Thread: Old Washburn questions

Default Old Washburn questions

First time here...Bought a Washburn F-style M-3 SW a while ago. Someone on the thread elsewhere here on Mando Cafe said serial number tells you manufacturing date and month. Mine reads, "7110032." If that's correct, my mando was built in October, 1971. Anyone have any background on this 42-year old lady--country of origin, woods, etc. It plays fine, though could use a tune up...anyone know a good person for this in Northern Virginia/DC area? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Old Washburn questions

Here's what the Washburn website says about serial numbers:

How can I date/identify my Washburn instrument?
    Washburn has used many serial number formats over the years, ranging from 4-12 characters long. The year of manufacture can be deduced from the first few numerical characters in the serial number.

Either the first 2 digits, or the first digit, are typically used to identify the year of manufacture. For example, 8901827 indicate the instrument was made in 1989, 1988, or 1998. You can confirm the year of manufacture by visiting our guitar archives reference pricelists/ catalogs.

Instruments with serial numbers that have 5 or more characters are from the late 1980's-2000's

Instruments with serial numbers that have 5 characters or less are typically from the 1980's.

Instruments with serial numbers that have 4 characters are from the 1970's and early 1980's.

For instruments produced after 2010, usually the first 4 digits can indicate the year of manufacture.

There is no serial number information or tracking capability for pre-1978 models.

If the instrument does not have a serial number, it is likely a factory prototype or sample, and it is impossible to gauge its exact age. We recommend visiting our Guitar Archives and viewing the annual catalogs to find the closest match.

Washburn maintains limited production records. Washburn can only identify instruments via email, and with a clear digital photograph and serial number. We cannot guarantee that we are able to date your instrument.

Specs on the M3sw say it's all-solid-woods, carved spruce top, maple back/sides.

Country of origin is People's Republic of China, I believe. Don't confuse current Washburn instruments, with those sold by Lyon & Healy out of Chicago, 75-100 years ago.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

The Washburn name was revived in the mid-late 70s and the instruments built in Japan by a variety of factories. In the early 80s I worked for the Australian importers of the brand and got to see a lot of them. At the cheaper end they were average plywood instruments, but the better quality guitars, mandolins and banjos were rather good, especially the mandolins and banjos, made from good quality timbers and well put together.

cheers

graham

Quote Originally Posted by Irv Comstock View Post
    First time here...Bought a Washburn F-style M-3 SW a while ago. Someone on the thread elsewhere here on Mando Cafe said serial number tells you manufacturing date and month. Mine reads, "7110032." If that's correct, my mando was built in October, 1971. Anyone have any background on this 42-year old lady--country of origin, woods, etc. It plays fine, though could use a tune up...anyone know a good person for this in Northern Virginia/DC area? Thanks in advance.

Thanks much for your info. this Washburn seems to be well constructed but i have to file a couple fret markers to ride of buzz at a lower bridge height for better action.

Quote Originally Posted by Irv Comstock View Post
    Thanks much for your info. this Washburn seems to be well constructed but i have to file a couple fret markers to ride of buzz at a lower bridge height for better action.
    The fret markers are proud of the fretboard to the point of causing a buzz?
    Bill Snyder

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orrico 2.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	107374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orrico 3.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	107375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orrico 4.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	107376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orrico.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	107377

Heres my Washburn serial number 1908, so I assume it must be part of the late 70's early 80's crop (Cream of the?). I've had a new bridge and tailpiece installed as well as bigger frets and the fretboard radiused. It sounds quite good I think (I can't find anyone around here who plays mandolin so I can't hear it projected towards me), less overtones and chimey than most ovals I've heard. I know it's based off the old Lyon & Healy mandolins atleast aesthetically but I would say it sounds like a pretty good reproduction of one when compared to the videos on Youtube

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Wow. I don't want this to come across the wrong way at all. When 1980s Japanese mandolins are referred to as "Old Washburns" we are in a really strange space-time continuum.

As Graham and Allen have relayed, there was once-upon-a-time an ancient mandolin company that named one of their products "Washburn" (after one of the founders of the company.) Then there was an appropriation of the name for marketing purposes by a company based (or at least the instrument production based) in Japan. Zero relation between the two, but for spelling.

However, examples of mandolins from both eras are now (justifiably) considered "old" or potentially "vintage".

Todo esto es muy muy pesado.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post

Specs on the M3sw say it's all-solid-woods, carved spruce top, maple back/sides.

Country of origin is People's Republic of China, I believe. Don't confuse current Washburn instruments, with those sold by Lyon & Healy out of Chicago, 75-100 years ago.
    For what it's worth, Washburn mandolin production from the 1970s to the late 1980s was in Japan, then they moved to Korea, and about ten years ago moved again to China. Same trajectory as other imported brands, such as Kentucky. Washburn tried hard to disguise the origin of each instrument, so the labels don't give any info on the country of origin -- you have to piece that together from the serial number. I have a 1989 M3-SW, which may have been made in Japan or in Korea but either way is a really nice instrument, good workmanship, properly carved top, good playability and good tone (at least after I upgraded the stock bridge to a Cumberland Acoustics one). Only reservation is that the finish, while a nice colour and well-applied, is rather thick and glossy. I've seen the more recent Chinese incarnations of the M3-SW, and while the specs read similar, they seemed rather lower build quality and more generic than mine. That's probably a reflection of the fact that in 1989, the M3-SW was Washburn's top-of-the-line F-Style whereas they now have several higher and more expensive models.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    For what it's worth, Washburn mandolin production from the 1970s to the late 1980s was in Japan, then they moved to Korea, and about ten years ago moved again to China. Same trajectory as other imported brands, such as Kentucky. Washburn tried hard to disguise the origin of each instrument, so the labels don't give any info on the country of origin -- you have to piece that together from the serial number. I have a 1989 M3-SW, which may have been made in Japan or in Korea but either way is a really nice instrument, good workmanship, properly carved top, good playability and good tone (at least after I upgraded the stock bridge to a Cumberland Acoustics one). Only reservation is that the finish, while a nice colour and well-applied, is rather thick and glossy. I've seen the more recent Chinese incarnations of the M3-SW, and while the specs read similar, they seemed rather lower build quality and more generic than mine. That's probably a reflection of the fact that in 1989, the M3-SW was Washburn's top-of-the-line F-Style whereas they now have several higher and more expensive models.

Martin

Hey, hope this thread is OK for my question.

I got a Washburn mandolin back in early 90's, serial # A-10099 which also has good size white 'J' inlay on the back top neck. I seem to remember somebody telling me it was an 1899, based on the number; never did ask about that J.

Looked high and low, can't find any information, hoping someone can help-