Thread: Setup - String height measurment

Default Setup - String height measurment

Forgive me if this has been covered...but in my searching, I have not found what seems like a definitive answer:

Is there a definitive string height measurement for; Low, Medium, & High actions on a mandolin using medium gauge strings? Also, does a radius fingerboard make a difference in terms of measuring?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

How

2003 Phoenix BG Model

Default Re: Setup - String height measurment

Or, if someone can point me to a good "thread" that covers the subject.

Thanks again,

How

Get a copy of Rob Meldrum's free e-book on setting up your instrument. Look for the many references to it here in the forum - you just drop Rob and e-mail and he will send you a link to download the book.

I'd say there was not so much a definitive height but a series of personal choices based on string gauge, player's style, the sort of music you play and even the instrument itself.

Quote Originally Posted by How View Post
    Forgive me if this has been covered...but in my searching, I have not found what seems like a definitive answer:

Is there a definitive string height measurement for; Low, Medium, & High actions on a mandolin using medium gauge strings? Also, does a radius fingerboard make a difference in terms of measuring?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

How

2003 Phoenix BG Model
    I like mediums Ej74's with the G sting @ 4/64ths 12th fret and the E @ about 3/64ths, typical BG setup with plenty volume.
    Best joe

Quote Originally Posted by ~Joe~ View Post
    I like mediums Ej74's with the G sting @ 4/64ths 12th fret and the E @ about 3/64ths, typical BG setup with plenty volume.
    Best joe
    FWIW 4/64 is also 1/16.
    Bill Snyder

6. The following members say thank you to Bill Snyder for this post:

Thanks folks...and Bill, I appreciate the math lesson too...(lowest common denominator stuff)...used to be a sign in Miami that said 2/10 of a mile to the exit and I considered climbing the sign one night (late) and making it 1/5!)

What John said -- email me at rob.meldrum@gmail.com for your free copy of my mandolin set up ebook. Free to all members of this wonderful website!

Rob

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Meldrum For This Useful Post:

Rob Meldrum sent me his setup e-book and it's a great resource for setup issues. Thanks to Rob and thanks to the other folks who posted suggestions to me.

Although just beginning Rob Meldrum's setup book...it looks like it's going to be great.

Many thanks to Rob Meldrum for his instruction on mandolin setup...I have really enjoyed reading it and it has answered many questions that I had...

Default Re: Setup - String height measurment - First Post

I chose to post my first post here to thank Rob for the wonderful eBook! I joined the forum yesterday but will be getting my first mandolin for Christmas, a Rover RM-50. My wife ordered it from an eBay dealer at a nice low price, but since it will be fresh out of the box on Christmas day, it will need a thorough setup. I've set up guitars but not to the extent that Rob details in his book. Thanks for the tool advice and the great tips.

I play Irish traditional music and since I've been learning fiddle and tenor banjo, it made sense to add the mandolin. I also live in an area where more country and bluegrass is played so I will not limit my style.

Gary