Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Looking for F-style Mandocellos

Default Re: Looking for F-style Mandocellos

I have a 1937 Gibson K1 with a nice slim neck. I figured at that time they made few mandocelli and used a guitar neck. I did have a little problem with getting that action right but it plays nicely when set up right. I should take it out and see how it is doing -- it has been awhile. No baseball bat and it does have a truss rod. Still, it is not easy to play for me mostly mandolin and occasionally mandola player.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Aug-18-2013 at 4:45pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have nice teens K1, while the neck is deeper than I'd like I prefer it to guitar necks of the Ovation and Eastman Mandocellos, and I certainly don't consider it a baseball bat... and it works very well for centering my thumb on the V while doing the 7th inning stretch across frets...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I have a 1937 Gibson K1 with a nice slim neck. I figured at that time they made few mandocelli and used a guitar neck. I did have a little problem with getting that action right but it plays nicely when set up right. I should take it out and see how it is doing -- it has been awhile. No baseball bat and it does have a truss rod. Still, it is not easy to play for me mostly mandolin and occasionally mandola player.
    Do you happen to have a good hi res pic of the nut on your mandocello? I was interested in comparing it the on on mine (also '37) because there was and "extra" nut in the case pocket that I think is probably the original nut-- the one on the instrument now is not ideal.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    I have nice teens K1, while the neck is deeper than I'd like I prefer it to guitar necks of the Ovation and Eastman Mandocellos, and I certainly don't consider it a baseball bat... and it works very well for centering my thumb on the V while doing the 7th inning stretch across frets...
    I agree Eddie that is how I remember the 1906 K-1 that I used to own (15 years ago) -- I think it was one of the very first mandocellos because the number was 8220 -- it looked a bit like it might have even been a prototype. But the neck was not a problem as I remember it.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Do you happen to have a good hi res pic of the nut on your mandocello? I was interested in comparing it the on on mine (also '37) because there was and "extra" nut in the case pocket that I think is probably the original nut-- the one on the instrument now is not ideal.
    I will dig it out of the closet and take a photo when I can. I am experiencing a bit of compute malfunction lately so it might take some time. Remind me if I haven't done it in a week or two.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I played this one http://www.acousticvibesmusic.com/ca...uxedocello.jpg at Acoustic Vibes last week. It was probably the nicest Weber Cello I have ever played. A little lacking in the low end, but the mids and highs were surprisingly nice & sparkly.

7. The following members say thank you to Gerry Cassidy for this post:

Hmmm... mandocello lacking in the lowend? Isn't that the point of a mandocello?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Hmmm... mandocello lacking in the lowend? Isn't that the point of a mandocello?
    I guess I should have been literal and stated this as "comparatively speaking". If you play enough mandocellos' you experience some that have more low end than others. I musn't make assumptions. I apologize.

10. The following members say thank you to Gerry Cassidy for this post:

No, I agree. You do need some mid- and higher-range tones even on a mandocello.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

OK, who's going to be first to take a chance on this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Curly-...item58a452d2c6

Eddie: I thought you were the designated test kitchen for the Cafe.

They have another one with a $600 BIN here. Strange... the first comes to $500 with shipping the second $750.

The scale length is a bit short for a mandocello:
    Scale length: 22.83"=580mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$T2eC16VHJHYFFkOG-5uPBSHcMKvjqQ~~60_3.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	106685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqZHJE0FIKRZHZCFBSHcMMf9Ng~~60_3.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	106686  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

OK, who's going to be first to take a chance on this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Curly-...item58a452d2c6
    That body scroll is... unfortunate.

They're listing a scale length of 22.83" so it isn't really a 'Cello anyway; more of an octave mandolin that got hit with the ugly stick.
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

Shipping is $150, so $350 for one (starting bid) and $600 for the other (starting bid)... buy both and get shipping half off on the second one... Step right up, folks...

You could sell the hardcase to cover the shipping...
    Last edited by Eddie Sheehy; Sep-12-2013 at 5:40pm.

I wouldn't say it is too ugly, but the neck is a little fat.

I think the neck is ok for a mandocello... perhaps just a tad wide, but at that price...

Total length: 37.80"= 960mm

Width : 14.09"=358mm

Thickness : 3.13"=79.49mm

Nut width: 1.58"=40.04mm

Maybe "adjust" it to be a 10-string Cittern... I'm tempted...

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    That body scroll is... unfortunate.

They're listing a scale length of 22.83" so it isn't really a 'Cello anyway; more of an octave mandolin that got hit with the ugly stick.
    That scroll reminds me of seeing the Crazy Horse monument back in the '80s when it was mostly drawn on the side of the mountain with one outcrop of rock pointing out (which was to become his index finger) into the distance...

Looks like it's coming along nicely, so there's hope for that scroll...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crazy horse.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	106696  

Of course "Air-Dried" is relative as to how dry the air is at the time...

Blog Entries

I think the neck is ok for a mandocello... perhaps just a tad wide, but at that price...

Total length: 37.80"= 960mm

Width : 14.09"=358mm

Thickness : 3.13"=79.49mm

Nut width: 1.58"=40.04mm
    I agree those neck dimensions seem OK-- the nut is just right,

But as mentioned that scale length is too short for a mandocello. I agree a 10 string cittern -- GDAEB? -- sounds good. Might not be worth the effort though?
    Bernie
    ____

Dang the cello above from Taiwan is intriguing for sure. Anyone hear one yet?

Quote Originally Posted by bahama View Post
    Dang the cello above from Taiwan is intriguing for sure. Anyone hear one yet?
    I have one of their mandolas. Decent sounding instrument but it will need some work when you get it. I had to level and re-crown the entire fretboard. Had to make a new nut and fit the bridge to the body. It took the better part of a day. She plays nicely now.

Thanks James