Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know of a cheap alternative to Thomastik Infelds?

Default Anyone know of a cheap alternative to Thomastik Infelds?

I've been using the thomastik infeld mediums, and I REALLY can't find any other string that even comes close. I've tried the J74s, theJ62s, the FW74s, the elixer nanowebs, and they weren't remotely comparable; they just sound drastically metallic and harsh in comparison. It doesn't feel good to play them either. The problem is, I'm a poor college student and I can't afford to keep buying infelds.

Has anyone come across a set of strings that feels similar to the infelds but doesn't come with the high price?
    Gibson F-5G

Default Re: Anyone know of a cheap alternative to Thomastik Infelds?

I've heard good reports about the JazzMando JM-1 flatwounds.

Scott

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I've heard good reports about the JazzMando JM-1 flatwounds.
    Yes, I've been using those too... but, unfortunately, they're not available any more.

Perhaps something like the Fisoma (Lenzner) Supersolo? They are available in three gauges.

That's bad news about the JazzMando JM11s, which were very good strings.

However, I believe the JazzMandos were made by Labella, whose flatwounds are still available at some dealers such as JustStrings

By cleaning my strings after every use and applying regular doses of Fast Fret, I made my JM11s last forever.

ron

-- when you say they aren't avaliable anymore-- is Ted stopping production forever, or, is he just taking a break?
    I really love the sound and feel of the JM11's, when I read that on the website, I was actually quite sad I hadn't bought more.

♪☮♫ Roll away the dew ♪☮♫ Dan Krhla's Avatar

I loved the Labellas when I was doing flat wound stuff. Elderly used to have them too.
    do good things

I'm pretty sure that the LaBella MF-10 is the same set that was made for JazzMando for the JM11's. The other flatwound set that LaBella makes is the LaBella MF-20. The difference between them is that the MF20 set is heavier and has a wound A string that the MF10 doesn't have. The MF20 set is the closest that I have come to the tone of Thomastik of all of the flatwound string sets I have tried. Someone earlier mentioned the Fisoma strings. While they are certainly good strings, they aren't very cheap. I have only found the Fisoma flatwound strings in Germany and to buy a set would cost more than the Thomastik strings when you include shipping from Europe.

I'm a little confused by the JazzMando website. The area where you would buy the JM11's is grayed out but it says "JazzMando JM-11 Loop-end Strings no longer unavailable".

If they're no longer "unavailable" wouldn't that mean they're available?
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Unfortunately for me, there is no acceptable substitute for Thomastiks. I've become hooked. One reason is that the wound A string is non-negotiable - a plain steel A doesn't cut it, and sounds twangy to my ears on my instruments. But mainly, they are just fine strings! I am poor, but have to bite the bullet if I want the best sound. I have them on five instruments, but the plus side is that I don't play as much time on each one, so I only change them when they're 3 or 4 years old. I've never had any breakages or unwinding of the flat windings occur even during that long of a time, and I have TIs installed for 4 years that still intonate just fine up the fretboard. About the only difference when I put on a brand new set is they sound a little brighter at first.

YMMV, as I am very gentle on strings in general, and seem to have "non-corrosive" sweat.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

I have put the D'addario Chromes on an emando for a professional musician. He wanted flat wounds but didn't want the Thomastiks. I just made a custom set by matching strings gauges. I suppose you could get singles from juststrings and make a set. I don't know how much cheaper this would be though.

Well, that sucks aboutthe JM11's, hopefully the FW74's work just as well because that's the only other flat-wound I can think of atm

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

TIs cost more, but they last a long time. So they can be considered economical from that point of view.

Could be worse. You should see what my bass player pays for his TI strings!
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I'm a little confused by the JazzMando website. The area where you would buy the JM11's is grayed out but it says "JazzMando JM-11 Loop-end Strings no longer unavailable".

If they're no longer "unavailable" wouldn't that mean they're available?
    Yes, but I don't like your chances of holding Ted to that claim.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Blog Entries

I was a long time proponent of the JM-11 Jazzmando strings. I know there were (too frequent for the hassle) production delays and problems with breakage. Ted partnered with D'Addario on the FW74s (no financial interest) and I like those string just as much as the JM11s even if they are a tad different.

That wound A on the TIs really makes a difference to some people. Me, not so much. As you try alternatives to the TIs (aybe also look into the Silk and Steel strings) vary your pick material and see if that affects your experience.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    That wound A on the TIs really makes a difference to some people. Me, not so much.
    For me, it's a holdover from my bowed strings thinking. A violin should only have one plain steel string, and a viola should have none. Therefore, anything "different" on their mando-kin counterparts just feels wrong under the fingers, and sounds a bit "off" as well.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

15. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    That wound A on the TIs really makes a difference to some people. Me, not so much.

Jamie
    I thought that when I switched from Thomastik to the FW74s I was going to have an issue with the non-wound A because I had become so accustomed to it. However, I really don't miss it at all. The FW74s have a really balanced sound and I haven't looked back. For those who still want the JM11s, you can get the exact same set here. They're the same ones that were sold by JazzMando. For those who want the wound A a little cheaper, you can get these.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    For those who still want the JM11s, you can get the exact same set here. They're the same ones that were sold by JazzMando. For those who want the wound A a little cheaper, you can get these.
    Actually the JM-11's had a .033" G course. I do really want to give the MF20 set a try, as I think the wound A course is a large part of what makes the tone of the Thomastiks so different and mellow.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Marty's right, the G is lighter on the La Bella MF10 set... a little too light for me. Fortunately I still have two unused JM-11 sets but will have to look around thereafter for suitable substitutes with a similar overall tension and characteristics for my Nava mandolin. I like the FW-74 set and use them on my RM-1 but they go a little too heavy for the Nava. It's a shame La Bella don't offer the same gauge set as the JM-11 as it seemed to be very popular... I personally prefer the unwound A on mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moore View Post
    Marty's right, the G is lighter on the La Bella MF10 set...
    Sorry, my mistake. I did not mean to mis-inform.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

FYI, everyone, according to Jim at JustStrings, LaBella has discontinued MF-20's. Also looks like MF-10's are gone. :-(

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Unfortunately for me, there is no acceptable substitute for Thomastiks. I've become hooked. One reason is that the wound A string is non-negotiable - a plain steel A doesn't cut it, and sounds twangy to my ears on my instruments. But mainly, they are just fine strings! I am poor, but have to bite the bullet if I want the best sound. I have them on five instruments, but the plus side is that I don't play as much time on each one, so I only change them when they're 3 or 4 years old.
    They do seem to last a lot longer than conventional strings, like the J74s. The one mandolin I have Thomastics on has sounds superlative for over almost two years and I would have gone through four or five sets of J74s by now. So the price is really comparable from a performance point of view. At least to my ears.
    Last edited by JeffD; Oct-10-2013 at 1:11pm.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Several years ago Marilyn Mair told me she uses these strings: Savarez Argentine 1540 or 1540X with the A course replaced by Thomastik 151 medium flat-wound steel core strings (15W). The Argentine strings are not flatwound. Their gauges are 10 -13 – 24W – 34W. I now use these on my Rigel Q95 (13 inch scale) and Vega cylinder back (13 7/8 inch scale). I also just put them on my Giannini M3 bandolim, on which I replaced the inferior factory bridge and nut with bone. The strings last a very long time and sound good on all these mandolins. The wound Thomastik A improves the evenness of the tonal color across the strings.
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dogal - very common in Italy but rare in the US. They do make a flatwound version, though I haven't tried it. I've gotten them from Bernunzio in Rochester, and also Classic Bows violin store in San Diego. LOVE the Dogal Calace strings, light tension (dolce).
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

Bernunzio prob would special order for you. I believe they only order once a month or so. I spoke to Classic Bows and they are not ordering any more Dogal mandolin strings -- they are selling off the current stock, so Bernunzio might be the only supplier in the US.

I, too, only use the roundwound (RW92-medio, RW92b-dolce and a heavier weight version) -- they do sound great on bowlbacks. I am not too sure what the flatwounds are like and if they would be much less expensive than the Thomastiks.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Just placed an order for stock of Dogal flatwound contralto mandola strings (CGDA),havent had them yet and interested to see what they will be like.Very pleased with their violin strings for years,and more recently their classical guitar strings.
    Mandola strings: http://dogalstrings.it/Strings_Class...rings_Classico

Kieran

http://www.moloneymusic.com

PS Slightly less expensive than Thomastiks but not by much.Remember,flatwounds from these companies have the same amount of resources/effort in the making as violin strings,except there's 8 of them and violin strings in general are much more expensive.

Kieran, I was hoping this might be an actual competitor for the Thomastik 164s, but unfortunately, it looks like the Dogal flatwound contralto mandola strings have plain steel A strings.

bratsche