Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's lobby for the mandolin. :)

Default Let's lobby for the mandolin. :)

Reddit asking what instrument would you like to hear more of in popular music.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/commen..._to_hear_more/

2. The following members say thank you to Elliot Luber for this post:

Default Re: Let's lobby for the mandolin. :)

I would actually like to hear less popular music.
    Steve

4. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Steve L For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ione CA in the beautiful gold country east of Sactown

It's amazing how much the little buggers show up in commercials that want you to feel the product is "authentic." Whether it's a burger or a vehicle, once you hear that eedle-eedle-eedle you know they want you to believe in their wares...

Quote Originally Posted by bjewell View Post
    It's amazing how much the little buggers show up in commercials that want you to feel the product is "authentic." Whether it's a burger or a vehicle, once you hear that eedle-eedle-eedle you know they want you to believe in their wares...
    It's funny isn't it? It seems like if they want to sell a car to cute young couples, they use a ukulele, and if they want to sell beer or whiskey to beardos, they use a mandolin.

One of my worst fears is the mandolin becoming "mainstream", or being as ubiquitous as the guitar. I'm quite happy with its history and its current place in music. Some folks may see this position as not being in the best interests of the mandolin world. I see it as being the best thing for the mandolin world. To expand its popularity is to destroy, or alter permanently, its image. Popular culture has nothing favorable to offer. But that's just the opinion of this rural Texan.

I guess that's my fancy way of saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    One of my worst fears is the mandolin becoming "mainstream", or being as ubiquitous as the guitar... To expand its popularity is to destroy, or alter permanently, its image.
    One of my worst fears is that the mandolin will remain so esoteric that people will still ask if it is a ukulele out of ignorance. Just look at the banjo: ten years ago, commoners only associated it with inbreeding and white southerner stereotypes. Now with groups like M&S and the Avett Bros., the banjo is a respectable instrument amongst a greater portion of the masses. Sure, those groups don't use it in a traditional way, but it gets people interested in banjo music, and then it opens the door for them to eventually stumble upon great players like Bela Fleck, Steve Martin, Noam Pikelney, etc.

Honestly, I can only foresee a surge in mandolin popularity as being a good thing for its longevity. Show people that it is a wonderful and fun instrument that is capable of anything. Show people that it is very much in touch with modernity as well as its rich tradition, so that it does not become lost to time and obscurity in the name of shielding it from outside influence. Show people that it has a wonderfully unique family of its larger cousins, and maybe we'll start seeing an octave mando or mandocello start to replace guitars in certain situations, maybe even a resurgence of mandolin-family groups and mando-orchestras. Show people that the mandolin is not a frightening sound or a backwards instrument of austerity, but rather one of the greatest, sweetest, coolest, most versatile, and most enjoyable instruments of all time, and never again will we have to endure the irritation of "that's a weird little guitar thing."

--Tom
    Last edited by Tom Coletti; Sep-20-2013 at 1:21pm.

Tobin,

I can't disagree with your post more.

I was stuck in the car and the classic rock station played some Metallica. I realized, it takes a really focused, innocent and hopeful young person to think that they can shock or change the world through music. Popular music that hooks kids and gets them singing, playing and dancing is constructive -- even when it sets out to be wild and harsh and anti-old. Only the manipulation of the marketers and media machine turns that sour.

Luckily, with the internet, young people can find and make music without being as polluted by big money as they were even 20 years ago. My 19 year-old daughter listens to Rap, Ska, Bluegrass, Reggae, Rock, New-age and psuedo-"Americana" all in the same playlist. Most of her musician friends are the same. The other day she texted me to let me know she found a great new band called Jefferson Airplane . . .

100 years ago, the mandolin was the most popular stringed instrument . . . It was eclipsed by the guitar and then electric-powered music.

But now, as young people graze over all the music available to them, there is a whole set who are finding acoustic and roots-based music. Seems the entry level instrument is the Ukulele (or Banjo!)

I'm hoping that as this wide-ranging Uke generation grows up, a good set of them gravitate toward the mandolin!

Making music, by it's very nature is hopeful, soul-building and healthy -- even when it starts out as simple, bland or contrived.

Remember, most of the "classic" music we jam on now was considered "Popular" music not so long ago.

I can think of nothing more positive for the future of the world than having more people making music with the magnificent mandolin.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve Sorensen For This Useful Post:

KEBNevinrb3868 

As Tobin remarks--any entity is altered when subsumed under mechanization

Folk music is paradoxical: so formally accessible, and yet "esoteric." Hard to avoid philosophic and sociologic observation when replying to these

Quote Originally Posted by StevenS View Post
    I can think of nothing more positive for the future of the world than having more people making music with the magnificent mandolin.
    This is all personal opinion anyway, but think of the genre of music you detest the most. Imagine the most profane or grotesque style of musical entertainment, and then picture it being done with a mandolin at its center. Then imagine all of the followers of that style of music buying mandolins and completely hijacking the image of the mandolin so that when people think of the mandolin, they equate it with that awful style of music.

Would that really be the positive future you had hoped for?

I do agree that I'd like to see future generations playing the mandolin. But if I'm being honest, it's because I'd like them to gravitate towards more traditional acoustic music. A return to the mandolin and other traditional acoustic instruments being played in family rooms across the nation would be a refreshing thing. But the idea of the mandolin being hijacked into popular music, and all the negative stuff associated with it, doesn't exactly thrill me.

Fortunately for most people, I'm not in charge of such things.

14. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

There are some good points here. I personally dislike most popular music they put on the radio. Lots of catchy little jingles that have little or no meaning to me personally.
    Delving into fusion genres and some older music, though, it can be quite good. Anybody ever hear of psychobilly?
    I've seen mandolin videos that are really awesome. Some stuff by the Smiths (That guy has a great tremelo, almost reminded me of a harp, it was sweet and pure).
    I suppose, what I'm saying here, is, just as there is "mainstream" and "popular" music, that's with a group of people. We all have our metal-heads, rappers, country singers and the like. All of these people have their own following.

Of course everything involves an aesthetic choice. And without castigating the whole of popular culture (though warranted as it typically is), I find limiting my exposure to stereotype refreshing. I enjoy the unique

Blog Entries

Folding mandolin into other music styles is great. I don't have to like them. My daughter loves a screamo band that incorporates violin and cello in their thrash metal wailings. Bemoaning the spread of an instrument into other genres is like bemoaning using a tool from the shop on some other project.

Tiny Tim didn't kill the ukulele. Chris Thile didn't destroy bluegrass. I'm a fan of diversity in sound over homogeneity. Certainly in the abstract while maybe not enjoying some of the particulars. I have a pretty broad range in terms of music I find stimulating and interesting or with merit.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

18. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

The mandolin was certainly very popular a century ago but was it "the most popular stringed instrument"? Over the violin? Banjo in early jazz or even the guitar in early blues or country music? There is a real lacking of early recordings of mandolin music compared to many other instruments. So people liked to play but not so popular to listen to? The most extensive discography of early blues mandolin recordings is one that Rich DelGrosso put together...it's a pretty short list.
    I think the mandolin in popular music is alive and well and you hear it more and more. Last night something popped up on "Son's of Anarchy". It seems to pop up much more than it did 20,30 years ago. Face it most popular music is not acoustic music although that seems to be getting a bit of a resurgence lately. Electric mandolin has a limited appeal -even to me-- and I have a mandocaster. Maybe if we can get the surf shops to start selling mandolins like they seem to be doing with the ukelele -------

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post

Tiny Tim didn't kill the ukulele.
    But delayed its general dissemination by a generation--he and Welk, on their respective instruments

But all things cycle, so who's to say what's "normal" evolution...difficult to predict the trajectory of phenomena...but fun

Hey, my main instrument -- at least the one with the most formal training -- is the pedal steel guitar. An Emmons D-10 (two 10 string necks on the frame, eight pedals and at least four knee levers all to change tuning on the fly) weighs about 65lbs. in the case. A matching amp such as a Twin Reverb is another 70lbs. You don't just go out and jam with those suckers. And the pedal steel is dying despite the fact that it is the very essence of Country and Country Rock. It takes deep, deep theory understanding and chops that are beyond description to play up to speed and steel players are the craziest guys in any band.

I am loving my new mandolin friend. I hope it stays just close enough to mainstream that people can identify it but not so close that they are selling cheapos at Costco like they sell guitars...

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bjewell For This Useful Post:

With wide dissemination comes much dross...as sturgeon observed

What's worse?...Tim, Welk, and racks full of rubbish F-style "ornamented" mandolins at Costco, or relative obscurity..

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Hey guys I know you all wanna see the little Cyrus girl twerkin all over a mandolin neck while the upright bass is just a thumpin! I know I "DONT"

I am loving my new mandolin friend. I hope it stays just close enough to mainstream that people can identify it but not so close that they are selling cheapos at Costco like they sell guitars...
    I canīt agree about this. Massive selling means massive production, and that means cheaper good quality instruments. I bought an Ibanez artcore af75 second hand for 200 dollars (150 euros actually). Its a really AMAZING guitar for that price. I own 4 ukuleles, and when I bought three of them I had to pay more (and none of them is nothing special). Now, I donīt care for most of the guitar playing nowadays, but I liked the chance to own a serious instrument for that money. When I bought my "the Loar vs-600" I paid 800 dollars new. But I would preffer getting it second hand for say 250-300...

Mainstream music, I do hate it, but it wonīt stop me from playing the instruments I like...

Quote Originally Posted by little george View Post
    I canīt agree about this. Massive selling means massive production, and that means cheaper good quality instruments. I bought an Ibanez artcore af75 second hand for 200 dollars (150 euros actually). Its a really AMAZING guitar for that price. I own 4 ukuleles, and when I bought three of them I had to pay more (and none of them is nothing special). Now, I donīt care for most of the guitar playing nowadays, but I liked the chance to own a serious instrument for that money. When I bought my "the Loar vs-600" I paid 800 dollars new. But I would preffer getting it second hand for say 250-300...

Mainstream music, I do hate it, but it wonīt stop me from playing the instruments I like...
    Boy do I disagree with that. Massive selling means crap, period. And it also means massive cutting of tone woods. I'll say the following with a BIG FRIENDLY SMILE: Don't be such a cheapskate! :- ) :- ) :- ) Quality instruments will always cost a premium. Step up to the plate and you will never have to apologize for having "nothing special" :- ) Okay? -L-

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bjewell For This Useful Post:

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

bass player gone mando

Hey, my main instrument -- at least the one with the most formal training -- is the pedal steel guitar. An Emmons D-10 (two 10 string necks on the frame, eight pedals and at least four knee levers all to change tuning on the fly) weighs about 65lbs. in the case. A matching amp such as a Twin Reverb is another 70lbs. You don't just go out and jam with those suckers. And the pedal steel is dying despite the fact that it is the very essence of Country and Country Rock. It takes deep, deep theory understanding and chops that are beyond description to play up to speed and steel players are the craziest guys in any band.
    That is so true. I love pedal steel and went and got myself one, figuring - hey, it's a stringed instrument, how hard can it be to play? I have a pretty deep theory understanding, and I took some lessons.

Short answer - it's really, really hard, notwithstanding all that. I decided to put it down as it would have monopolized my practice time to the detriment of mandolin, upright bass and bass guitar.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

31. The following members say thank you to chuck3 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by chuck3 View Post
    ... pedal steel - it's really, really hard..
    Like driving a manual transmission--steering with your knees--while eating a salad (with dressing)

I want to hear more cowbell.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    I want to hear more cowbell.
    Only if played with spoons...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Well, if mandolin became mainstream and were picked up by some form of music that I didn't care for (with its attendant fan base), it actually wouldn't affect my playing ITM. And it wouldn't stop me from playing baroque on my bowlback. The fact that thrash metal or whatever uses guitars hasn't stopped my cousin from diving straight into classical and flamenco guitar. there's tons of really terrible fiction out there, but it hasn't stopped me from reading the classics or delving into the good writers in the genres I favor. I think even the mandolin would survive popularity. Personally, I'd rather it stayed kind of niche, but if it did become a mainstream instrument, that would mean more chances of someone being introduced to music through it. And there'd be a bigger market in used instruments once people realized how much skill it takes to play it well ...
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randi Gormley For This Useful Post: