Thread: Mandolin & Dobro Duets?

Default Mandolin & Dobro Duets?

Well, this is awkward.

It has been eleven days since my reign of questionable prudence and undeniable stupidity, and having decided to abridge my childish self-imposed exile to a simple hiatus to clear my head, I would like to start anew. I'm just going to hold my tongue on certain matters and will use this site for the betterment of myself and others rather than the belittlement of random people who shouldn't really be the source of argument in the first place, because who cares what I think, anyway?

That aside, I truly am a godawful mandolinist and dobroist in need of practice, and in my search for visual material to study, I have been looking for video of Mandolin & Dobro duets, but with little success. I'm aware of "Duke & Cookie" (Jerry Douglas & Sam Bush) and "Angeline the Baker" (Rob Ickes & Andy Leftwich), but I haven't been able to find much more content, while, curiously, there are plenty of guitar/Dobro, mandolin/banjo, guitar/banjo, and banjo/mandolin duets scattered all over the internet in vast quantities.

Does anyone know why mandolin/Dobro is such a rare duo, and more importantly, as pertaining to the key interest of this thread, does anyone have a link to mandolin/Dobro duet video content? Any vids that you can find would be greatly appreciated, as I can't seem to find more than the aforementioned two.

Thanks, and my apologies for a rough start,

--Tom

Default Re: Mandolin & Dobro Duets?

Well, they're scarce, but there are trace amounts out there. I ended up finding a couple duets and a Mando-Double-Dobro-Trio over the course of today, with some good variety of artists:

Just wish that these weren't so hard to come by. I may be tempted to record my own Dobro/Mandolin bits if I can even get halfway decent on any one of them; seems like there's a niche to fill...

--Tom

It's not a duet but Ivan Rosenberg's Clawhammer and Dobro album has some great cuts with mando, dobro and clawhammer banjo...interesting combo if you ask me.

Check out Tone Poems III, with Grisman, Auldridge and Brozman.
    Eric Foulke
    Boots Mandolins

"Outside of a book, a dog is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

Seems like there might be some videos of The Seldom Scene that feature mando/dobro duets as intros, breaks, etc.

For example certain moments in this tune if you pretend some of the other instruments aren't there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va-Apc1JS80