Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good starter Bill Monroe Album

Default Good starter Bill Monroe Album

I guys I know this has probably been asked a million times but, could you all give me your opinions on a top 5 Bill Monroe albums and from them any solo/breaks to take down.

You never know I may post them up

Regards

Craig

Blog Entries

Default Re: Good starter Bill Monroe Album

Well get his 4 cd box set and that covers from the beginning to the end of his career. And has some great stuff, fast and slow. Gives ya an idea of his fills/backup/solos in his different eras. I like it.

3. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

55bar 

Thank you Bluegrasser,

I came to the mandolin through Chris T and the punch brothers stuff so I'm working my way back to the roots.

Any seminal albums, solos etc?

I've just started listening to Monroe also, and I personally like Blue Yodel No. 4, and the mandolin breaks in it.

Master of Bluegrass, Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe, Uncle Pen will get you started on a good foot.

There are some great DVD's, and much stuff on YouTube..."Southern flavor", "Jenny Lynn" w/Ali Bain, and "Gold Rush" w/ Bryon Berline (co-wrote it w/Bill) are among my go-to favorites.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dan in va For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Oddly enough, my favorite `bill monroe' album is Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe [which does have Monroe on it].

There really aren't must-have albums IMO, there's pieces of brilliance throughout his career. Earlier stuff sounds more vital but the later stuff has some amazing instrumentals and pieces that sure stand up.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

9. The following members say thank you to Markus for this post:

55bar 

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

This is from Fred Robbins site of BG Festival recordings that have been digitalized...there is a wealth of Monroe stuff from the contributors, all downloadable into mp3 format. Poke around and enjoy...

http://frobbi.org/truemancollection.html
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

A true album so to say (i.e. lp), Master of Bluegrass for some his instrumentals.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

13. The following members say thank you to Bigtuna for this post:

55bar 

Some fantastic, suggestions. I know this sounds odd but I don't "get" Bill Monroe yet, but just have this "feeling" that I need to invest some time soaking up what makes him so great, I think once I understand even a small part of this Synergy, it will improve my musicianship and musicality ten fold.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar View Post
    Some fantastic, suggestions. I know this sounds odd but I don't "get" Bill Monroe yet, but just have this "feeling" that I need to invest some time soaking up what makes him so great, I think once I understand even a small part of this Synergy, it will improve my musicianship and musicality ten fold.
    Wise musings...I didn't "get" bluegrass for years; but when you really listen closely to Mr. Monroe you'll hear the depth of soul in his music/playing...if that means anything to you. To some that's not important, and that's OK!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2630246452.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	107059

I think we are living in a society were there is a need for everything to become become "instant" so far in my life anything I have invested time in has given me a better understanding and a deeper connection. Jim hall was my first Epiphany when I bought the album "the bridge" I suddenly "got it".

I think people have tried to explain what makes Bill so good, and many of them have had a good go at trying to "sanitise" or "distill" the magic, by writing out books of licks and "style" analysis. Sometimes though the magic just can't be put into words, it's like reading a description of the Sistine Chappell or the mona Lisa you just have to "be there" in the moment, experiencing it for yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar View Post
    I think a place to start with understanding him is to know that his playing is arguably more rhythmic than melodic. For example he doesn't play every note of a fiddle tune. He will "dance" around the melody usually with arpeggio-like ideas and while infusing them with a powerful rhythmic pulse.

His solos to songs are often very syncopated and incredibly bluesy. He often punctuates them with passages of powerful down strokes which sound like proto-rock and roll to me.

He was very creative all his career, but I think my favorite period was from 1950-1958 which is covered by the Bear Family 4 CD set. That period is filled with hit after hit with versions of Muleskinner, My Little Georgia Rose, I'm On My Way To The Old Home, Uncle Pen, Raw Hide, In The Pines, Get Up John, On and On, Wheel Hoss, Cheyenne, etc.

Thanks Bill, i plan on doing a great deal of listening!

20. The following members say thank you to John Gardinsky for this post:

55bar 

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Bill's playing was a "fluid" thing over time....the mandolin of the 30's and early 40's wasn't the playing of the late 40's or early 50's and then on to the playing of the late 50's to mid 60's and so on.
    There is no one recording that is "Bill Monroe" mandolin to the nth degree of definition.

The folks above have all captured parts and pieces of it and are very correct in directing you to those recordings. Because of the length of time he played and the genius that was him, it is a daunting task to define which ones capture it.

Go look in the Bluegrass section of the Café and I have posted several Bill Monroe nuggets that are live and raw and they too capture a part of him...

Interesting fellow to see in action....

22. The following members say thank you to Gary Hedrick for this post:

55bar 

IMHO there aren't really 5 'must haves' re.Bill Monroe's recordings. Nearly all his records have a few gems on them. One of my personal favourites is 'Bluegrass Special' for the recording of 'Big Sandy River'. Bluegrass Ramble is another good one - but each in it's own way are all good. If you still own a record player,have a look for a good copy of 'Bluegrass Instrumentals'. It's never been put on CD as a single recording,the tunes are scattered around several of the Bear Family boxed sets,but it contains many of his cassic
    tunes,
    Ivan

Name:	Bluegrass Instrumentals LP  cover.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	107060
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

24. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

If you don't want to spring for a 4-CD box set just yet, the 2-CD Anthology (~$20) is a good entry point. Lots of classic tracks starting from the early 1950s, when he really hit his stride (IMO).

As others have said, he wasn't really an album-oriented recording artist - much of his recorded work was first issued on singles (78s and later 45s) and later compiled onto albums by Decca/MCA and others, with greater or lesser degree of cohesiveness, so it's usually a matter of finding well-thought-out compilations. (Exceptions to that being the aforementioned Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe, a classic that for all intents and purposes is a Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys instrumental album, and Master of Bluegrass, which is mixed appallingly but is well worth having anyway for the music.)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wolfboy For This Useful Post:

Anthology for 50's and later, 16 Gems for the 40's work with Flatt and Scruggs. For about $30 you will have a great representation of music throughout his career. If money is no issue and you want a more complete library of Monroe get the Bear family box sets.
    Kentucky KM 140 (Sold)
    Weber-Made The Loar
    Eastwood Mandocaster (Sold)
    Kala SMHC Concert Uke (Sold)
    1910 Gibson A-1
    The Loar LM 700
    Washburn B8K Banjo
    Recording King RA 998-E resonator
    1923 Gibson F-4 with double stamped FON

28. The following members say thank you to Kevin Stevens for this post:

Bluegrass Ramble

Great (very traditional) material, great singing, great band, great mandolin playing. Not available as a CD but easily found in LP (or cassette) form.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesserules For This Useful Post:

This JSP set is pretty good...

Name:	JSP7712.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	107069

It takes you from his early brother duet stuff up to some of the great classic bluegrass stuff. The second JSP set, which is more of Bill Monroe in the late '50s/early'60s (if I recall) is weirder, but also a good deal.

32. The following members say thank you to SincereCorgi for this post:

55bar 

I'd also recommend a non Monroe Cd from Butch Waller called "Golden Gate Promenade". It great Monroe tunes (for the most part), clean and available on iTunes. You won't be disappointed.
    Go Vandals!

34. The following members say thank you to Dan Cole for this post:

55bar 

I also enjoyed his "austin City Limits" appearences. I taped them back to back when pbs ran them together in the 90s. I imagine they're available as dvds.
    Jim Richmond

This is all great stuff, thank you all for shearing your knowledge.

I second the vote for 'Bluegrass Instrumentals'..It's a great album. Still have mine,though pretty worn out.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

38. The following members say thank you to Vernon Hughes for this post:

55bar 

Many thanks for the info. on the "Antholgy" CD's Robin,i hadn't heard of those,but judging by the track listing,they're well worth having,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.