Blog Entries

Default 1924 Lloyd Loar Sighting in Pittsburgh

c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Default Re: 1924 Lloyd Loar Sighting in Pittsburgh

They seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

Should be Mac Martin's #75845 (www.thedixietravelers.com). Anybody know what it sounds like?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Should be Mac Martin's #75845 (www.thedixietravelers.com). Anybody know what it sounds like?
    Agreed on the Serial- appears to match photos we have of 75845
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

That Blue Chip died and went to heaven.

I was going to guess "Bob Artis" who plays with The Allegheny Drifters. I saw him and the Drifters a few years back. He had his L. Loar with him in concert. Bob had played with Mac (as so many probably have). Bob might not appreciate being referred to as an older gentleman as he would be much younger than Mac.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Ah! One of the Mac Martin Loars! Since I am the one who took all the photos shown in the archives what I recall about it is (as seen in the late 80's) is this one has the virzi removed. A unique pearl with black engraved boarder truss rod cover that is likely original. It was in fair to very good condition as this was his daily "beater" Loar at the time. The photos were taken in my Hilton hotel room in downtown Pittsburg during a Ceramic Convention I was attending. Mac brought several instruments like some prewar bones and we sat around pickin' a bit. Mac said it was easier if he came to me instead of me trying to find him in such a large city. Sound? A typical '24 with virzi removed sound which in plain Loar talk is pretty good but not a great one. Others would argue but to me the worst Loar I've ever played was still pretty darn good. This is not one of the worst but more typical '24 sound. Neck was a bit tiny for me as many in this era are but not as tiny as the Dec Loars. It also had what we think is the original outer case cover with it. Only a few of these have been found intact on Loar cases today as the canvas material seem to just rot and fall apart over time.

8. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Bob Artis could be considered an older gentle. Bob's Loar I believe is a '23. It's been a long while since I've seen it but I don't think it is that one. Mac has more than one Loar? Well he was there in the beginning and probably got 'em cheap! I remember him bringing one to Wednesday night jams at Walsh's Bar in the 70's. He never played mandolin with the Dixie Travelers in all the many times I saw them play in the 60's and 70's. Bob Artis was with the Dixie Travelers for several years in the 70's. Mac Martin has a special talent where by he can hear a song once and remember all the lyrics and remember them forever. Mac's been coming out here to California and I've caught him a couple of times. They form a band when he comes and call themselves the "California Travelers" with Butch Waller,Keith Little,Kathy KallicK(sp),and Paul Shelasky(also sp)
    This was an appraisal right? He's not necessarily unloading. He surely has a pretty good idea what it's worth. He must need something on paper.

10. The following members say thank you to barney 59 for this post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I doubt it was Bob's. Everyone around Pgh knows Bob and his Loar. It would not have been a surprise to Steve.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Blog Entries

I highly doubt It was Bob's Loar!,Bob has had that for a long time and everytime I see him the Loar is with him. And just like Dave said above most all pickers around here Know Bob and plus his is a 23 Loar not 24. Well maybe someone needed the value written down from a Dealer with Company letterhead for Value? or?

We are 100% sure it once belonged to Mac Martin of Pittsburgh. Who has it now is the question. Did Artis get it? Did someone else get it? Does Mac still have it? And again, this one is not out of the woodwork. It's been documented for well over 30 years.

Tom, it's so cool that you have the historical references so neatly arranged whether in your head or in some immense file somewhere, if it was in my head(lots of room in there) I would mis file everything, in a file, I would have lost the blooming key and not be able to access it. Thank goodness for guys like you, and Dan B. and so on. The collective knowledge so generously shared on this site is amazing!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Absolutely, Timbofood. Only thing that bugs me about f5loar is that I can't help thinking - against better knowledge - f5loar looks like his panopticon avatar.

it's not for sale. it was in for appraisal I believe
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

When I first met Mac, I was maybe 18, I thought of him as this "old guy" but now many years later I must be much older then he was when I first met him. When I talked to him a couple of years ago he appeared in remarkably good shape and much younger than he must be. If I'm counting on my fingers correctly Mac must be much closer to 90 than to 80. Mac ,who as "Bill" in his other profession was something like an accountant. It would not be unreasonable to think that as a prudent man that maybe he's getting his affairs in order. A Loar (or two?) is likely to be a big part of his estate.