandolin. I think mandolin is the best instrument out there, so I would say get one of those.
    Last edited by dusty miller; Jul-28-2013 at 10:41am.
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Welcome to the Cafe! Since you've come to the Mandolin Cafe, you might already suspect what the answer will be

But seriously, it completely depends on what kind of music you want to play. Normally, the path of questions goes like this (imagine Charly Brown talking to his teacher):

"Hey, I like that kind of music - what is that called?"
    "squawk squawk..."
    "Hey, I like the sound of that instrument the guy on the left is playing - what is that called?"
    "squawk squawk..."
    "Hey, I would like to play like that myself, how do I start?"
    "(sigh) squawk squawk..."

Question #3 will be thoroughly answered here if the answer to question #2 is "mandolin", because then most of us have something to contribute. Even if the answer to question #2 is "banjo", the answer of question #1 might determine the type of banjo (5-string? tenor?) A little history of how you came to consider either instrument will help.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I play both every day.... and have for some years.

which is easier is probably not a valid question.... They are both demanding as is any instrument.... I would go by your own feelings on this one... Mando has some advantages but you can feel cramped at first with its tiny fret board and the mandolins high tension steel strings can be a challange for the first six months or so.

banjo is easier to fret. Less string tension. and in my experience less painful during the learning period. But both are in fact painfull for a while depending on how many hours you practice (play) each day.

I would go by your own instincts on which you really want to learn.... tone-wise... But don't worry, much of what you learn on either will help your overal understanding of stringed instruments and will transfer to learning the other if you change your mind.
    Bart McNeil

Tough choice. Either instrument can sound good solo. I've only played Tenor Banjo and feel it is quite similar in learning difficulty to the Mandolin. I do feel that decent entry level Mandolins are a little easier to find than Banjos but that may only be my ignorance of the Banjo world. So I'll echo the other posters and ask what sort of music do you want to play? What do you listen to? If you have a music store nearby can you go there and get your hands on one or both of these instruments? Is there a local teacher for either one who could get you started. If you choose Mandolin , this site offers a great deal of instruction & general Mandolin information. Enjoy your journey which ever instrument you pick.
    Jim Richmond

The answer to this can be had in determining: do you want to plant your pinky?

Seriously though, I can write a pseudo dissertation on this (and have), but the there are some fundamentals that can be answered readily. A bum-ditty can be acquired in from anywhere between 2 hours and 2 weeks, and this (rhythmic impetus) is the essence of music. A person with "all the right elements" may be making music very quickly--particularly with a frailing banjo approach

Scruggs-style (bluegrass) style, flat picking (mandolin, guitar, tenor banjo, etc) generally requires more time, study, wherewithal...to begin making music

Some things--like "diatonic" tunings on banjos, guitars, button accordians--aid in the making of music by "amateur" approach rather easily. Others generally require more extensive study. Do you want to accompany yourself singing?

I'm betting you end up with both. They are both a lot of fun. Take a look at claw hammer if you try banjo, it's a lot of fun and pretty easy to start playing some music.

Maybe you know a few people who have a mandolin and/or a banjo and they can show you a few simple things to play and you can then make a decision? An ex-boyfriend of mine showed me a few things on the mandolin and it was like a light bulb went off!

Having once built and played banjos, here are the benefits of the mandolin I have discovered (listed in the order that they popped to mind)-

1. Small case and light instrument. You will retain the circulation in your fingers when carrying the case from place to place.
    2. Wide range of music genres that you can start with. If you read music, all violin sheet music is waiting!
    3. Doesn't need a mute to sound pleasant.
    4. Lovely range of design and form.
    5. Easy to join in with jams after mastering just a few chords.
    6. Pricing and quality of instruments range from ridiculously cheap to high-end investment.
    7. No need for a capo.
    8. Wide range of tonal complexity and subtly.
    9. Used for both rhythm and melody.
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve Sorensen For This Useful Post:

Destroyer of Mandolins

To my way of thinking a lot depends on what one means by solo. If you're going to accompany yourself singing, the banjo wins every time for me.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

But even if playing instrumental-only, banjos (and guitars, larger mandos, oud, and so forth) have the range to self-accompany effectively--that is, enough strings and scale length to provide interesting timbres and figures internally. My flamenco mentor called the guitar a "miniature piano"--if one exploits these techniques

More challenging to effectively "self-accompany" on smaller instruments, and usually requires a different concept and (more sophisticated) skill to execute. If you want to play a melody--go for a mandolin (or fiddle

Quote Originally Posted by Ckgoods View Post
    I'm thinking about buying either a mandolin or banjo. I was wondering which one of these sound the best solo, and which one is easier to learn. I have a very small musical background (piano for a couple years about 10 years ago).

Thank You for your help!
    I think you should go with the instrument that speaks to you emotionally. Period. Couple this with the genres of music you love and if either instrument is used in those genres.

The simple truth, is that any instrument can be easy to learn to play, with just a bit of time and practice.

It is so much harder to play well. It is mostly a function of time with the instrument, and mindful practice and growth.

Having played both, but banjo far less, I think in the most basic way, mandolin would be easier to become passable on, ie simple open chording, simple melody accompaniment.

Once I heard Dave Grisman, Chris Thiele, Sam Bush, John Reischman, Matt Flinner, and others who play so many non bluegrass genres, and make the instrument so full, resonant, and having a beauty similar to a solo archtop guitar playing jazz, I renewed my love with the mandolin.

It is my opinion, that neither sound particularly good solo, unless very played well. I love mandolin. I also happen to think it is not the best for vocal accompaniment. I love Bela Fleck but on the larger scale of things, to listen to hours of banjo , solo, isn't something I dream about. I think banjo is very likely to limit you to about 90%+ bluegrass or country type music, possibly broader, folk and even a sprinkling of pop/rock, but overall, mostly bluegrass. Simply, musically anything is possible if you decide it so, and those you play with agree.

It likely speaks to my ability, but, recently I was backing a duo (2 guitars) with my banjo player, at a very large (350 folks) out door BBQ. The duo failed to show, and, despite my better judgment, and lack of PA, banjo and mando did the gig. Let me simply say that the tonal range, particularly in the wide open air, and ability to anchor the song in the right range (more bass) just didn't sound so great accompanying vocals. Obviously there are amazing players, who, instrumentally can make either sing and be interesting.

the mandolin & banjo are like bread & butter you need both to have good taste.

15. The following members say thank you to mandolin tony for this post:

All else being equal (ie. you have no actual preference for one over the other), go with Mandolin. I play both daily, and I'm primarily a banjo player. I started playing mandolin a couple years ago when one fell into my lap and I couldn't put it down.

• Mandolins are infinitely more intuitive to learn and play, thanks to the evenly spaced tuning, and easy to transpose songs into different keys
    • They weigh next to nothing (compared to a 10-12 pound banjo--which would you rather have with you at the old folks home?)
    • Mandolins are easier to travel with. I used to take my banjo every time I went on a trip, but it was so big and heavy, hard to fit places, etc. Now I just take my mando instead.
    • Although you can theoretically play any genre of music on either instrument, in the real world you have much more available to you with Mandolin
    • People don't tell Mandolin players to "shut the hell up" as often as they do banjo players.
    • Price-wise, there's really no advantage to either instrument. You can get a very playable mandolin or banjo in the $300-$400 range, although in both cases you'll find yourself wanting to upgrade very soon, so buy the best instrument you can afford.
    • Banjos are easier to fret. I was surprised at the extra pressure needed to play mando, since they were such small instruments, but the double strings make it much harder at the outset. The Mando will definitely give your fingers more of a workout and make you wish you could build callouses faster.

The only problem for me is that they don't sound like a banjo. So if you want that banjo sound, go get yourself a banjo. But if the arguments i listed above resonate with you (no pun intended), get a mandolin.

dave

17. The following members say thank you to davidtoc for this post:

Blog Entries

I started with banjo, and have now ended up on mandolin. There is no question in my mind that banjo--tuned in an Open G--is much easier to play out of the box. The open G give you three chords right away, so bingo! you can play 75% of all American folk music. It's also got lower string tension, so easier on your fingers. It's a great instrument, really making a comeback now with all sorts of indie music. And it's always welcome alongside guitar.

That said, what I'm finding is that now that I'm learning to improvise and to play what I hear ... the mandolin fretboard is SO*MUCH*EASIER and more predictable. At least to my limited intellect.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

19. The following members say thank you to belbein for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    I started with banjo, and have now ended up on mandolin. There is no question in my mind that banjo--tuned in an Open G--is much easier to play out of the box. The open G give you three chords right away, so bingo! you can play 75% of all American folk music. It's also got lower string tension, so easier on your fingers. It's a great instrument, really making a comeback now with all sorts of indie music. And it's always welcome alongside guitar.

That said, what I'm finding is that now that I'm learning to improvise and to play what I hear ... the mandolin fretboard is SO*MUCH*EASIER and more predictable. At least to my limited intellect.
    Going up to the twelfth fret you will actually have eleven chords plus the octave G

Given that you're asking this on a mandolin forum, I'd say you've already decided.

But if not, get a banjo. All the girls love a banjo.

22. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Everyone knows what a banjo is. Unless your friends are into bluegrass, if you tell them you're playing a mandolin, they'll picture you in the back of a gondola singing "O Solo Mio"
    Eastman 804V
    Kentucky KM-505
    Banjos - Deering Goodtime 19 Fret Tenor & 5 string
    Guitars:

2006 Taylor GS5 - For Sale
    2014 Taylor 114e
    1986 Martin MC28 Acoustic/Electric
    Holden Village Taylor GS Mini & Mahogany GS Mini

I own and play both.

The one advantage to mandolin is size and , just a personal opinion... the mandolin is "appropriate" for nearly any kind of music whereas .. some will say, that is not true of banjo. However there are players who defy that observation.

I prefer mandolas for size and the tonal range, better yet.. mandola , built, strung, and tuned CGDAE.

Get a banjolin, dilemma solved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandolinBanjoPortrait.jpg 
Views:	4055 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	104897

Destroyer of Mandolins

And a new dilemma begins.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    All the girls love a banjo.
    ...the banjo, that is. Not the player.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Blog Entries

I've always said I knew that I'd made it when I had some mandolin groupies. I just didn't expect them to be 70 year old men.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I own both... one to play and the other to prevent it falling into irresponsible hands....

30. The following members say thank you to Shelagh Moore for this post:

CHASAX 

Because the mandolin can play most any style of music I put it ahead of the banjo.
    I find nothing more satisfying than playing Big Sciota clawhammer style on the banjo.
    Playing a few fiddle tunes on the mandolin, then some Bach, very cool.

Maybe the way to decide is this: How many teeth do you have?
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
    Favorite Mandolin of the week: 2013 Collings MF Gloss top.

32. The following members say thank you to JGWoods for this post: