Thread: H-4 mandola

Default H-4 mandola

i was looking at the H-4 mandola on the Mandolin World Headquarters site. it is described as in excellent plus condition. when i look at the pix it looks like the bridge wore a spot in the top in a different position than it is now. also, it looks like there is a crack in the top under the scroll yet the description says there are no cracks. am i missing something? do my eyes deceive me? does this represent excellent plus condition? i am asking for educational purposes. i would really like to know how these ratings are decided.
    KJ

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Default Re: H-4 mandola

it is not uncommom for the bridge to be in the wrong place with these old Gibsons. I have owned several that when checked the bridge was too far forward....

Ditto to Gary. I've had a couple old Gibsons with the bridge placement too far forward. By the time someone cares to fix it, it is too late. I don't think the excellent plus description is inaccurate for the bridge mark.

It is worth asking about the possible crack for peace of mind before buying. What looks like a crack can sometimes just be at the finish level. (See the headstock pics for an example, which shows several "cracks".) There are similar cracks by the point and next to the pickguard. I suspect those might just be at the finish level also, making it fair to say "no cracks". IMO, a crack generally denotes a crack in the wood (i.e. structural problems.)

I generally ignore any kind of blanket condition rating. Just too subjective (and open to abuse) to have any real meaning.

This is the one, right?

http://www.vintagemandolin.com/13gib...6_fon2280.html

I agree that there is a crack in the top next to the fingerboard on the bass side. That's an important structural area in an acoustic instrument with a neck block.

The all-red color strikes me as a bit unusual with no hint of yellow burst or shading, but maybe there are others out there like this.

Whenever you are buying, even from "reputable" places, it's important to do your own evaluation for issues and originality. I think Ronald Reagan said it best... "trust, but verify".

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    It is worth asking about the possible crack for peace of mind before buying. What looks like a crack can sometimes just be at the finish level.
    In my experience, given the opportunity, most sellers will claim any crack is just in the finish. Looking at the photos of this mandola I see a crack along the top grain extending to the binding, in a classic location for an oval hole instrument. Repaired correctly it is not a big deal, unless the description says "no cracks" and you aren't getting an appropriate discount for the issue.

It's certainly worth looking inside with a dental mirror to see if that's a crack or just a scratch. Charles is a very reputable seller and I'm sure he'd be willing to substantiate the claim that the instrument isn't cracked.

I see another mark along the treble side and a little short one down by the point as well.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

A couple further observations.
    1. The finishes in those early years are more monochromatic with little of no sunburst.
    2. Yes I believe that is a crack near the scroll....not uncommon and not that scary.....and Martin has picked up on a crack at the point and indeed those aren't uncommon
    3. All that said ...it sure is a lovely looking instrument and Charles is a top notch dealer.....go ask him about it...