Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Thile - Bach: Sonatas & Partitas 1

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Chris Thile - Bach: Sonatas & Partitas 1

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Chris Thile - Bach: Sonatas & Partitas 1

Nonesuch Records has announced the release of an album of three Bach works recorded by mandolin virtuoso and MacArthur Fellow Chris Thile scheduled for August 6. Bach: Sonatas and Partitas, Vol. 1 comprises three works written for solo violin: Sonata No. 1 in G minor, BWV 1001; Partita No. 1 in B minor, BWV 1002; and Sonata No. 2 in A minor, BWV 1003.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Chris Thile - Bach: Sonatas & Partitas 1

The album is now available for streaming from Spotify. Didn't see that mentioned anywhere yet.

Some seriously nice mandolin playing.
    Kentucky KM-505
    Mandola by local luthier
    Gedo double bass
    Fender Kingman abg
    and some other instruments

My thoughts,
    many years ago, [1800's into the 1900's] mandolin/s where played in many genres of music in small groups up and into full orchestras. How nice to see (hear) someone coloring outside the lines in their own musical coloring book.

Now maybe someone would learn a little Indian music from the real India and on the way back stop off in Northern New Mexico and listen to the "La Musica de los Viejitos."

Mr. Thile, a job very well done, thank you, (P).

jannehh, I don't see it on Spotify...
    care to copy and paste the HTTP link to the album?

I do not see that this album is streaming on Spotify quite yet. It is still a preorder, except for track#2.

Quote Originally Posted by grassgreen View Post
    jannehh, I don't see it on Spotify...
    care to copy and paste the HTTP link to the album?
    Couldn't find a way to give a link to whole album on my mobile but this is the link for the first track:
    http://open.spotify.com/track/1de7hnpXgwiL9mI3a9JoUv

Of course, it could be that it's available in Europe due to some mistake.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Aug-20-2014 at 7:04am. Reason: link only works if you're logged in to spotify
    Kentucky KM-505
    Mandola by local luthier
    Gedo double bass
    Fender Kingman abg
    and some other instruments

Quote Originally Posted by jannehh View Post
    Of course, it could be that it's available in Europe due to some mistake.
    I'm listening to it here in the UK, so it might well be a geographical issue.

Bach, Loar, Thile: absolutely stunning. Just received my copy in the mail. It occurs to me that 90 years later Lloyd Loar's dream has finally come true: the mandolin soloist has achieved what has formerly been the provence of only the greatest violinists. Bravo, bravo, bravo!!! Chris has gone beyond and created Bach joy as no one ever before.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Central For This Useful Post:

Musically Omnivorous tablaninja's Avatar

Now maybe someone would learn a little Indian music from the real India and on the way back stop off in Northern New Mexico and listen to the "La Musica de los Viejitos."

Actually, I'm studying North Indian classical music on my mandolin. But it was seeing Thile play Bach on YouTube that inspired me to start playing mandolin.

I just got it delivered on iTunes. It's gonna be a late night...

Up on Spotify now and iTunes!

Hm, the digital booklet in my iTunes download won't open with Acrobat or anything else. Anyone else having that problem?

Blog Entries

Try re-downloading it. Does it open in the Books tab of iTunes?

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I find it interesting that there are already 2 very negative reviews on ITunes of Thile's interpretations of these pieces...

Whenever I purchase classical music on ITunes, I always read the reviews + usually learn a lot. You can tell that many of the writers are serious or professional musicians who know these pieces inside and out, and have great insights to offer.

As mandolinists, I think the vast majority of us are consistently blown away with both Thile's technique and the way he interprets a piece....Do other musicians simply not "get" what a mandolin can / cannot do? Is it fair to compare what Thile is doing to what a famous violinist can do?

I really like the new CD so far (and I grew up playing Bach on piano), so I was a little disappointed to see it get "slammed" by reviewers who, based on what they wrote, are probably serious musicians who really know Bach...

I didn't interpret the negative reviews as people that were making educated criticism, they seemed to have an axe to grind. One sentence statements criticizing the preview of the first track seems pretty amateur to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Try re-downloading it. Does it open in the Books tab of iTunes?

Jamie
    Thanks Jamie - I re-downloaded it with the same result. It doesn't open in the Books tab either.

18. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jstring View Post
    I find it interesting that there are already 2 very negative reviews on ITunes of Thile's interpretations of these pieces...
    Those 2 reviews are just silly though: #1 "reminds me of a sewing machine" and #2 "makes my ears bleed".

My booklet opened fine in Adobe. PM me your email and I'll send a pdf of the booklet to you if you can't get it to work.

Giving this a listen today. Inspiring.
    Last edited by Don Grieser; Aug-06-2013 at 5:19pm.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Blog Entries

About 60 people, myself included, were treated to a Chris Thile Bach rehearsal/mini concert in Tompkins Square Park today around 4:00 p.m. I'm in town with my family after picking up our daughter at a choir camp. We were shopping downtown and Chris posted a note on Twitter he was headed there to rehearse. I thought about five seconds and jumped in a cab and made it there. Have some video but connection in the hotel is bad so won't try to upload that until I'm home in a day or two. What a rare treat to hear live Bach in the park. Pretty special moment, and everyone there really was enjoying the moment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chris-in-tompkins-park.jpg 
Views:	4732 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	105184

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

Hey thats too cool, right on Chris. Listening to it as I type on Spotify, fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    My booklet opened fine in Adobe. PM me your email and I'll send a pdf of the booklet to you if you can't get it to work.

Giving this a listen today. Inspiring.
    Thanks Don, that's very kind of you - fortunately someone else was kind enough to step forward and send me one already, so I'm good!

I just bought it last week. Holy Flying Monkeys.

This confirms my belief that J.S. Bach traveled into the future very early in his career, saw a mandolin and was so moved that he wrote much of his music for it. He must of wept bitterly and often knowing his music would be played on lesser instruments.
    Breedlove KO
    Dieter Kennaquhair Octave
    Michael Kelly Festival F-Style
    Ibanez Bowl back

I'm a bluegrass fan and a student of classical music. In most of the venues where I hear mandolin, the subtle arts are lost. Mr Thile, in my opinion is a genius and has mastered the dynamics and art of classical music. This is a beautiful collection

For those of you familiar with Glenn Gould's solo piano renditions of Bach (The Goldberg Variations), Thiele is the Glenn Gould of the Mandolin..... Bravo! What a master!

I made a Spotify playlist of all record releases of Chris Thile playing Bach.
    This playlist is also available on Youtube Music.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6N...70a76c6b004eb9

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grassgreen For This Useful Post: