Thread: Thile Bach CD has Landed

Musically Omnivorous tablaninja's Avatar

Default Thile Bach CD has Landed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thile.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	105060

I found this on my door step when I got home today. Loving it so far! It's been many years since I've anticipated a recording this much. As much as I enjoy the sound of a classical mandolin, it's very refreshing to hear these pieces played on what I assume is a Lloyd Loar. Wow, loving this!

Default Re: Thile Bach CD has Landed

Got mine today. Listened to the first Sonata and Partita so far. May not have time for the other Sonata today. Loving it, and like you, been waiting a long time for this recording.

Listened to it this morning while out for a walk and was really impressed. I'm sure it will get better everytime I revisit it.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

Just listened to a bit of Lichtenberg and Avitel to keep my balance. Great, great stuff. And so is this. Really can't wait for the concert in October now. Great sound work on the recording as well by Meyer. Digging the liner note fountain photo too.

An official welcome to another new world for Thile and his Annabelle Lee. I should probably go see he and Daves play in the Blue Ridge Mountains on the Saturday before the Tuesday Bach concert in Evanston. That would make for a total mind blow.

(The Café has this elsewhere, but ....)
    I saw Homer & Jethro once. This mandolin therapy isn't helping me get over it.

'04 Andersen A (for keeps)
    Amateur Gibson F copy (for travel)
    Santa Rosa student model A (for the neighbor kids)

Traveling Tracks Traveling Tracks's Avatar

Got it! (and the signed artwork!!)
    Can't wait to see this live in the fall.
    Collings MF

Okay.....track 8....double:presto.....my brain just melted.
    Collings MF

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Out of curiosity - just how many of you would have bought a Bach Sonatas + Partitas album if Mr Thile had not been involved?

Or even, how many would have bought a Bach Sonatas + Partitas album if it was not played on mandolin?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by M.Marmot View Post
    Out of curiosity - just how many of you would have bought a Bach Sonatas + Partitas album if Mr Thile had not been involved?

Or even, how many would have bought a Bach Sonatas + Partitas album if it was not played on mandolin?
    I think not many. What's your point?
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Actually I originally purchased the violin version of all 6 suites by Hungarian violinist Andre Kiss to help learn them
    recently I purchased Sonatas and Partitas on solo mandolin by Shmuel Elbaz- and found I wasn't that far off on the ones I had been studying ( mostly Sonata #4)

was originally inspired by Mike Marshall's solo interpretations of various sonatas from various recordings

so YES

I haven't got a hold of Thile's recording - I think he is doing a solo performance at the college of St Rose in Albany in fall- might check that out.

I don't own any Bach violin or mandolin except for this. I did however get a musical education in a respected university School of Music that included a fair amount of baroque sans any mention of mandolin. Thank God for Bill Monroe and Jethro. I'm thinking this cuts both ways and a few more classical "long hairs' will be tempted to broaden their horizons as well.
    I saw Homer & Jethro once. This mandolin therapy isn't helping me get over it.

'04 Andersen A (for keeps)
    Amateur Gibson F copy (for travel)
    Santa Rosa student model A (for the neighbor kids)

11. The following members say thank you to mandolino maximus for this post:

I have the Partitas and Sonatas on violin.
    Marc B.

I'm not a huge Bach fan but will probably pick this up. I'd rather hear a transcription of the late Beethoven piano sonatas but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

I already own 4 or 5 different versions of the Sonatas and Partitas, so this is just one more, albeit with a bit more excitement than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    I'd rather hear a transcription of the late Beethoven piano sonatas but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
    I'm with you on the Beethoven. It's some of my all time favorite music, but I honestly don't know that even if you could, that it would work on a group of mandolin family instruments. I'd love to be proved wrong one day, if someone is crazy enough to try it!

I already own a fiddle version too. I wouldn't buy any of the other mandolin versions because I really don't enjoy the tone of the mandolinists on any of them. I mean, they play wonderfully, but sound like they're picking a Big Muddy or something, it's crazy (Nothing against Big Muddy mandolins here, I just mean it doesn't seem appropriate for the level and style of the performance to my poor ears). But Chris sounds great, so I will be forking over the cash for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Tracks View Post
    Got it! (and the signed artwork!!)
    Can't wait to see this live in the fall.
    Just got my mail today....so have not listened yet BUT I don't see where the artwork is signed? I did get the print but it does not seem to be signed.

Can someone explain where the signature is?

Thanks

I probably would not have purchased the sonatas and partitas although I did purchase the Cello Suites by Yo Yo Ma after I saw Master and Commander.

I also probably would have never bought a mandolin had I not heard "Can't Stop Now" while I was on hold with a guitar shop. I heard Sam Bush bought the New Grass Revival hits CD and that put me on the path I'm on now.

A fair enough question, but you know - this is Mandolin Cafe. We're meant to be interested in the mandolin.
    David A. Gordon

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

Booiehank 

I have purchased more than one recording of these pieces on violin. Heard a few movements here and there on other instruments as well. But I'm a Bach lover, especially of his chamber music.

Also, Beethoven's sonatina for mandolin is an insult to our instrument in my opinion (might be exaggerating a bit...but still, quite lame).

Always Improving Cecily_Mandoliner's Avatar

Interesting questions. I listened to the 1970 Jascha Heifetz recording of Bach's unaccompanied Chaconne from the Partita No. 2 in D minor, from my dad's record collection and much, much later, I purchased a double-CD of Bach sonatas and partitas on the violin. I never got the nerve to try Bach on my violin.
    I am going to look for Thile's recording. When I first started my mandolin lessons, I showed a book of classical music to my teacher, and she directed me to YouTube to hear how these should/could sound. The first one I found was Chris Thile at the Grey Fox in 2011, playing Gigue from Bach's D minor Partita, and my jaw dropped. I want to hear more Bach... And, I'm finally trying it on my mandolin. Slowly... very slowly.
    Weber Bitterroot F-Style Buckskin (2011)
    J Bovier A5-T
    Kentucky KM272 Vintage
    Trinity College Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, and Mandola
    Luna Guitars Passionflower Acoustic-Electric
    Taylor GSmini Guitar
    Ibanez Mini-dreadnought Tenor Guitar
    Gold Tone Cripple Creek Irish Tenor Banjo
    Klos Mandolin (on order)

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greg_tsam View Post
    I think not many. What's your point?
    No point - no agenda - I just got those questions.

I simply wondering how many people here might venture into musical genres they normally would not try simply through their respect for Mr. Thile's playing.

I don't even know why i asked - i really was just curious.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    Actually I originally purchased the violin version of all 6 suites by Hungarian violinist Andre Kiss to help learn them
    recently I purchased Sonatas and Partitas on solo mandolin by Shmuel Elbaz- and found I wasn't that far off on the ones I had been studying ( mostly Sonata #4)

was originally inspired by Mike Marshall's solo interpretations of various sonatas from various recordings

so YES

I haven't got a hold of Thile's recording - I think he is doing a solo performance at the college of St Rose in Albany in fall- might check that out.
    I'd imagine it would be a treat if you can attend.

I can't imagine what it would be like to learn and play these pieces on both violin and mandolin. That must be some experience.

Just for fun......anyone know for certain which Feb. 18th Loar Thile played on this Bach recording?
    My guess is the "new" one #75318 (which he acquired from Mandolin Brothers late Sept./early October of 2012 after winning the "genius grant") Again, that's my guess based on two things....one, the fact that he was probably very inspired by his recent purchase. (He bought it in the fall and his Bach S&P vol. 1 was recorded in January 2013....giving him enough time for it to be worked on and set-up to his liking. And two: his "first" Loar #75316 definitely has a silver tailpiece cover and inside the new Bach album liner notes there is the "fountain" picture and it appears the "new" Loar could have a gold tailpiece...not quite sure though as it could just be the light hitting it.
    Collings MF

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandolino maximus View Post
    I don't own any Bach violin or mandolin except for this. I did however get a musical education in a respected university School of Music that included a fair amount of baroque sans any mention of mandolin. Thank God for Bill Monroe and Jethro. I'm thinking this cuts both ways and a few more classical "long hairs' will be tempted to broaden their horizons as well.
    I think so too - that was one of my spurs for asking my question - really, i think that Mr Thile's genre bounding is doing the mandolin such a great service, really demonstrating its versatility as an instrument.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M.Marmot For This Useful Post:

OK, just searched and found the original Mandolin Brothers ad for Loar #75318 and at least in those photos it had a silver tailpiece cover.....so it must have just been the way the light was reflected in the fountain photo.
    Collings MF

Can someone explain where the signature is?
    I think the offer stated that the first 500 (or some such number) would be signed. So, both you and me stand at 501 and beyond, methinks.