Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Case of Theft.

Blog Entries

Default Re: In Case of Theft.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sylvest View Post
    I've often wondered why folks feel comfortable listing their instruments as part of their signature on this Forum and others. That's just inviting trouble, IMHO. If you're happy and comfortable with the practice, more power to ya.
    Amen to that. Listing all the expensive goodies in handy travel cases that lie around the house has never seemed like a good idea to me. But I suppose its not much harder for a real criminal to find my pictures, so maybe I am fooling myself.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Amen to that. Listing all the expensive goodies in handy travel cases that lie around the house has never seemed like a good idea to me. But I suppose its not much harder for a real criminal to find my pictures, so maybe I am fooling myself.
    Good luck tying to find out where I live...I rent in a residential home, and ALL my mail goes to a PO Box
    ...so I t'aint a worried!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    Good luck tying to find out where I live...I rent in a residential home, and ALL my mail goes to a PO Box
    ...so I t'aint a worried!
    To be fair, maybe when I finally get that Ellis, Dude, Gil, Nugget, etc. I won't list it in the stable inventory either...LOL!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Blog Entries

Years ago, before the internet, one of our local musical community put together a directory, an address and phone number list, made copied and distributed them to each of us. The idea was that this would be an aid in inviting each other to parties and jams and gigs and such.

On this directory he wanted to list the instruments we all played, but I explained what a bad idea that was. If any of the copies of that directory got lost and into the extra-legal community we were all at risk.

The entire staff
    funny....

its nice to read that others take their instruments with them into the restroom when at a jam, never take them off, put their feet on the case when in a bar, etc.
    I thought I was a bit overly concerned. I do these very things too. There are some mighty creative folks when it comes to thievery.

regardless of who knows you, or would 'know' your instrument, the fact is, folks get distracted,
    and opportunists are superb at picking the right time to mosey over and mosey out.

Unless I specifically agree and direct a friend to mind my case/instrument ie don't take your eyes off it, I wont leave it-mandos are small, easily put under a coat, into a duffle, etc.

This looks interesting as an alternative to GPS tracking:

http://www.thetileapp.com/

Not available yet, preorder for $19. Battery not replaceable, after one year you need to replace the device. And the system relies on a lot of smart phone owners having the tile app installed. But interesting...

-Tom

Infrequently Smelt Gregory Tidwell's Avatar

I have pics of all of my instruments, inside and out. For the ones that would really hurt the wallet to lose, I have listed on a deductibless instrument endorsement on my homeowner's policy. So if the bigguns ever get stolen or accidentally destroyed (or another covered loss occurs), then after the tears I get enough of an insurance payout to buy that Octar I want so badly.
    Objects in mirror are closer then they appear.

- Buick, 1986

My instruments are insured in my home contents policy for their replacement value - as long as they're stolen/broken in my home.
    A few years back,i enquired about insuring my banjo,guitar & both my mandolins for 'playing out' & was quoted £250 UK per instrument per year that's $1,603 US currently. So,i do what i've done for the last 50 years,they're in my hand or in the case in my hand. I have my Bowie knife in my other !!,(not really !)
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Thanks, Jeff and Patrick. You are probably right and I appreciate your pointing it out. I've had some of my instruments listed in my signature, to make myself available as a resource to Cafe members who might have questions about a similar instrument. In light of your thoughts, though, I have removed that list from my signature. It is sad that we live in a world where we can't offer each other that kind of simple information.

Best wishes,

Bob

Bob, just hide them under your cat!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Bob, just hide them under your cat!
    Darn, you figured out my hiding spot! I even had my OM hiding under him

Lots of good suggestions above.

I insure (separate policy rider) and my broker has pictures and serial numbers where applicable.
    Every instrument has my personal ID hidden inside, as does every case, strap, and accessory.
    All cases are labeled.
    All house entrance doors are locked. Two dogs patrol inside.

My policy was tested 2 years ago after a tornado and the insurance adjuster just assumed I'd be claiming for multiple instruments when I didn't have to. Sigh of relief. They were prepared to cover me fully.

I won't live in fear though. Whatever happens, happens. If someone steals my stuff, I'll fight to get it back, but ultimately I have to carry on and deal with whatever happens.

Blog Entries

If you insure with your homeowners, be sure that you are covered if you are out playing the instrument and it is stolen from you. If it was a paying gig, (or can be construed to be a paying gig), you might not be covered. Read the fine print.

The entire staff
    funny....