Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thile Bach CD has Landed

Default Re: Thile Bach CD has Landed

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Tracks View Post
    OK, just searched and found the original Mandolin Brothers ad for Loar #75318 and at least in those photos it had a silver tailpiece cover.....so it must have just been the way the light was reflected in the fountain photo.
    He hasn't had that one as long has he? It definitely could have been set up in time, but would it have been broken in well sound wise? He's been playing the other for a while now.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    I'm not a huge Bach fan but will probably pick this up. I'd rather hear a transcription of the late Beethoven piano sonatas but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
    It would have been one of my minor gripes with this project - i mean, compared with the breadth of material on Modern Mandolin Quartet's 'Americana' then an album of Bach is such a safe bet - but that'd be the gripe of someone quite spoiled for music.

I do hope though that if this album has legs - and makes a tidy profit - that there would be another instalment on another classical composer or two.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danielpatrick View Post
    I probably would not have purchased the sonatas and partitas although I did purchase the Cello Suites by Yo Yo Ma after I saw Master and Commander.

I also probably would have never bought a mandolin had I not heard "Can't Stop Now" while I was on hold with a guitar shop. I heard Sam Bush bought the New Grass Revival hits CD and that put me on the path I'm on now.
    I think a lot of peoples introduction to Bach might have been through television or movies - for me it would probably have been the music for certain cigar commercials. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK4FhPxJ6q8

The first Bach piece that really affected me though was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBeXF_lnj_M 'Erbarme dich, mein Gott' from St Matthieu's Passion - it was on a Bach arias and chorales collection i got when starting to explore classical music - i was'nt expecting it, it just broke my heart, it still does.

I like your story of your introduction to mandolin - very unique

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    A fair enough question, but you know - this is Mandolin Cafe. We're meant to be interested in the mandolin.
    Yikes - i did'nt realise it was obligatory!

I was asking because i know, from my own experience, that the addition of mandolin on most any genre of music will spark my curiosity. Mandolin content has been my introduction to many bands and even genres of music so, again i was curious to see if this was also a factor for some people when choosing to buy this album.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cecily_Mandoliner View Post
    Interesting questions. I listened to the 1970 Jascha Heifetz recording of Bach's unaccompanied Chaconne from the Partita No. 2 in D minor, from my dad's record collection and much, much later, I purchased a double-CD of Bach sonatas and partitas on the violin. I never got the nerve to try Bach on my violin.
    I am going to look for Thile's recording. When I first started my mandolin lessons, I showed a book of classical music to my teacher, and she directed me to YouTube to hear how these should/could sound. The first one I found was Chris Thile at the Grey Fox in 2011, playing Gigue from Bach's D minor Partita, and my jaw dropped. I want to hear more Bach... And, I'm finally trying it on my mandolin. Slowly... very slowly.
    I don't have much experience playing Bach pieces - but i imagine that even slowly it can be quite rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Marmot View Post
    Out of curiosity - just how many of you would have bought a Bach Sonatas + Partitas album if Mr Thile had not been involved?

Or even, how many would have bought a Bach Sonatas + Partitas album if it was not played on mandolin?
    FWIW, I count thirteen in my collection, although only eleven are the complete cycle...

Traveling Tracks Traveling Tracks's Avatar

new Thile video...just posted today
    Collings MF

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Traveling Tracks For This Useful Post:

the thing with me about Bach , especially the violin sonatas and partitas is they are like kata to a marshal arts practitioner.
    Kata ( don't know if i am spelling it right) is when you see the person doing the moves alone - usually slower than in a sparing match
    My left hand was injured badly last year and I could not play for almost 6 weeks, even then it was painful starting up again.
    So I worked on simple fiddle tunes just to get my fingers familiar again - but to really refresh my "musical spirit" I went back to the sonatas an partitas. I played them slow and had forgotten anything I memorized so reading music again was helpful as well.
    for the most part Bach's music for solo pieces can be applied to almost any chromatic instrument, the surprising twists and turns even in pieces I am very familiar with never cease to delight me.
    I was first introduced to Bach while studying classical guitar - his lute suites - while not really suited to mandolin- really inspired me and got me interested in all sorts of music I had never even thought about listening to, as we can clearly see - I am not alone.

Out of curiosity - just how many of you would have bought a Bach Sonatas + Partitas album if Mr Thile had not been involved?

Or even, how many would have bought a Bach Sonatas + Partitas album if it was not played on mandolin?
    I've got violin (baroque and modern) versions, as well as a viola and a mandolin recording. I haven't got this one, though, because I'm a cheapskate and never, ever buy new CDs. If I get it at all, it will have to find its way to a bargain bin or cheap eBay sale first. I can wait.... I've waited for many before this.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Tracks View Post

new Thile video...just posted today
    His left knee always seems to be in the way of seeing his left hand!

I love watching how his left hand always seems to glide effortlessly all over the neck - especially on the lower strings. Inspiring.
    David A. Gordon

Blog Entries

I think a lot of peoples introduction to Bach might have been through television or movies - for me it would probably have been the music for certain cigar commercials. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK4FhPxJ6q8

The first Bach piece that really affected me though was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBeXF_lnj_M 'Erbarme dich, mein Gott' from St Matthieu's Passion - it was on a Bach arias and chorales collection i got when starting to explore classical music - i was'nt expecting it, it just broke my heart, it still does.

I like your story of your introduction to mandolin - very unique
    Looney Tunes Cartoons. Bugs Bunny and Friends always had great music. When I got older I started hearing classical music and saying "Hey, that's the Bugs Bunny music!"
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I do own them. The solo cello works too. They're monumental works of the Baroque.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    Actually I originally purchased the violin version of all 6 suites by Hungarian violinist Andre Kiss to help learn them
    recently I purchased Sonatas and Partitas on solo mandolin by Shmuel Elbaz- and found I wasn't that far off on the ones I had been studying ( mostly Sonata #4)

was originally inspired by Mike Marshall's solo interpretations of various sonatas from various recordings

so YES

I haven't got a hold of Thile's recording - I think he is doing a solo performance at the college of St Rose in Albany in fall- might check that out.
    Do you have any info on that St. Rose gig? Please post it here!
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

It's on Chris's web page

SUNDAY 27 OCTOBER 2013
    Chris Thile live
    Chris Thile
    Massry Center for the Arts at the College of Saint Rose
    Albany, NY, US

I have at least three different recordings on modern and baroque violins. I also have versions of them as trumpet studies that I practice along with the Bach Cello Suites.

Blog Entries

I may pick up some Bach violin recordings as a result of Thile's which just arrived. I grew up listening to an older sister playing Bach, Beethoven, etc on piano and later I played various Bach on classical guitar. Just reading, however slowly and painfully through any Bach is a rewarding experience. It's not the instrument or the genre that is always the consideration, its the growing amount of CD's I have acquired. I wish I could have a music room like I spotted in a Tim O'Brian video with CD's neatly in rows in bookcases, etc. Alas, some of my music is stored in my garage, basement, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Harmon View Post
    I may pick up some Bach violin recordings as a result of Thile's which just arrived. I grew up listening to an older sister playing Bach, Beethoven, etc on piano and later I played various Bach on classical guitar. Just reading, however slowly and painfully through any Bach is a rewarding experience. It's not the instrument or the genre that is always the consideration, its the growing amount of CD's I have acquired. I wish I could have a music room like I spotted in a Tim O'Brian video with CD's neatly in rows in bookcases, etc. Alas, some of my music is stored in my garage, basement, etc.
    Do yourself a favor and pick up a violin recording for sure! It really doesn't matter which one for your first, though of course people will tell you some are better than others for various reasons. While I like the sound of some movements on mandolin more, there are movements that just don't work the same on mandolin, no matter how well they are played. Of all Bach's writing involving violin, these are still my favorites. And Thile only recorded half, so the other half of the album would be new!

Jess - that's what I like about Amazon cloud - they don't have a lot of stuff I had on vinyl - but still the selection is pretty good for folk BG and Classical -(surprised sometimes at the rare stuff they have as mp3 download - fairly cheap too) anything you buy from them they don't charge for storage and you can download as many times as you like to as many devices ( unlike ITunes)
    you can also listen from any pc or smartphone anywhere ( as long as you can connect)
    you can also upload your own mp3s, and they charge a reasonable annual fee for various storage allotments
    so I still have a pile of Cds down stairs- but I rarely use them
    just about all of my music is up the cloud

I have no financial interest in Amazon

Blog Entries

Thanks tm. I have been gradually getting acclimated to this lap-top--device technology. (gradually--picture my old arthritic dog going up some steep stairs) I do some of my best listening in the car driving and often make CD's of anything I get on i-tunes. I have some on Amazon cloud and haven't tried to burn a CD from them yet. Is that possible I wonder. I often burn my own collections of things I am working on in guitar and mandolin. Guess I still like the CD's however overpriced they are for the artwork and various information sometimes in the booklet. I still like the feel of something in my hands I have a kindle and an I-pad but still like the feel and look of a book. Like my old dog, I usually get where everyone else gets, just takes me a little longer.

I hear ya - they sometimes have the book as PDF download but - It's not the same

also CD's do not use MP3 format so you would have to download -then convert to wav before creating the CD - so probably more of a pain than it is worth
    I installed an MP3 player in my car - so I just load stuff on a thumb drive and we're off! ( takes less room in the car as well)

I imagine my grand kids will climb up on my lap and ask- "Grampy - tell us about the good old days of album cover art...."

Blog Entries

No point - no agenda - I just got those questions.

I simply wondering how many people here might venture into musical genres they normally would not try simply through their respect for Mr. Thile's playing.

I don't even know why i asked - i really was just curious.
    I got into classical music as a kid, and Bach in particular, through Switched on Back, by Wendy (nee Walter) Carlos. I think the same way Thile and Nickel Creek got a whole lot of people into bluegrass, he is going to bring a whole lot of people into classical. Its a good thing.

I really do hope folks then spread out a bit explore others who have played Bach on mandolin for the last 200 years. Its a grand and wonderful thing.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

the double presto...
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

Quote Originally Posted by John Duncan View Post
    the double presto...
    I need to listen a few more times before I can comment on the whole thing, but this comment is pretty much sums it up for that movement

It's almost too fast to be musical, but I pretty much don't care because it's just so dazzling.

Musically Omnivorous tablaninja's Avatar

Well, they don't call it "double presto" for nothing! Yeah, I can't believe that's even possible!
    He seems giddy about this CD release, as well he should be. So much so that he posted this earlier
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	105183
    My buddy lives near there so I let him know. Wish I was there!
    I simply cannot wait the see Thile's solo set in a few months. This CD is blowing my mind and I've been listening to Bach for 25 years.
    Last edited by tablaninja; Aug-06-2013 at 6:43pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    I love watching how his left hand always seems to glide effortlessly all over the neck - especially on the lower strings. Inspiring.
    Effortless playing chops, true... but short on mental effort, IMO. I really don't find the way he performs this to be inspiring.

(BTW, I love how it's captioned on YouTube: "Singer-songwriter and mandolinist Chris Thile performs a song for the PBS NewsHour." LOL)

Anyway, I don't say this to be contrarian, but no matter the tempo, the pulse of this Presto movement should always be felt as 3 beats of 2 notes in each measure, as opposed to 2 beats of 3 notes. Stressing the 4th notes instead of the 3rd and 5th notes obscures the internal syncopated magic rhythm of the piece. (Listen to someone play it as written, and the difference is really striking!) You can hardly tell that Bach actually wrote the time signature as 3/8 from listening to Thile's rendition, except for a few too-short bits here and there, where I guess he finds it convenient to play it as written for a while, before lapsing back into the Irish jig sounding mode again. I really wish someone would point this out to him... (not me, as I don't play well enough for him to take my advice seriously... but someone should!)

Don't get me wrong, some violinists do this too, and I think the same thing when they do as well. It's lazy, because it's taking the "path of least resistance" with the notes.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel