Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pick preference, tips and tricks

Mandolinist out of Atl
    Blog Entries

Default Pick preference, tips and tricks

I have switched my "favorite," picks more times than I would like to admit. Right now I am playing Triangular Wegen TF 120's. I like them for comfort and reduced pick noise, but do not get a ton of volume. I have dabbled in real tortoise shell, Fender Heavies and many more.

What is so nice about other picks, especially, the Blue Chips? One brand I have yet to try. What is your pick of choice and what different tone attributes, and playability differences do you forum members find between different pick shapes, materials, and brands.

Thanks for Sharing!

Default Re: Pick preference, tips and tricks

I have played a lot of picks, maybe too many chasing that "Tone" I always go back to some very old shell picks I have I find them very fast and with some tailoring very close to the Tone I want.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-29 08.28.24.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	106656/ RedBear/Bluechip etc, they are all good just depends on what you are looking for and no advice/talk takes the place of Picking.
    Best/joe

3. The following members say thank you to Leon Peoples for this post:

Here is a pic of an old pick I use it for playing/no practice it's old and worn and Im trying to get it to last.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-31 08.34.01.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	106658
    Best/joe

I'm sure I'll be the first of many, but I heartily recommend that you try the blue chip. Well worth the money IMHO. They feel great, they sound great, and they're really durable. I've owned two for several years and not only are they both still in heavy use, they're basically as good as new!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ken_P For This Useful Post:

gosh! I got five new picks today, these credit card folks keep me supplied. one card cut so so, will make five picks, good enough for me. have fun..fred
    'Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life?
    Think I'll just loaf today then. Fred.

I've been using the teardrop shaped Dunlop Tortex picks for years, and finally got a Blue Chip TD-50. I'd say the Blue Chip is better, slightly, due to the bevel and due to being a little bit harder and more wear resistant. 72 Tortex picks cost $20, and 1 TD-50 costs $35. The Dunlops are nearly as good as the Blue Chip, but don't last as long. (A year or so versus... forever for the Blue Chip.)
    The Blue Chip is slightly preferable. Feels a little bit more "accurate".
    I have a tortoise shell pick from Tony Bolin which is also very similar to the Blue Chip, but I think I like the Blue Chip a little better. No huge difference between the three.

IMHO: Best tone: Red Bear; Most Durability: Blue Chip; Best Feel: Tie between Red Bear and Blue Chip. I use both. The shape/size/point shape/bevel shape all matter nearly as much as the material to me.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheryl Watson For This Useful Post:

Mandolinist out of Atl
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the prompt replies everyone! I am going to have to give a Blue Chip a try. I am partial to the the triangular shape...
    it's between a TAD-50 3R, or a CT55 for me?

Anyone have any input on differences or preferences between these two similar picks. I am only buying one for now since they are not the cheapest picks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JRcohan View Post
    Thanks for the prompt replies everyone! I am going to have to give a Blue Chip a try. I am partial to the the triangular shape...
    it's between a TAD-50 3R, or a CT55 for me?

Anyone have any input on differences or preferences between these two similar picks. I am only buying one for now since they are not the cheapest picks.

Thanks
    I chose the TAD-50 1R, as I wanted to have the option of one rounded edge. I usually stick to the pointy edges, but I absolutely love this pick...the Blue Chip is worth every penny, IMO.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave LaBoone For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I love my Red Bear Heavy C style SB. It gives me the greatest tone. My favorite when playing alone or in an intimate venue. Then I love my Blue Chip TAD 60, also great tone, and perhaps my fastest pick. Great when lots of little notes. Then Wegen TF140. Not quite as good a tone, IMO, but perhaps a little punchier, a little louder. I use this in a jam or big venue where nobody can hear how great my tone is anyway, but I have to get through the noise.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

50-1R for guitar, and CT-55 for mandolin I love them both.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I've gravitated towards triangular Clayton Spike 0.72, a sharp pick which gives
    - good volume
    - lots of brilliant overtones (don't get me started with "woody")
    - a husky touch that adds character - you might call it pick noise, but how do you know you pick if nobody hears it?

They wear down fast, but they have 3 points each and are cheap.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Pick shape, pick edge, pick material, angle of attack, placement of attack, quality of instrument, etc.... lot of variables go into this tonal equation... In my experience, well-kept tortoise is the best and Bluechips are the best synthetic, hands down. I've bounced between tortoise and a TAD-60 for years, absolutely love the shell, but the TAD wins for consistency...
    2016 Ellis F5
    2007 Gibson Sam Bush
    1924 Gibson A Jr.
    1913 R. Calace Brevettato 900
    Espresso
    Youtube

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordan Ramsey For This Useful Post:

AlanNJRcohan 

Since I've been making picks since I started picking, it should be no surprise that even the commercial picks I acquire will get doctored, sometimes extensively, before I use them. Yes, the edge is everything. My favorite materials for making them have included ivory, ultem (specifically the raw material Jim Garber kindly sent me, because it's thicker than the available commercial picks, and because I wanted to make Roman shaped picks), and celluloid.

I like my picks at least 1.5mm thick, so that there's plenty of material to create a smooth, mirror-polished bevel. Favorite commercial picks have included the Pro-Plec JazzMando (although I wish it were slightly bigger), and various Clayton large triangles. The latter were a pleasant surprise, as they are very rough-edged out of the bag, and scratchy-sounding, unless you work on them - then they're a delight! I have a BlueChip TAD 60 that I bought plain, and beveled and polished it myself the way I like it, but frankly, it's not much of a contender in my collection. The main reason is that it just doesn't work well on my flatbacks, particularly the mandolas, because the high-pitched pick click it produces just drives me nuts. I only keep it because it sounds good on my Baby Taylor converted OM for some reason; even so, I like the sound of the ProPlec on the OM better (but again, I wish the ProPlec were the size of the BlueChip)!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

21. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

And Stevie Wonder sang...Reach for Higher Ground out there in CO, Jordan!

23. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

I use the Dunlop Little Stubby 3.0mm - I started using these years ago when I playing my guitar and now use them for my mandolin. My fingers are small and I found the usual sized heavy picks would go flying out of my hands. For some reason I can really hold onto those little stubbys. They wear forever and I pay about 50 cents each for them. They work for me and now my newphew uses them for his guitar playing in his band!
    If You don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Kentucky KM1500

Try the Fish pick ("Fisher") that Greg Boyd sells. Heavier than my CT55 but it's an interesting alternative. I'd be interested to hear others' opinions.

I like to use black Dunlop ultex jazz iii's. I have some wegen 140s and I've tried a bunch of other picks but those dunlops have seem to be the best for feel tone and volume. Maybe that's just because I like small picks though

Blog Entries

What a difference a pick makes, and why.

http://jazzmando.com/tips/archives/000718.shtml

The entire staff
    funny....

28. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

This is a pick related question. I am planning to order an Amber pick and was wondering if it can be made as per the Clayton small tear drop and at 0.8 mm thick.
    Has anyone tried that. Is it worth it. Amber is supposed to have same density as tortoise shell.
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Blog Entries

Fred, now that's a credible use of a credit card music to your own ears not that of the bank manager?
    <smile>

Happy playing all!

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Blog Entries

Using A JimDunlop which has a rather rough surface, drives me crazy as there is a pick noise produced. That despite softness and great flexibility.
    The other is a Shark fin Landstrom

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hany Hayek View Post
    This is a pick related question. I am planning to order an Amber pick and was wondering if it can be made as per the Clayton small tear drop and at 0.8 mm thick.
    Has anyone tried that. Is it worth it. Amber is supposed to have same density as tortoise shell.
    Just be carefull in the filing. I recall reading somewhere that amber dust is toxic.

The entire staff
    funny....

33. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Ione CA in the beautiful gold country east of Sactown

I use tortoise picks exclusively, have for almost 50 years. I've had the same guitar pick for 15 years it's the perfect size, weight and thickness for me. Shows virtually no wear on the edges. A friend makes picks out of broken antique tortoise cosmetic boxes, purses etc and does a fantastic job. When I need another one -- probably 10 years form now -- I'll contact him.

I checked out the "Blue picks" and they seemed okay until I saw the price. Forget that...

I have a big pile of picks which I switch off depending on the instrument and the tone I want. My overall preference for mandolin has been Blue Chip LG Jazz 35, 40 or 50 (lighter for shorter scale instruments like L&H A with T-I strings) and the now "out of print" black plastic heavy Gibsons which I happened to buy a small bunch of, should I be in that mood. I also like the Roman style pick i got from my Belgian friend and one I made from ultem (as Bratsch mentioned).
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1