Thread: #6 Bean Blossom Moment Backstage Jam-Swinging Shepherd Blues-1967

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Default #6 Bean Blossom Moment Backstage Jam-Swinging Shepherd Blues-1967

There would be times when picking sessions would occur between the afternoon and evening shows. Different folks would gather around and some interesting picking would occur.

In this case we have Byron Berline, Vic Jordan, Neil Rosenberg, James Monroe, Bill, David Hedrick and myself.
    My father had pulled two mics into the area and was recording in stereo.

Folks would pick out a number and when the Master looked over at me and asked what I wanted to do I picked up my newly purchased 0-18T Martin and said "Swinging Shepherd Blues"

and got an answer like "I don't know that one boy but get it going"

So it starts out rough but the bass player gets the beat and starts driving it and Bill takes a couple of breaks....again examples of him "picking outside of the box".

A 16 year old young man just had to try out his new toy and in front of the Master...

00_87B Swinging Shepherd Blues_Bill Monroe Berline Robins Hedrick Brothers James Monroe Rosenb.mp3

Default Re: #6 Bean Blossom Moment Backstage Jam-Swinging Shepherd Blues-

Thanks for all this stuff. It's the next best thing to being there!

Gary -
    Playing that must bring back many, many good memories.
    Sometimes impromptu sessions create some of the most memorable music.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Lee

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hedrick View Post
    There would be times when picking sessions would occur between the afternoon and evening shows. Different folks would gather around and some interesting picking would occur.

In this case we have Byron Berline, Vic Jordan, Neil Rosenberg, James Monroe, Bill, David Hedrick and myself.
    My father had pulled two mics into the area and was recording in stereo.

Folks would pick out a number and when the Master looked over at me and asked what I wanted to do I picked up my newly purchased 0-18T Martin and said "Swinging Shepherd Blues"

and got an answer like "I don't know that one boy but get it going"

So it starts out rough but the bass player gets the beat and starts driving it and Bill takes a couple of breaks....again examples of him "picking outside of the box".

A 16 year old young man just had to try out his new toy and in front of the Master...

00_87B Swinging Shepherd Blues_Bill Monroe Berline Robins Hedrick Brothers James Monroe Rosenb.mp3
    More power to you, man. Great stuff.
    Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hedrick View Post
    Folks would pick out a number and when the Master looked over at me and asked what I wanted to do I picked up my newly purchased 0-18T Martin and said "Swinging Shepherd Blues" and got an answer like "I don't know that one boy but get it going"
    "Swinging Shepherd Blues" is by Canadian jazz flutist Moe Kaufman. I'm curious as to what made you call that one. This jam basically turned it into "Bluegrass Stomp" (not that that's a bad thing).

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    "Swinging Shepherd Blues" is by Canadian jazz flutist Moe Kaufman. I'm curious as to what made you call that one. This jam basically turned it into "Bluegrass Stomp" (not that that's a bad thing).
    Oh this is one of those stories......My father owned a Radio and Television Shop and a record player came in to be repaired with a record on it. I was tasked with checking it out and identifying the problems and guess what song was on it....

The tune was catchy and I had this new toy, the tenor guitar, so I started noodling around on it and came up with this version.

Why play that in a bluegrass jam......I wanted to inject the tenor guitar.....I sure wasn't going to call out one of Bill's numbers so why not be different? At 16 I was a bit headstrong and thought why not do something that was "mine".

In retrospect I was a bit brazen but it made for some interesting music. Yes it does kind of become a Bluegrass Stomp like tune....slower than Bill played Bluegrass Stomp but some of the same feel.

I think maybe Herbie Mann was the flute player who I heard do this but I'm not for sure on that one. I do remember listening so some of this music and thinking it was neat.

The real change I made in music listening was when Rowan and Greene became Seatrain.....