Thread: Mike Campbell's Little Ricky

Default Mike Campbell's Little Ricky

Premier Guitar has an article on Heartbreakers guitarists rig which includes a Rickenbacker styled 8-string electric mandolin with a whammy bar. Anybody know anything about this? It's the green on on the far left.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CampbellGuitarBoat_FEATURED.jpg 
Views:	1006 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	106619
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Default Re: Mike Campbell's Little Ricky

It's by Tony Revell of the UK.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thanks. Is it stock or custom?

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Thanks. Is it stock or custom?
    I believe it's a one-off--in green, anyway, with maybe a handful of similar ones made around the same time in the early '90s.

I'd love to get my hands on one of those, but as far as I've been able to tell, Tony made a few of these but never pushed it into any kind of regular production. Some old contact info and a few more pictures here:

http://www.emando.com/builders_active/Revell.htm

Name:	Revelbaby_rick.gif 
Views:	2403 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	106636

Name:	Revell_fireglo2.JPG 
Views:	1266 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	106637
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

I always liked the loom of the guitars much more than the one electric mandolin that Rickenbacker produced. Those are cool.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

IIRC Tony made 3. One ended up at the Twelfth Fret in Toronto, where Mike bought it. One reportedly was owned or is owned by Nigel Kennedy. The photo of the orange one is from an eBay ad a few years back -- I can't recall whether that one was supposed to have been Kennedy's or not. Tony, I believe, was threatened with a lawsuit if he made any more of these.

There are a few Little Rickys made recently by AntonioTsai for Dillion Guitars, but the quality of those isn't all that great.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Love the idea of the whammy bar. Any idea how stable it is?

- ---==< V >==--- -

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Someone mentioned this on facebook and googling brought me - here, of course. It also brought me to this video excursion through Mike Campbell's instruments with his tech as tour guide, backstage at a show during sound check. We get to see it up close from various angles. Little Ricky's segment starts at 3:30.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Here are a couple of clips of it in action. The first one gives a good idea of what Mike has in mind for his part on the song. It's mostly a showcase for Benmont Tench's piano playing, and the mandolin doesn't show up much after Mike's solo around the 2:00 mark. The second one gives a good close-up view of it, and the way Mike uses it. It's got some effects on it and keeps producing sound after he blunts the strings. Looks like he has to swap out a bad cord after the song starts, which may have thrown him off.

Full-screen is available by following the links to youtube. Writer's note: he song is living proof that one can indeed rhyme "Melinda" with "window" if one is from the South and pronounces it "winda."

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I found this thread after listening to Mike Campbell play mandolin (nothing fancy, no solo) on the acoustic version of "Even The Losers" that's included in the recent American Treasure Tom Petty box set.

I had either forgotten or never known that Campbell played some mando. It's no surprise that the Mandolin Cafe community already knew this cool fact and had discussed it on this and 2-3 other forum threads.

Here's one of my favorite clips of Mike playing that mandolin with the Heartbreakers.

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Just for good measure, here's a nice clip of Tom and the Heartbreakers doing an acoustic version of "Insider" with Stevie Nicks. Mike is playing fills and tremolo on some sort of F-4 (a copy, maybe ... see 2:55). Nice setting of the song.

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    . . . here's a nice clip of Tom and the Heartbreakers doing an acoustic version of "Insider" . . . Mike is playing fills and tremolo on some sort of F-4 (a copy, maybe ... see 2:55).
    I can't quite make out the name on the headstock, but if I were a betting man, I would lay down a half-weeks salary to say it was a Flatiron . . .

. . . and just for the record, ANY instrument that looks like a Rickenbacker turns my head!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I can't quite make out the name on the headstock, but if I were a betting man, I would lay down a half-weeks salary to say it was a Flatiron . . .
    The logo seems right for a Flatiron, but I wasn't aware that they ever made any F-4 style instruments.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

It looks like it has a letter with a tail toward the end which would eliminate Flatiron.

Name:	MikeCampbellF4.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	459.1 KB 
ID:	172069 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peghead.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	172070
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1