Thread: 1923 gibson snakehead!

Default 1923 gibson snakehead!

Just got this from an estate sale,all original 1923 black top A-1 snakehead in the original case with all original parts,even some old picks,strings and such. Had 2 small pieces of loose binding which I fixed. Basically dusted it off and changed the rotten strings. Just beautiful with no body cracks,sinkage or separations.Soon as I get some good quality pics i'll submit it to the archive..I see it's listed in spanns,the serial number and FON are perfectly readable. Too bad I can't afford to keep it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1923 snake 4.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	106374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1923 snake 3.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	106375   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1923 snake 2.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	106376  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1923 snake 1.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	106377  
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

Default Re: 1923 gibson snakehead!

Surely you can find a way to keep that one! How does it sound??

John, I probably could keep it if I could get some of these old paddleheads I have around here back to life!. I got it for far under what I bid on it so thats a good thing. I couldn't tell how nice it was from the lousy auction photos. As far as sound, it really appears to have been sitting in the case a long, long time as evidenced by the load of bell brand and antique gibson string packs and the funky twenties shaped pics and such that were in the case with it. It has tone to die for,just not a really a banjo killer mandolin as such.At least not yet. I guess once it wakes up and remembers it's a mandolin it may change. I actually have never played an honest to goodness snakehead short of the nice A-jr. I had a couple years back so I don't know what they're supposed to sound like. Intonation is spot on and the frets have little wear at all. Sure is a pretty thing!
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

Blog Entries

See boys there still out there waiting to be discovered! Ya never know what you'll come across. You should keep her, I'm sure for what you paid you would never be able to replace it for that price! Wise investment that you can enjoy and will go up in value Great find.

I strung this up a couple hours ago and wasn't impressed with the sound,kinda thin but had nice tone..I let it sit for a couple hours and just finished playing it and BAM..Good grief what a killer sounding mandolin. Maybe i'll have to find a way to keep this in the stable..Anybody want to write me a doctors note to show to my wife...
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

Another old gal brought back to life. Great find, any chance you will be at Rockbridge this weekend?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I think i'm going to the grottoes festival for the day saturday and maybe some evening jamming. Hoping to catch up with my old bandmate Michelle Nixon.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

I love black top mandos from this era, especially the snake heads. Congrats
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Blog Entries

So are ya going to keep that treasure!? I would in a fraction of a heartbeat, they don't come around often for what you probably paid for it. If you keep it could be ever so kind to let us know what kinda deal ya got it for, I'm sure everyone is very curious to find out considering you can get stuff fairly at a great price at auctions. I know that one should never tell but ya know what killed the cat.

I'm keeping it,it's too nice to let it go- at least until I need a house payment!..Took a shot and left an absentee bid of 1900.00 because I could see it was a black snake....All I had to go on was one blurry face on photo in the auction listing. Got it for 1400.00 and some change..I call it a deal.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5