Thread: Kentucky KM-160 without Truss Rod?

Default Kentucky KM-160 without Truss Rod?

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could help me identify a mandolin. Or specifically answer the question, was the Kentucky KM-160 once built without a truss rod?

I purchased a used Kentucky KM-160 off of Guitar Center and upon receiving the instrument I noticed that it did not have the inlay on the head stock or any indication of a truss rod. Perhaps this is an older example before they changed the design. I also find it odd that it has no serial number. The sticker inside the body lists its type but the space for a serial is blank.
    I know truss rods are important for the longevity and future maintenance of the instrument etc. I paid about two-thirds of what a new KM-160 costs so I am in a toss-up about whether to exchange it on a new 160.

Thanks for any advice,
    Tom

Default Re: Kentucky KM-160 without Truss Rod?

I found an identical mandolin on Elderly Instruments, http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-4230.htm

Does anyone have any information about this model of KM-160? When they were made, quality, etc?

I don't have any information that is helpful to you. But just FYI if you bought this from GC and wish to return it I believe you have 3 days to decide ( for vintage instruments).

while there are lots of mandolins without truss rod, and many will debate whether truss Ross are even necessary on such short neck instrument, I wonder if the lower end instruments like the KM160 had any reinforcement in the neck to keep it from bowing. Personally I would properly opt for the model with the truss rod but if you like sound and the neck plays fine the way it is now, then you may want to just keep it, and start planning for your next upgrade which will come inevitably.

Good luck and welcome to the cafe.

The one you have was almost certainly made in Korea, and is probably all laminate. It's a poor saving, and I'd be inclined to get the latest Chinese model which is a far better instrument.

Thank you for the advice. I will head over to Guitar Center today to see about exchanging it for a new 160.