Thread: Composition

Default Composition

Just listening to Some Matt Flinner trio "music du jour" I love the compositions, not just the melodies ,all the parts integral harmonically and rhythmically.

How many of you write your own compositions in this way? If so I'd love to hear them and start some sort of "originals" discussion, sharing compositional ideas.

Just me then..

Default Re: Composition

I haven't really composed anything solid, but, there have been some times when I was playing with a friend, they had a part they had made up on guitar and I just quickly threw something together that I felt sounded good with the chords they were strumming.
    Then other times I will be pacing my room and I'll get an idea that sounds good, I'll mess about with it, but, usually it's something short, like, plucking the G string twice, then the F on the D string-- I do that 4 times, then I go down to the G on the D string, still plucking the G string twice before. I really like how that sounds, almost makes me think of something... tribal.

Well that's a start, a lot of great musicians compose.

I have seriously considered doing it. I mainly right now have just found little beats I make up off the top of my head that sound nice to my ear. At the moment, I am messing around with minor scales, I love how they sound so sad, but melodic and beautiful at the same time. it's wonderful

I compose quite a bit, more on the octave but I also have written music for mandolin, mandola and mandocello as well as various mando family combinations. Had a somewhat prolific stride a a few years back, now and then I manage to peice something together.
    Most of my stuff is neo-polyphonic
    I do post on sound cloud as well as here and on my own website.
    Sound cloud is good as it is free and most people can access and hear the mp3 without any special applications or plug ins.
    difficult to get noticed as there is a lot of spoken word material on sound cloud.