Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The winner of the Collings MT2 Giveaway

Default Re: The winner of the Collings MT2 Giveaway

I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed in the winning names myself. I put quite a bit of effort into a name that at least tried to tie the mandolin, Bach and CT together in a clever way. Wasn't the purpose to "make us think, laugh, etc?" These just seem kinda corny, juvenile and not even pertinent. Oh well, just like music, one man's Miley Cyrus is another man's Billie Holliday. Congrats to the winners and enjoy your awesome new mando! Guess now I gotta pay for one like everyone else... ; (

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 3rdegree For This Useful Post:

Registered User Matt Livingston's Avatar

Mine was "Torchlight" (What can I say? It looks like a flame.)

In 250 letters, I tried to create various images. Candlelight dinner listening to Italian folk songs. A teenager up past midnight, practicing by flame, hoping to learn a Chris Thile lick by morning. A torch lit festival parking lot at 3 AM putting other instruments to shame in a jam. On a big stage under the lights, backing a band and taking a smokin' lead break. Providing light. Generating heat. It was the Torchlight... but I guess its Lucy.
    Last edited by Matt Livingston; Sep-25-2013 at 2:25pm.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Livingston For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Thanks for not selecting me (even though my entry was obviously the best), as you must have realised that I could not have afforded to pay the tax and import duty which would have been extorted from me when my prize entered the UK!
    Yeah, and thanks for not selecting me (even though my entry was obviously the best), as you must have realized that I couldn't have afforded to keep the MT2 either. My husband (over my protests, of course) was already salivating profusely at how much I could hypothetically get for selling it on eBay. So thanks for saving my marriage, because that would've been tough to endure!

And some of you guys are probably naive enough to think that a "honey do list" is the exclusive province of the male sex! (I ask, what bigger "honey do" could exist than requesting one give up all the prestige and mojo of owning a free prize mando for the sake of the household budget?)

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

6. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

Svea 

The winners were Lucy, Sunburst Trophy Wife, Nigel Tufnel, Plink Freud, Bach n Blue, PluckN A.

Huh?

When I wrote my entry, I kept in mind what music means to me: mystery, spirituality, a chance to touch the Infinite. Beauty, truth, expression of emotion. Exploration of new worlds of sound. Transcendence of self.

Big mistake.

The judges believe that the name of a 1950s TV star, or a character in a 1980s movie comedy, or a takeoff on the curse "f__in' A", or a simple pun, are the best possible names for this high-quality mandolin. With all due respect to the kind donors of this fine instrument: though I do have a sense of humor...

...I disagree.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PositivePicker For This Useful Post:

Congrats Todd!

Don't forget to post pix and vids!

10. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post:

Registered User Justin Carvitto's Avatar

I would love to see the remaining entries from the top 20. Great contest, this got a lot of people excited about mandolins. That's what it's all about.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Carvitto For This Useful Post:

If this was a lesser mandolin, you wouldn't see the heartfelt emotions being displayed here. Part of the fun is thinking you did your best and being excited by your entry's chances. Sure, there is a bit of disappointment, but you can't have 3,000 winners. My "Sir Chopsalot" didn't win... but I didn't lose anything. I had the opportunity to be creative and had the chance to feel excited about a contest.

Many thanks to the sponsors and all those involved. Todd, play that thing in good health for all of us.

14. The following members say thank you to 4Strings for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by PositivePicker View Post
    The winners were Lucy, Sunburst Trophy Wife, Nigel Tufnel, Plink Freud, Bach n Blue, PluckN A.

Huh?

When I wrote my entry, I kept in mind what music means to me: mystery, spirituality, a chance to touch the Infinite. Beauty, truth, expression of emotion. Exploration of new worlds of sound. Transcendence of self.

Big mistake.

The judges believe that the name of a 1950s TV star, or a character in a 1980s movie comedy, or a takeoff on the curse "f__in' A", or a simple pun, are the best possible names for this high-quality mandolin. With all due respect to the kind donors of this fine instrument: though I do have a sense of humor...

...I disagree.
    HUH!!!!!!!!
    What a waste of time! Will Collings market this as their "Lucy"? Good Luck!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandoNC For This Useful Post:

Where's the cream? drjuliushibbert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Carvitto View Post
    I would love to see the remaining entries from the top 20. Great contest, this got a lot of people excited about mandolins. That's what it's all about.
    Yeah it would be great to see the top 20 - any chance of this?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drjuliushibbert For This Useful Post:

I understand we all wish we won, but just keep in mind that contests such as these ones are by definition highly subjective. No one said the names have to be artsy, high brow, or flowery. It just needs to appeal to the judge's imagination, and I dont think we should be second guessing their decisions, esp. given the great generosity and effort they put into the contest.

Again, congrats to all the winners (esp. you Todd). Hope to see a picture of you holding the beautiful mando with a big grin on your face.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clement Barrera-Ng For This Useful Post:

I don't get why this was even considered:
    "Nigel Tufnel - Nigel was really influenced by Bach and wrote a trilogy in Dm, the saddest of keys called Lick My Love Pump. This Mando would kick ass which echoes Artie Fufkin who had no timing. He requested the band, "Kick my Ass." I'm not asking, I'm telling."

Threads have been locked down for less than this.

I'm not griping about the competition, I didn't enter it. Congratulatons, Todd.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Sheehy For This Useful Post:

+1 Eddie, that kinda blows my mind how that entry didnt land on the editing room floor. The contest was great and I applaud the cafe for having it but I have to say, I lost some respect for the site after reading that was a winner. I thought this was more of a family friendly place and that is far from being family friendly.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shortymack For This Useful Post:

Congratulations Todd...you've got yourself a keeper!

How I see it: I entered a contest with 3,000 to 1 odds against me, but I didn't have to pay anything or give away any significant personal information, so I really have no reason to complain because I didn't lose anything, I didn't really expect anything, and I couldn't predict how it was to be judged. Even if I had won and it was destroyed in shipping, I might be bummed out a bit, but at the end of the day, Collings and d'Addario would be losing money on this for our benefit and not the other way around.

Thanks to all who made the contest possible, congrats to Todd and the other winners, and to everyone else: you need to anticipate a loss when you gamble. Just be happy that you didn't actually lose anything this time around...

--Tom

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Coletti For This Useful Post:

I have no problem with the content of the surprisingly controversial entry (Spinal Tap is a great movie), but I'm surprised that the judges didn't go for something that showed a bit more creativity. Pop culture references are amusing, but very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_P View Post
    I have no problem with the content of the surprisingly controversial entry (Spinal Tap is a great movie), but I'm surprised that the judges didn't go for something that showed a bit more creativity. Pop culture references are amusing, but very easy.
    I didn't even recognize it as a pop culture reference, but those tend to go over my head, anyway. I'm also surprised that the judges didn't go for more creative ones, though, especially as the instructions included this:

"Put your thinking caps on — the more creative, funny, clever, or unique, the better! We'll be judging this on which names and reasons behind them make us laugh, think... or question our very existence."

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Thank you all for the congratulations! She's definitely going to a good home. I was so surprised to find my wit has landed me in something other than hot water.
    Todd Joles, handyman and aspiring luthier!

San Diego's own Rock Bottom Bluegrass!

Traditional music played without talent!

The greatest band you've never heard!

31. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to toddjoles For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Congrats Todd, Nice mando, and fun contest.... Guess "Banjo Head" wouldn't have been a good name anywho...smile!
    'Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life?
    Think I'll just loaf today then. Fred.

Congratulations, Todd. You must be excited.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Todd - it sounds like you're really going to play and enjoy this beauty. That makes me happy!
    Collings MT0
    Morgan Monroe MVA-1

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Jim, I am! Bookmn, I certainly will. My wife was happy for me but she did mention that maybe I needed to thin the herd to make room for it. LOL! I just gave her the bewildered look and pretended not to understand her comment....
    Todd Joles, handyman and aspiring luthier!

San Diego's own Rock Bottom Bluegrass!

Traditional music played without talent!

The greatest band you've never heard!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toddjoles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by toddjoles View Post
    Jim, I am! Bookmn, I certainly will. My wife was happy for me but she did mention that maybe I needed to thin the herd to make room for it. LOL! I just gave her the bewildered look and pretended not to understand her comment....
    You should have said, "OK, where will you be moving to?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    You should have said, "OK, where will you be moving to?"
    Or - "How would we get around if we sell the car honey?"

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    I don't get why this was even considered:
    "Nigel Tufnel - Nigel was really influenced by Bach and wrote a trilogy in Dm, the saddest of keys called Lick My Love Pump. This Mando would kick ass which echoes Artie Fufkin who had no timing. He requested the band, "Kick my Ass." I'm not asking, I'm telling."

Threads have been locked down for less than this.
    What about "Pluckin A"? Seems weird on a site that would censure you for typing an F, some symbols and a K. A strange contradiction that was definitely noticed. As for the rest of the names? Sunburst Trophy Wife is the one that surprised me most. It seems sexist and somewhat misogynistic.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandolirius For This Useful Post:

I also found 2 of the winning names offensive for this family friendly website. I suspect this has put our leader in a very uncomfortable position of dealing with major sponsors who took advantage of this sight. I think an apology from the judges is in order.

42. The following members say thank you to dustyamps for this post:

Hobo