Thread: repertoire suggestions for octave mandolin

Default repertoire suggestions for octave mandolin

Happy birthday to me,
    my wife let me order my first octave mandolin! The short scale length octave mandolin is being crafted by Gypsy music with a sitka spruce top, cocobolo back and sides, and a radiused mahogany neck with ebony fretboard.

I`m trying to prepare for the arrival of the new addition to the family. Although over the past several years i`ve been focusing on choro and classical on my mandolin, I enjoy pretty much all types of music. Does anyone have suggestions for pieces which would take advantage of the unique characteristics of the octave mandolin? I would appreciate some input.

looking forward to your recomendations
    Mark

Default Re: repertoire suggestions for octave mandolin

Hi. To start I am jealous. I love that cocobolo. as soon as I pay the bills off I want a mandola from gypsy done the same way.

I don't play much traditional stuff on mine, but it sure makes can't you see (marshall tucker), Ophelia (The Band), Lonely People (America), Take it easy (Eagles, including the solo and guitar riffs) and a couple others sound really good... Wanted dead or alive, bon jovi, Till I am myself, Blue Rodeo.

I am only part redneck so far haha
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Congrats, with a short scale OM your options are expanded. For classical, you can play any violin piece (just play it an octave lower), cello pieces by transposing up a 5th. Similarly you can borrow repertoire from any kind of fiddle tune Celtic, Bluegrass, etc. You can also adapt chord melody type arrangements from guitar for folk and rock applications. In addition, folk repertoire from diverse traditions such as Scandinavian hardanger, Balkan komuz, Middle Eastern oud, or even Japanese shamisen can be adapted to octave mandolin.

In any case, when playing a traditional fiddle, violin, cello, guitar, etc. part on the octave mandolin you don't try to exactly mimic the original instrument but adapt and bring out the best characteristics of the OM voicing, tone, style, etc. This includes taking advantage of a range closer to the average human voice (not soprano), using double stops, playing around with drones, etc.
    Last edited by jmp; Aug-23-2013 at 6:50pm.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

If it's classical you'll be playing, think viola and cello parts. Yeah, the range is in between the two, as it's neither a mandola or mandocello, but you can have a great time using it as an "active bass line" if you want to keep the more single-string/single note thing going. Chords are chords, but the great thing I've found with the lower-voiced mando family instruments is how they can fill in beautifully when in a group setting with higher-pitched instruments, the mandolins, the violins, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mark sinkoff View Post
    Does anyone have suggestions for pieces which would take advantage of the unique characteristics of the octave mandolin?
    Try anything that you already play on mandolin. Those unique characteristics of the OM force you to approach those pieces differently, and a lot of times, I discover some interesting things inside the tunes and songs that I already play on mando. For playing back-up in bluegrass, I sometimes play a two-finger modal chop chord. It picks up the sustain from my oval-hole OM, so it isn't a chop chord as we usually think of it. Plus, without the major or minor third, it brings a different texture.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I am currently working on the bach concerto for two violins in d minor which I think will sound great with one of the voices on the OM and the other on mandolin.I am not familiar with cello pieces, but transposing should not be a problem and is a great idea to look into.

Does anyone have specific recomendations for celtic music?

mark

Celtic is a whole 'nother world, which is broad and full of potential. There, the bouzouki will hold supreme, which from a voicing standpoint, is essentially the same thing. It's not the tune that matters there, it's how it's arranged. The best bet is to listen to bunches of stuff and see what stands out for you. For quick starter, listen to Dervish, which features both an octave and a mandolin, also the latest Nuala Kennedy band iteration; she's a flutist, but has had the same bouzouki/mandolin tandem going.

I think coming from classical, you'll probably be more drawn to Sharon Shannon who's Irish music, while traditional, has a very "classical" sensibility to it. She's a button box player, but teams up with guys like Jim Murray, who are phenomenal. As a sampler, look for "Jim's Jigs" and the way that uses arrangements. "Hogs and Heifers" is another one that shows a very classical approach to arranging. Sharon plays a very dry-tuned box (whole other subject) so her playing can sound very violin like.

She also goes Galician at times, so I think you'll find her music more inspiring than most coming from the background you have.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll certainly look into the artists you suggested. I also just picked up the John McGann book and am looking and looking forward to working my way through it.

I love playing Scottish bagpipe music on my octave and it lets me try to emulate the piper's ornamentations by using hammer-ons and pull-offs and double stops/drones. But then, I am Scottish! The octave can handle loads of traditional material and as has been said, a lot of mandolin stuff you already play will sound good on the octave too. I probably play my octave more than my mandolin nowadays.

can you suggest a couple of pieces? I have enjoyed the "scottish mandolin tutor" and am looking forward to trying
    it out with the OM.

Here are links to a couple I have over on YouTube. The first is a medley of "The Bloody Fields of Flanders" and "Battle of the Somme", both tunes from World War 1, and the second is "Lochanside" another pipe march.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Qy0IFCPVZpk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=I5od6Lm0WGM

Those are sweet, John. Thanks for those. Any tune with "blood" in the title is also an instant hit with the kid's fiddle club.

There is a book of transcribed Martin Hayes fiddle solos that work quite well on octave mandolin:

http://www.melbay.com/Products/Defau...ductID=97291_R

I appreciate everyones input and the especially enjoyed the videos. Just got word that my om will be shipped on tuesday. meanwhile I`m developing great callouses(sp?) getting ready!

In Irish tunes, the ones I like playing on the OM are those that take advantage of the lower courses of strings. That can either be most of the tune genuinely being lower or that it sweeps through the low and mids. Basically, if you're going to hang out on the highest pitched strings for the whole tune, you might as well have played the tune on the regular mandolin.

One "sweeping" tune I like to play on my OM is "Tobin's Favorite": http://thesession.org/tunes/308

The "A" part of "The Geese In The Bog" (http://thesession.org/tunes/43) hangs out on the lower strings with a nice balance in the "B" part.

Just this last week, I actually cloned the entire database of tunes from TheSession.org specifically looking for tunes that fit these 2 patterns. I haven't had the time to do the actual analysis, but I have some ideas on how to find them. I'll make a note to come back to this thread when I've identified more tunes.

16. The following members say thank you to jwynia for this post: