Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V pick review.....

Default V pick review.....

Here is my post from the Vpick give away thread, but I fear it got lost there...so forgive me if this is a double post.

OK....time for a report.

I got 3 V picks in the mail today, and after playing hooky with work for too long...I have had an opportunity to enjoy all 3 and compare to my usual pick like substance. Will give an account and a 1-10 rating, 1 being "fling into crowd worthy" bad and 10 being "I just cant bring myself to play this, as I am not worthy!!!!!" good.

1-thick white triangle. Feels funny being as thick as it is, very easy to hang onto, great warm sound, louder then most of the other "mando" must have picks. It would be great for when I play at church, and its just me. 8.5 points. My ONLY "objection" if I can use that strong a word, is it still feels funny in my hand. I am sure I will get used to it though.

2- Large triangle clear- VERY nice definition! I seem to be able to really control the action, pick out what I want, (like the weirdness I do sometimes by just wanting 1 string instead of 2. An old 12-string guitar habit for definition of sound.) I really enjoy the feel, and the engraving helps the grip. I LOVE the fact that it has 3 sides, so it should be able to last longer. Strumming it has plenty of bark, and again, it just feels more in control. 9.5. It achieved the coveted spot of being put between my strings when I put the Bulldog mandolin back in the case. I can not give it a full 10 yet, as I dont know how it will shave down as I play. (yes, I am one of those "weird" players that play at different angles to get different sounds) so only time will tell. Promise a revisit.

3- med clear somewhat rounded. This one is a bit more "muted" in sound, most likely as a result of its shape. While I enjoyed the feel of it, (closer to my fender med in shape and feel) it was less defined in sound, more thuddy and almost muddy. I would give it a 7. While it is not my FIRST choice, it does have some pretty warm and gentle sounds that I could see a use for when I dont want to reach out and pull on the nose of my listeners.

Over all, I am sold. I have played MUCH more expensive picks, only to toss them back in the pick case. I have played Fender mediums for decades, and I replaced all 3 hiding places with these 3 new picks. If I had to only pick 1 of them, I would and will buy the 3 sided larger clear triangle picks.

Thank you SO much for the opportunity to play these. I would HIGHLY recommend them, and will. No flinging them into the crowd for these pics!

Ray
    Bulldog #24

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ray Neuman For This Useful Post:

Default Re: V pick review.....

I got my 3 picks also. My favorite is the large Lite Pointed 1.5mm. It "feels" thinner to me than 1.5mm, but I really, really like it, a LOT. I did reshape the point a bit to be, well, less pointy, but to be fair, I rehape just about every pick I get, and it was quick and easy to do. I really love the tone, the attack, and the volume. It really stays in my fingers in a good way; this pick would be hard to drop. I can't report on longevity as yet, but so far, this a real winner, V-Pick!!!
    Last edited by Cheryl Watson; Sep-18-2013 at 3:31pm.

4. The following members say thank you to Cheryl Watson for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Watson View Post
    I got my 3 picks also. My favorite is the large Lite Pointed 1.5mm. It seems thinner to me than 1.5mm, but I really, really like it, a LOT. I did reshape the point a bit to be, well, less pointy, but to be fair, I rehape just about every pick I get, and it was quick and easy to do. I really love the tone, the attack, and the volume. It really stays in my fingers in a good way; this pick would be hard to drop. I can't report on longevity as yet, but so far, this a real winner, V-Pick!!!
    I'm another V-pick User/lover/ and abuser! I use the rounded tremolo and its the best pick I've used, "Same pick for well over a year, and I play a lot, everyday anyway" They are great picks, I love the fact that its not thick, for me a thick pick just doesn't cut it. To me it ruins my tone. I've yet to buy a Bluechip but pry won't till they make something like my V-pick. I use to make my own tortoise shell picks but the medium feel that I like chips, well V-picks don't and they sound just as good as the turtle.
    Well to me anyway. Pickin with some Love!
    Cheryl try the tremolo pick, I do believe its just a bit thicker than your Lite, well they are mediums. Only 10 bucks. I'm sold on em.

I too have been trying my three v-picks since getting them delivered here in Scotland a couple of days ago. Like Cheryl, I have developed a preference for the Lite large pick, with the lite medium (more rounded ends) as my second favourite. So far I have found the big thick white pick a bit too thick. I have played on mandolin, octave and bouzouki as well as guitar and tenor guitar.
    The two Lites are really good on all the mandolin family and I especially enjoy the firmer hold the picks seem to give - they do not seem to turn around in my grip as much as my other licks do, so give more confidence in playing.
    Many thanks again to Vinni and Scott for making them available to us on the Cafe, and now I am just sitting back awaiting my Collings mandolin when they read all the entries and are so impressed by mine!

I recently purchased two V Picks to try them out. They were the "Saga" and the "Bull's Eye". They sent for free the "Medium" that was their original pick. They are all different and all work fine for me. Turns out I like the freebie "Medium" the best. Attaboy V Picks!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Billings View Post
    I recently purchased two V Picks to try them out. They were the "Saga" and the "Bull's Eye". They sent for free the "Medium" that was their original pick. They are all different and all work fine for me. Turns out I like the freebie "Medium" the best. Attaboy V Picks!
    I ordered the "Saga" and the "Tremolo" and Vinnie threw in a "Medium". I like them all but really like the "Saga". It reminds me of my Blue Chip but at a fraction of the cost. I also ordered a very nice V-Pick leather pouch. Vinnie does a good job with his product line. He deserves our support.

May have to try these out. I just ordered two 1.5 triangulars from Wegen a month or so back, and for the first time, I was very disappointed with what I received from Wegen. One of them is alright, but the other one had a somewhat rough finish on the bevel and as a result, it catches the strings a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Orr View Post
    May have to try these out. I just ordered two 1.5 triangulars from Wegen a month or so back, and for the first time, I was very disappointed with what I received from Wegen. One of them is alright, but the other one had a somewhat rough finish on the bevel and as a result, it catches the strings a lot.
    Interesting -- my most recent Wegens (1.4mm large black tri w/ clam holes) were a little more chirpy than I recall in the past (well-worn or no). I'm just lazy enough to know there are other options in my pocket that I don't need to reshape.
    /* no comment */

Blog Entries

First of all, thanks to V-picks for hosting this giveaway. I've had a couple of weeks to experiment with my picks so I'm finally getting around to posting a review. Let me begin by saying that I never gave much thought to picks and have been loyal to Golden Gate picks for quite some time. Shortly before this giveaway contest began, my instructor had me try some of his picks (including a Blue Chip and a Kevlar pick...manufacturer unknown). I was really surprised at the impact of picks on the sound of my Weber A Custom Vintage mandolin and was excited when I was selected as one of the winners. I have never won anything...not EVER...so I was tempted to run out and buy lottery tickets in case I was embarking on a "streak".

Upon inspection of the picks my initial impression was that I would like the Lite Medium pick the most and the Light Large the least (because of the point). Upon playing with these picks, however, my preference is the opposite. I found the Lite Medium to be too small and as I played it kept pushing up into my grip until my fingers touched the stings. It worked much better for me on slow, melodic tunes...but for intense playing this pick didn't work for me. The sound produced by the pick is very clear, so someone with a tighter grip might really like this pick.

I didn't expect to like the Lite Large pick at all because it has a fairly sharp point and I have no experience with pointed picks. I have to say, however, that I really liked this pick. It produces a very clear, bright sound and works exceptionally well when a precise, clearly differentiated sound is desired.

With regard to the Large White pick I have to say that, unlike some of the other commenters, I liked this pick. It does feel a bit chunky when first gripping it, but I adapted to the feel very quickly...unlike the Lite Medium to which I could not seem to adapt despite several tries. It produces a very warm sound and the notes decay pretty quickly, resulting in a "choppier" sound.

So there you have it. My eyes have been opened to the impact of picks on sound. More pick experimentation is definitely in my future. Thanks again to V-picks and the Mandolin Cafe!

12. The following members say thank you to lorrainehornig for this post:

I use the Lite Tradition V Picks.....I totally love them...... I get mine at Shiloh Music in beautiful downtown Mt. Juliet, Tennessee!

I ordered more V-picks. LOVE the Gladiator for mandolin! Cleanest and loudest tone ever! I wish it came in a color other than clear since it disappears easily, but maybe Vinnie will offer that model in a color one day soon. The Lite Tradition Sapphire is my favorite for guitar. These V-picks are so easy to hang onto. I need to try a Saga (love that sapphire color!) next time around but the points look a bit more rounded than the Gladiator.

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

After NOT winning in the V-Pick giveaway (just an oversight on somebody's part, I'm sure), then reading some of these reviews, I broke down and ordered some of their picks to try out. I got the Saga, and the Round Lite. As with everybody else, Vinni also sent their Medium original pick to sample. I've been very impressed.Good tone and easy to grip. Nice bevel.They have hit on a nice balance between round and point, to stay smooth, but give good tone. All-in-all, a quality pick. My biggest surprise was that the medium is my favorite.At 2.75mm, it's a board! I seem to be able to get a better grip without holding as tight, and it just seems to really drive the sound on my mando. I go back and forth now, between this one and my BC. Nice work, Vinni!
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

16. The following members say thank you to Michael Bridges for this post:

While I was reading this thread, and I'm not making this up, my wife walked in and dropped a small mailer envelope on my desk. It was the sampler pack of V picks I had ordered a few days ago. Amazing timing.
    So... while I've only noodled around with them for a few minutes each, here are my first impressions.

What I ordered was the "Mandolin Lite Sampler Kit" which consists of 4 picks. Two Large (one rounded and one pointed) and two Mediums (also one rounded and one pointed). It cost me $14.95 at the V pick website.

4 words: I LOVE these picks.

I have extremely dry skin on my hands and these are the first picks that I've tried that don't slide around or spin in my fingers. They aren't sticky but they seem to hold on to my fingers somehow and they do not move. That alone is enough to sell me on them. Luckily they also feel nice to hold and, even better, have a very clean action on the strings (for lack of a better way to describe it) so they are quite nice to play with. I can't say for certain until I've used them for a while but they just might shove my blue chip into the back seat.

For what its worth, of the ones I have, I like the lite large rounded best. Size-wise it feels very similar to the guitar picks that I'm used to (though a bit broader) so my hand was instantly comfortable with it, especially since I don't have to squeeze as hard to keep it where I want it. The lite medium rounded is (obviously) slightly smaller but otherwise the same.

The lite large pointed and lite medium pointed have the same size relation as the rounded ones do and feel the same until you pluck the strings. They certainly seem to be made for more intricate play. I had fun working on a bit of Bach's Minuet in G with these. Very clear, very precise picking (or at least as precise as I am capable of). Again, I like the large one best.

I will absolutely be keeping these and ordering more. The rounded picks for 90% of what I play and a pointy one for any intricate sharpshooting I may attempt.

I think they do improve the sound but being pretty new to mandolin I don't feel comfortable stating that as fact. Lets just say that *I* think my strings like them as much as I do.

Your Mileage May Vary
    My GFs: Collings MF, Mandobird VIII, Mando-Strat, soprano & baritone ukuleles tuned to GDAE and a Martin X1-DE Guitar.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I was a winner! Really liked the clear one! Need to revisit the other two.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

After reading some of these reviews and browsing their website, I'm stuck between the freakishly large rounded and the large rounded pick. Compared to the jazz mando pro picks, how large are these ones? They are also an MM or 2 bigger than what I usually use, so, I'll wait to get some feedback before I buy.

I've read all the above posts with interest and have bitten the bullet and ordered 3 picks. As I play guitar as well as mando, and prefer a traditional teardrop shaped pick rather than big triangles, I've gone for a Tradition Lite Sapphire Blue, a Euro II and a Saga.

Will report my findings when they turn up here in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlindBard View Post
    After reading some of these reviews and browsing their website, I'm stuck between the freakishly large rounded and the large rounded pick. Compared to the jazz mando pro picks, how large are these ones? They are also an MM or 2 bigger than what I usually use, so, I'll wait to get some feedback before I buy.
    The Freakishly Large rounded is about the same size as the Jazz Mando Pro Plec. I used both and they are about equal (at least in size).
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Ah, cool. I went ahead and bought the freakishly large and the large round ones, they'll be here Friday hopefully. Looking forward to picking them up.
    My Dad asked: "Why do you need more picks? You have a ton!" I was trying to think of a way to explain this. The majority of the picks I have are fender standard tear-drops, with various Beatles pictures on them. Then the few mando picks I have in a bag in my case. I was going to compare it to bullets for a gun: there are standard, then there are hallow-points and things that are entirely different and do different things. My Dad shoots alot.

I got my V-picks today.
    I ordered the freakishly large round and the large round. They sent me one that is a standard tear-drop shape with a really sharp edge, evidently called a "switchblade" pick on the little sheet they gave in the package.
    The two round-edge picks, I think they kind of sound the same. The pick matterial is nice, I don't have to grip firmly.
    The switchblade pick is interesting, because it's rather long and pointy, sounds kind of bright and sharp, when compared to the other two. I look forward to experimenting more with them.

Vinni sends out a free sample of another type of pick with just about every order, which is wonderful of him to do so. However, I find it interesting that he often sends a sample of a pick that is so completely different than what you ordered. If you ordered picks with a rounded edge that would tell me you a re seeking a warmer tone. Why would he send a sample of a pick with a sharp enough point to stab someone, that's obviously intended for a shredder guitarist. Guess it doesn't really matter because they're free, but it kind of makes me wonder.

I'm waiting on a order of a "Saga" pick. I've heard some really good things about this pick so I gave in and placed a order. So far I haven't had much success with V-Picks, but something tells me I'll find one I like.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

So, played more with the rounded picks. I like them both, it feels alot more natural and I don't have to grip tight when holding them. The tone is great.
    The sharp pointy pick, it seems to pull out more volume. I could see it having it's uses, but, I prefer the two rounded picks I got.
    I'm not entirely sure which one is which, but, they both sound good and I like them so far.
    Has anybody tried the storyteller? the idea behind that pick has me intrigued on it's sound.

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have just ordered the storyteller among others. The only V pick I have so far is one of the thick, rounded, JazzMando-branded ones, which I don't use very much. For melody playing, I prefer a more pointed pick, and for strumming a lighter pick suits me better. I know that many among you like your picks heavy and round, so it's just a matter of the instrument, playing style, and personal preference.

Vinni is drumming up good business here in the last month or so! I ordered a few picks myself, and while I only just got them, I'm very impressed. I ordered the Saga, because like many here it's pretty much the exact size and shape I've grown fond of. My regular pick for many years now has been a BC 55 with a very slightly blunted point, and the Saga is virtually identical in size right down to the roundness of the point (that BC normally comes a bit pointer, but the V matches the one I rounded off myself). The main difference is the bevel. The BC has a right hand "speed" bevel, while the V comes with an even bevel all the way around. I think I'll try to reshape one of the sides to match my BC, because there is a little bit of pick noise and I think that's the reason.

In addition to the regular saga, I asked Vinni if he could make a thicker one for me, which he very nicely agreed to. So in addition to the regular (at 1.5mm), he made me a thick saga at a whopping 2.75! I'm very intrigued. Very similar in tone and attack, but a lot more authority and sustain. Pretty much exactly what I wanted. Again, there's a good deal of pick noise that I think can be reduced if I reshape the bevel to my liking.

I'll report further as I play with them, but I'm happy so far!

I don't think I could ever do another synthetic pick after discovering wooden picks. There's a balance and sound that comes from wooden picks that you just don't get with the sythetic ones.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marcodamusician View Post
    I don't think I could ever do another synthetic pick after discovering wooden picks. There's a balance and sound that comes from wooden picks that you just don't get with the sythetic ones.
    Which ones are you using? I have seen 'em but I can't remember trying them.

I know Dugain makes some wooden picks, and stone and metal and horn.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....