Thread: Please help me choose my first mandolin!

Default Best mandolins under £300?!

Hey guys, i'm completely new here so sorry for not being so informative.

I've been playing guitar and bass for 3 years now
    I recently have been watching a lot of videos on YouTube on mandolins.
    They sound so beautiful (sorry for being cheesy) and i'm really clean on getting one to learn. But i don't want to spend a lot of money on my first, mainly because i'm only 15 and don't have a lot money. Please could you list be some mandolins which you think are worth getting?

Thanks.
    Last edited by JEStanek; Aug-20-2013 at 10:27am. Reason: removed age reference

Default Please help me choose my first mandolin!

Hey guys, i'm completely new here so sorry for not being so informative.

I've been playing guitar and bass for 3 years now
    I recently have been watching a lot of videos on YouTube on mandolins.
    They sound so beautiful (sorry for being cheesy) and i'm really clean on getting one to learn. But i don't want to spend a lot of money on my first, mainly because i'm only 15 and don't have a lot money. Please could you list be some mandolins which you think are worth getting under £300 ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by JEStanek; Aug-20-2013 at 10:27am. Reason: removed age reference

Default Re: Please help me choose my first mandolin!

That's like fixin up a buddy with a GF...taboo

Go try a few out until you find one that works best for you.

I would love to but where I live (Norfolk, uk) doesn't exactly have many guitar or mandolin shops

seek musicians...buy them beer, test drive their instruments

First thing I might do is contact Trevor at The Acoustic Music Compay in Brighton. His store is recognized as having about the best stock of mandolins in the UK. The Hobgoblin chain of shops also carries several lines of mandolin.

You're planning to spend around $450 US. For that price, make sure you get all solid woods, no laminates. If you can find an instrument with a carved top, rather than one that's been heat-pressed into shape, that's also a plus. How will you know? The specifications for the instrument will state that it's "solid," "carved," or "hand-carved," if it is. Don't be taken in by adjectives like "select spruce top." If it doesn't say "solid," it's plywood.

You will find several styles of mandolin. For the price range you're considering, I'd stay away from F-models, with the fancy carved scroll and the additional points on the sides. Carving those mostly ornamental features adds to the cost of a mandolin, and so you often find, with similarly-priced F-models and A-models (without those features), that the "plainer" A-models provide more "bang for the buck" (or for the pound, in your case).

You will find brands like Kentucky and Loar, if they're available, have decent lower-priced, solid-wood instruments. Hobgoblin has its Ashbury line of mandolins, and there are solid-wood carved models available in that series. You'll be dealing with Asian-made instruments in that price range, in almost all cases, although Stentor does import some of its Ozark models from Eastern Europe, I believe.

Most important is to get a good set-up. What's that? It's inspecting, testing and adjusting the bridge height and location, the nut height and slotting, the height and seating of the frets, and the proper "relief," or slight curvature, of the neck, via the adjustable truss rod. (Did I mention to be sure and buy an instrument with an adjustable truss rod? Should have.) In many cases, also means replacing the "factory" strings with better ones. If you buy on-line from some of the big European dealers (like Thomann), you're pretty sure just to get an instrument "out of the box," the way it was shipped from China. There can be a lot more tweaking to get a mandolin "right," than you find with your guitars. An experienced and reputable dealer will be capable of doing the set-up for you.

So: finding a good dealer, with a decent selection for your trial and testing, and with staff that do proper set-ups, is a good first step. You're a musician already, so you don't need to be advised about getting an electronic tuner, and a decent case or gig bag to keep the instrument in. A-model, solid woods, carved top if possible, and pro set-up, pretty much covers the bases. And it does make sense to find other musicians who may have tips as to good dealers, good makes and models, etc. There are many opinions as to this or that brand and model as "best," but the important thing is to get a decent instrument that's playable as you learn.

Good luck!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

7. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Default Re: Best mandolins under £300?!

George, this is the same basic question you asked in this thread in the "Information About Mandolins" forum. Tried to answer it there...

Don't need to start two identical threads; I'm going to suggest that the moderators combine 'em.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Well... unfortunately he can't buy anyone beer at 15...not in the UK and finding mandolin players in that part of the world is not easy. Pretty thin on the ground. I know of a couple... but they are about as scarce as they are where I live.

Hobgoblin do stock the Kentucky KM-140 and KM-160, though, both of which are in budget and they do a setup.

I somehow doubt Trevor has anything in that price range, unfortunately, but still worth contact because I'm sure he'd be happy to advise.

Choice will depend somewhat on what kind of music George is hoping to play... folk? bluegrass? jazz? classical? contemporary?
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

10. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Welcome to the Cafe George..........Allen Hopkins has provided lots of great advice above.
    Three mandolin brands that come to mind within your price range are those by Eastman, Kentucky, & The Loar.
    Check them out.........attempt to play them if possible & select the one pleasing to eye & ear.
    On the right of the Cafe web page are a # of mandolin links........go to The Mandolin Store link & on the left side of their link are A-model & F-model tabs.........click these & check out the mandos in your price range as many of these have short MP3 sound clips........it ain't quite like playing the mando in person BUT it is better than nothing & will give you a sense for how some of these mandos sound.
    Best of luck.
    Peace,
    Jim Ferguson

Kentucky KM1000

~Give Blood-Play Hockey

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Ferguson for this post:

Man, it's all about timing I'd have happily given you my old moon mandolin, it was a bit folky but with the right set up would have been a good starter. Good luck with your search, maybe have a look on eBay, but definitely try the thing before you buy, and find someone who knows about mandolin set ups.

C

14. The following members say thank you to 55bar for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Hobgoblin do stock the Kentucky KM-140 and KM-160, though, both of which are in budget and they do a setup.
    Second this suggestion. And Setup is important.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

16. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Thanks a lot guys you have really helped me!

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    First thing I might do is contact Trevor at The Acoustic Music Compay in Brighton. His store is recognized as having about the best stock of mandolins in the UK. The Hobgoblin chain of shops also carries several lines of mandolin.

You're planning to spend around $450 US. For that price, make sure you get all solid woods, no laminates. If you can find an instrument with a carved top, rather than one that's been heat-pressed into shape, that's also a plus. How will you know? The specifications for the instrument will state that it's "solid," "carved," or "hand-carved," if it is. Don't be taken in by adjectives like "select spruce top." If it doesn't say "solid," it's plywood.

You will find several styles of mandolin. For the price range you're considering, I'd stay away from F-models, with the fancy carved scroll and the additional points on the sides. Carving those mostly ornamental features adds to the cost of a mandolin, and so you often find, with similarly-priced F-models and A-models (without those features), that the "plainer" A-models provide more "bang for the buck" (or for the pound, in your case).

You will find brands like Kentucky and Loar, if they're available, have decent lower-priced, solid-wood instruments. Hobgoblin has its Ashbury line of mandolins, and there are solid-wood carved models available in that series. You'll be dealing with Asian-made instruments in that price range, in almost all cases, although Stentor does import some of its Ozark models from Eastern Europe, I believe.

Most important is to get a good set-up. What's that? It's inspecting, testing and adjusting the bridge height and location, the nut height and slotting, the height and seating of the frets, and the proper "relief," or slight curvature, of the neck, via the adjustable truss rod. (Did I mention to be sure and buy an instrument with an adjustable truss rod? Should have.) In many cases, also means replacing the "factory" strings with better ones. If you buy on-line from some of the big European dealers (like Thomann), you're pretty sure just to get an instrument "out of the box," the way it was shipped from China. There can be a lot more tweaking to get a mandolin "right," than you find with your guitars. An experienced and reputable dealer will be capable of doing the set-up for you.

So: finding a good dealer, with a decent selection for your trial and testing, and with staff that do proper set-ups, is a good first step. You're a musician already, so you don't need to be advised about getting an electronic tuner, and a decent case or gig bag to keep the instrument in. A-model, solid woods, carved top if possible, and pro set-up, pretty much covers the bases. And it does make sense to find other musicians who may have tips as to good dealers, good makes and models, etc. There are many opinions as to this or that brand and model as "best," but the important thing is to get a decent instrument that's playable as you learn.

Good luck!
    Thanks a lot man, very useful

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Cafe, George.
    I merged the two threads.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Welcome to the Cafe, George.
    I merged the two threads.

Jamie
    Thanks a lot!