Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Thile: WSJ Interview...Yup, he's a certifiable genius!

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Chris Thile: WSJ Interview...Yup, he's a certifiable genius!

Nevermind the advertisement encapsulated in this, this guy is a certifiable genius!

I appreciate all kinds of music having studied classical trumpert for 11 years, played R&B, Jazz-Rock, Blues, Folk-Rock...and Bluegrass is my passion; but this guy is above "rocks".

He's on another planet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXDL...layer_embedded

I tried to embed this, to no avail. When the new window opens the video will not be activiated till you click the "subscribe" link to the WSJ.

It's worth the extra little effort here...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chris Thile: WSJ Interview...Yup, he's a certifiable genius!

This was in another post, I believe. I went ahead and embedded for you. It's a great video that bears to be repeated.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to greg_tsam For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I went to the Detroit Symphony last year, there were so many interesting things in the arrangements, and I wanted to applaud every time

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rb3868 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I agree whole heartedly with his comments about the performers aren't stilted but the audiences are. When I go to BG festivals sometimes I feel like standing up and dancing a little but the lawn chair po-po poo poo's on that sort of thing sometimes. They don't mind leaving their silly chairs set-up all day EMPTY though.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greg_tsam For This Useful Post:

Chris is coming to Ireland in Nov missed him last time out but got tickets today, don't think there'll be many people not moving to him here

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greg_tsam View Post

This was in another post, I believe. I went ahead and embedded for you. It's a great video that bears to be repeated.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I agree whole heartedly with his comments about the performers aren't stilted but the audiences are. When I go to BG festivals sometimes I feel like standing up and dancing a little but the lawn chair po-po poo poo's on that sort of thing sometimes. They don't mind leaving their silly chairs set-up all day EMPTY though.
    He used the word "reserved", not "stilted", different meaning. At the BG festivals those empty chairs are for your use , if you don't mind being bumped out once in a while. I always take a front row seat if its empty, and rarely get evicted. Alot of those folks are sleeping off a binge, eating or picking music somewhere else and don't mind if you borrow the chair when empty.

Nice post...thanks...I like that he doesn't play Rebecca and Temperance Reel so lightning fast that the music is lost in a flurry of notes.

Blog Entries

Regarding genre hopping - perhaps its the single genre musician that is the new phenomenon. I recall an interview with Paul Simon where he talked about his upbringing and specifically his father, who was a professional musician. And how his Dad had to be good at every kind of music, today he would be called up to back up a popular singer, tomorrow he had to play in a classical orchestra, or do a tango show. To get work the man had to take on all of music.

The phenomenon of the super star, I am thinking, is what changed things, and how the super star is all that most people pay attention to, so becoming a super star is what most budding musicians aspire to.

Because Thile is more right than he is wrong in this, the differences between genres of music are aesthetic choices, one doesn't have to be black or poor or have a raging cocaine addiction to play the blues - one has to learn and master the techniques and aesthetic choices of the genre. True of any genre.

The entire staff
    funny....

Recently read an interview of Thile where he talked about the differences between what a violin can do and a mandolin can do when playing Bach, how the mandolin could do some things the violin could not and vice versa...how some things were hard to impossible on violin and some hard to impossible on mandolin. The depth of study required was wayyyyyyyy beyond my full understanding, but fascinating none the less. When it comes right down to it, Chris has focused exclusively on music since he dropped out of school at 16. A genius, perhaps. An extremely hard worker, certainly. Probably a fortunate combination of both.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

He must live near me in NYC because he comes to a nearby park.

TDC/
    So chi sono.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timmando View Post
    He used the word "reserved", not "stilted", different meaning.
    I was reading between the lines, Tim. Here's a definition. I agree it's not the same as reserved but it's what I heard.

Stilted (adjective)
    1. stiff and self-conscious or unnatural. synonyms: strained, forced, contrived, constrained, labored, stiff, self-conscious, awkward, unnatural, wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Timmando View Post
    At the BG festivals those empty chairs are for your use , if you don't mind being bumped out once in a while. I always take a front row seat if its empty, and rarely get evicted. Alot of those folks are sleeping off a binge, eating or picking music somewhere else and don't mind if you borrow the chair when empty.
    Thanks for that bit of insider info. I'll be sure to use it this weekend at the Labor Day BG Fest I'm going to.

Chris is not a genius(well, yes he is), he just enjoys all styles of music regardless of category. I mean, cheering a phrase during Mahler's Ninth Symphony is something I would love to do if not for the peer pressure of the high society around me. It reminds me of the audiences at the great Opera house at LaScala who are not afraid to boo a mediocre performance. Go with your heart, not with the masses.

18. The following members say thank you to Sterling for this post:

More and more I realize the classification of musical 'genres' is important to record company executives, radio programmers and accountants. The Rock radio stations which refused to play punk or rap have now become oldies stations- they failed to adapt to the ever diversifying world of music. The ipod generation wants to hear it all and be inspired, regardless of the label, genre, nationality or instrument. And if you can mash it together to create something new and interesting, so much the better.

When I go to BG festivals sometimes I feel like standing up and dancing a little but the lawn chair po-po poo poo's on that sort of thing sometimes.
    Really? Standing up in front of someone, blocking their view, and infringing on their enjoyment of the show is poo-pooed? That's a head scratcher. For the record, after twenty something years in a row of attending Old Settlers, I stopped going a couple of years ago. But when I went, I put my lawn chair about fifteen feet from the stage for the first show and sat there until the last show ended. My impression of the distracting twirly dancers was that they could do what they were doing anywhere, but they wanted their deep artistic expression of the music (why it's right there in the way they bend their wrist) to be seen.

Now I know you are not that sort of person, but there are two sides to the sit/stand issue.
    Bobby Bill

21. The following members say thank you to bobby bill for this post:

I mean, cheering a phrase during Mahler's Ninth Symphony is something I would love to do if not for the peer pressure of the high society around me.
    I agree. I attended a performance by a string quartet here in Austin back in the 70's. I can't remember the name. But I remember after the first movement of a four movement piece, half the audience cheered and the other half shushed them thereby demonstrating their superior knowledge that nobody peeps until the piece is over. I wanted to cheer the cheerers. Pretty silly really.
    Bobby Bill

23. The following members say thank you to bobby bill for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bobby bill View Post
    Really? Standing up in front of someone, blocking their view, and infringing on their enjoyment of the show is poo-pooed? That's a head scratcher. For the record, after twenty something years in a row of attending Old Settlers, I stopped going a couple of years ago. But when I went, I put my lawn chair about fifteen feet from the stage for the first show and sat there until the last show ended. My impression of the distracting twirly dancers was that they could do what they were doing anywhere, but they wanted their deep artistic expression of the music (why it's right there in the way they bend their wrist) to be seen.

Now I know you are not that sort of person, but there are two sides to the sit/stand issue.
    Those silly hippies and their dancing and hula hooping. lol. I was in the back. Reminded me of two things. First is the time my mother invited over the charismatic christian group for a singing and a 2 year old baby was quietly taken to another room when he started dancing. Apparently that was a no-no.

Second, is this video.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greg_tsam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    Chris is not a genius(well, yes he is), he just enjoys all styles of music regardless of category. I mean, cheering a phrase during Mahler's Ninth Symphony is something I would love to do if not for the peer pressure of the high society around me. It reminds me of the audiences at the great Opera house at LaScala who are not afraid to boo a mediocre performance. Go with your heart, not with the masses.
    "Peer pressure"? Interesting way to look at disturbing those around you. True, the resultant "Shhhhhhhhh!!!"s from all around were noisier than what Chris said he did, but I mean, why even do it? You can cheer, yell, applaud, stomp, throw roses (or other things), or even boo all you want when a symphony performance is over; so why interrupt the moment while it's going on? That's not being stuffy, it's called respect for the other people there! Same reason you shouldn't take photographs during the concert. Distractions are annoying as heck to performers, as well as fellow audience members.

I was once in an opera performance and a member of the wind section who had a solo in a poignant moment muffed a high note. Immediately, some ass in the peanut gallery yelled "Booooooo!" Turns out this fellow had just had a death of someone very close in his family the day before. That was plain low-class of the audience lout, IMO.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

27. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

Blog Entries

Greg you hit a nerve! I don't mind ANYONE dancing at ANY kind of concert -- but when they dance (and sing, shout and laugh) in front of my lawn chair I DO object -- I paid to hear and SEE the show. I don't like seeing someone's gyrating hind end -- instead of the pickers -- regardless of gender (most of the time anyway). Just saying.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Hi bratsche,

Yes it is peer pressure and respect for others around me in a concert. I find it interesting that of all the musical genres, it is classical performances that wait until the end to acknowledge a good phrase or solo. It is a tradition here in the US, not so much in Europe.

Its the venue. Outdoor concerts are a hootnanny of sorts with kids running around, ex hippie tie dye dancers flashing back to their youth, and the overly indulged. Silly to go to one of these general admission events, plop your lawn chair in the thick of things, and then shush everyone and expect them to sit down. This isnt the time to listen quietly for every nuance. Its for enjoying music along with a general audience.

Then there is the coffee house and concert hall venues. Yes its the place to come listen to the music played live. Here its impolite to sit up front and talk, hoot, and holler. This has assigned seating and folks came to listen.

I'm OK at either of these because I know what I'm in for. Its the mega auditorium thing I dont like. Here you pay big bucks for an assigned seat that many dont respect. Instead they leave their seat and go crunch up next to the stage and walk back and forth. People stand up and dance in front of you. Some show off that they know the words and scream along. Beer is spilled everywhere. It seems most come for the "event" and not the music. Because you're sitting so far away from the stage the performers are "televised" on big screens overhead. The music is so loud it hurts and the sound quality stinks.

I dont bother to go to those venues anymore. I cant pretend I enjoy them anymore. Same with big college football games. I'd rather just watch on TV.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JH Murray View Post
    The ipod generation wants to hear it all and be inspired, regardless of the label, genre, nationality or instrument..
    There is a percentage of the population like this, in every generation. To be cynical, the majority, in every generation, like exactly what they are told to like by the image makers of the culture. I don't see the ipod generation being any less susceptible to this.

The entire staff
    funny....

While the digression has been interesting, I think we're getting a wee bit off track on the purpose of the post: which was to state that after watching that interview I couldn't be struck more by how much of a genius this guy is, and how his whole approach and brain-wave pattern certainly appears to me to be waaaay above where the rest of us function...kind of like if you were having a cup of coffee with Miles Davis or Stevie Wonder...the things going thru their brain versus what's going thru my brain would be vastly different!

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    While the digression has been interesting, I think we're getting a wee bit off track on the purpose of the post: which was to state that after watching that interview I couldn't be struck more by how much of a genius this guy is, and how his whole approach and brain-wave pattern certainly appears to me to be waaaay above where the rest of us function...kind of like if you were having a cup of coffee with Miles Davis or Stevie Wonder...the things going thru their brain versus what's going thru my brain would be vastly different!
    I hear he glows in the dark too, and can cast a shadow, or not, at will.

Yea he is a bright fellow, and very thoughtful. I agree with him more than I disagree with him. He is up there where the differences between him and other great musicians is a matter of marketing and chosen genres.

I have had the great good fortune to work with a few giants, not in music, but professionally in my work, and while comparisons are ridiculous as "intelligence" and "genius" are so ill defined, I would agree he is of a comparable caliber.

As far as brain waves, well my EEG is over in the hallway charging up, so I have no idea.

See the thing is I am such a fan boy for Marty Stuart, there is just no room for more.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I hear he glows in the dark too, and can cast a shadow, or not, at will.

Yea he is a bright fellow, and very thoughtful. I agree with him more than I disagree with him. He is up there where the differences between him and other great musicians is a matter of marketing and chosen genres.

I have had the great good fortune to work with a few giants, not in music, but professionally in my work, and while comparisons are ridiculous as "intelligence" and "genius" are so ill defined, I would agree he is of a comparable caliber.

As far as brain waves, well my EEG is over in the hallway charging up, so I have no idea.

See the thing is I am such a fan boy for Marty Stuart, there is just no room for more.
    Hey Jeff,

I'm with you on Marty Stuart...think he's the BOMB!...incredible talent...and btw, I don't even listen to Thile, Nickel Creek, Punch Brothers, etc...I think I just know or at least seem to ascertain a "genius" quality when I see one.

I can get that EEG read by a Neurologist for ya...LOL!

LOL... I was wondering who that was growling behind me at the NY Philharmonic concert last week.