Thread: Ithaca jamming

Default Ithaca jamming

Hey all,

I'm moving up to Ithaca this week to start grad school at Cornell. Any insight on jams/sessions/meet-ups in the area? I know it's a musical town, especially for old-time.

(I could just search this online, but I figure you guys will give me faster and more accurate feedback).

Thanks,

MV
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

Default Re: Ithaca jamming

Hey MV, welcome to The Peoples Republic Of Ithaca. There really isn't a lot of quality jamming opportunities in Ithaca itself. If you get into town in time, I recommend that you come up to Pickin' In The Pasture which starts 8/22. The Pasture is about 1/2 hour north of Ithaca and hosts what is probably the largest gathering of acoustic musicians in this part of the state. There is quite a bit of jamming that goes on and you could probably get hooked up with some area musicians for future sessions. www.pickininthepasture.com Also, in January, my friend Rick Manning puts on Winter Village Bluegrass Festival which is an indoor event. There will be some great bands coming into Ithaca for this event.

Blog Entries

There is a contra dance every Wednesday during the summer, that uses a pick up band. They play from a set of tunes compiled and available on the internet. All are welcome. Every Monday night there is a jam playing out of those tunes, at a private house. Once a week there is a hard core old time jam at various announced private houses.

There are many and various musical events and festivals through out the year, including the excellent bluegrass festival(s) mentioned above.

And that is the beginning.

PM me for details if you want.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Check out Cornell Folk Song Society. Been around more than 50 years, has a good website with links, sponsors singing parties etc.

There's an Ithaca Bluegrass Jam listed on the folkjam.org website.

Finally, Eric Aceto's Ithaca Stringed Instruments is a luthiery shop that might have some good referrals.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I think you are in luck... There seems to be an active mando community and a good instrument store, though I was looking for a banjo when I was there so I didn't pay much attention to mandos. I was at a "jam" of sorts where there was a whole bunch of newish Webers and a bunch of players of beginner to middle range. I suspect there is a lot of activity for you to search out.
    Bart McNeil