Thread: Loar period bridge on ebay...London Bridge price range..

Default Loar period bridge on ebay...London Bridge price range..

Default Re: Loar period bridge on ebay...London Bridge price range..

Seems really high for a bridge, but you never know, someone may be looking for one of those with deep pockets. I also noticed he/she has violin for sale as a "Stradivarius" that has a label inside of "Jacobus Stainer", which is certainly not the same maker. The description of that item is inaccurate, and some sellers know little about what they are selling.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I bought one of those for half that price a couple of months ago. Of course, it didn't have a paper towel beneath it . . . just a snakehead.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I have one of these "Loar period" bridges on my 1916 F-4 (not the original bridge so obviously a replacement). I guess that adds $2K to it's value. Hooray!!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

They probably think that someone with a $200,000 mandolin that doesn't have an exact period correct bridge might want one and be willing to pay. In a lot of things that might be true- a headlamp from an old Auburn for example--I don't think so in this case. Do you think that they actually have possession of all those instruments or are they acting as a broker site? or is it just somebody from Ohio trying to market to Australia? Aussie's do pay more for stuff than we do usually though the differences are getting closer year by year. 15 years ago you could carry one good guitar over and pretty much pay for the trip- add a little high quality fishing gear and you were payed to take the trip.
    That seems mostly over now as Australia has relaxed some of their importation rules.

In both cases the Strad and the Stainer --they are of course not by either of those makers.
    Last edited by barney 59; Aug-11-2013 at 12:37pm.

Barney, the OP is in Australia, and linked to eBay's site there by default. The seller of the bridge (which may not be Loar era at all) is in Ohio, and the original listing is on the US site. They're quite happy to ship globally for anyone fool enough to shell out $2K on something that is pretty close to worthless. The listing is longstanding and has been the subject of much humour in previous threads here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houseworker View Post
    Barney, the OP is in Australia, and linked to eBay's site there by default. The seller of the bridge (which may not be Loar era at all) is in Ohio, and the original listing is on the US site. They're quite happy to ship globally for anyone fool enough to shell out $2K on something that is pretty close to worthless. The listing is longstanding and has been the subject of much humour in previous threads here.
    Yes I think that bridge has been on eBay for at least a couple of years -- same bridge. same paper towels, same silly shipping charges. The seller is waiting for a sucker to come along and who knows it could happen -- but I think it is pretty unlikely. Do you know anyone who owns a Lora-signed, Gibson mandolin who is actually clueless about mandolins or what he/she has in their possession ? I don't. So it will probably be a long wait.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Suckers are born every minute, or made into + there is way too many people with boatloads of money that spend it on well whatever
    "Look honey I bought a part for a mandolin that's big money,now lets buy the mandolin and nail it to the wall,it must be a work of art"