Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cumberland bridges

Default Cumberland bridges

Any improvement over a standard Weber bridge ?
    Thanks/joe

Default Re: Cumberland bridges

Joe,
    I was wondering the same thing. We sure could use some opinions on this.

Well I just ordered a pickguard for my Weber and a nice person I was talking to on the phone at Cumberland wanted me to try one, he said he would ship it with my pickguard and if I liked it mail him a check, if not just send it back, I agreed so I guess I will find out for myself, I really don't want to mess with it if the café crowd don't tell me go for it ?
    Best/joe

For what it's worth, my two cents worth is that the Cumberland gives a more satisfying tone on my Weber A model Fern. The overall tone is less "bright" and the A and E seem to have more of a bell like quality. However, each person has their own "special sound" they are seeking and you might come to a different conclusion.

I certainly felt like it was worth the time and effort to make the change.
    1992 Flatiron F5 Master model
    2009 Weber A model Fern
    2011 Collings MT mandola
    1985 Flatiron 2M

5. The following members say thank you to Eldon Dennis for this post:

Cumberland Acoustic bridges get 5 stars from me and my mandos (personal and restorations). Improves volume and tone.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

Joe,

Go for it! But do keep in mind that a lot of it will come down to how well it is fit.

Report back with updates!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I agree with the others -- when I changed my Gibson Sam Bush over to conventional string spacings I ordered an Cumberland ebony bridge with a radius carved into the saddle and fitted it up using a StewMac jig. It is an outstanding bridge -- not much improvement over the original one though because Gibson buys their bridges from Cumberland!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I've heard good things about Cumberland. Randy Wood also makes a great bridge. It's a Gibson style copy with the patent date.
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

C/A THEY ARE GREAT . My the loar 700 has new voice. Also Steve Smith is the best. K.

I replace the Weber bridge with a Cumberland bridge. The difference was apparent. I personally prefer the Cumberland bridge sound. I know others preferring the Weber bridge.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

13. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Have one standard in my Mix, havent changed bridges on my mandolins,

though the replacement of a split upper portion of one was from a fossilized walrus tusk, it's nice

with a similar ring tone (color in this case) looks right on the A4. too.
    Last edited by mandroid; Sep-27-2013 at 6:34pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Jedennis - That's a very interesting point you made re. the CA bridge being less bright on your Weber Fern "A" style. My Weber Fern "F" style is also a bit on the bright side & always has been.I've tempered this by using a pick with a slightly rounded point which does work & takes the edge off the tone,but your observation re.the CA bridge has got me wondering !. I fitted a CA bridge to a mandolin i once owned & the difference was quite obvious,deeper bass,clean trebles & a slight increase in volume.
    I have wondered about putting a CA bridge on my Weber,but my gut instinct to 'keep it all original' keeps fighting back,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I understand the thinking of "keeping it original" - but after several years of being unhappy with the compensation on the original bridge of my Flatiron Master, I had a CA bridge put on it. I'd reached the point where I knew I was keeping that instrument until they buried me, so why not have it set up correctly. When the new bridge was fitted, the luthier suggested I make it full contact as the instrument is X braced. I'm very pleased with the results for this particular instrument.

Based on that experience it was easy to change the original Weber A model Fern bridge out for a CA.

Good luck in making a decision about trying a CA bridge. You can always put the original back on.
    2009 Weber A model Fern
    2011 Collings MT mandola
    1985 Flatiron 2M

You will hear all kinds of pros and cons about this, a lot of mandolins that fall on the inexpensive side do not come with the bridges fitted as well as could be so of course when you fit a CA bridge onto the mandolin you will hear a difference but the better made mandolins that have been properly set up may not have any difference at all...I have tried two CA bridges on two mandolins and didn`t see or hear any difference but those two mandolins were top line instruments and most likely had CA bridges on them from the start...The best way to tell if they are right for your mandolin is to try it and see, there are also some other good bridges out there at less cost but it would take time and money to try a lot of different bridges to see what is right for your ears, I would heed the advice of our noted builders here on this site...

Good luck...willie

From jedennis - "Good luck in making a decision...". Please don't make me do that !!!. The really hard part is deciding if i need to make a decision - Oh cripes !!!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Hi all
    My 2cents worth is. That my weber fern sounded better to my ear with a CA bridge.
    That being said. It was fitted by an expert (Paul Duff). It just came back sounding better.
    Craig

20. The following members say thank you to craig.collas for this post:

Hi All --

So nice to see that we continue to be held in such high regard here on The Cafe! Just a couple of points I thought I should share after reading the above comments...

First, we do (and always have) offered the Patent Stamp as an option on our mandolin bridge bases. It is listed as one of the options on our CA website. Also, and this is relatively new, we now stamp "Cumberland Acoustic" in the relief area of the bridge base, right under the saddle, or top part of the bridge. I put the stamp in a location where you are unlikely to see it when it is on the mandolin, unless there is a lot of room between the base and the saddle, so no need to worry about it affecting the overall look of your mandolin.

This is a modification I had been planning on doing for quite some time. Now that we have so many bridges out there, I wish I had done it years ago. I think there is value in having this sort of ID on our bridges, as it will help mandolin owners know if they already have one of our bridges, so no real need to "upgrade" and it will help us with our customer service, which I consider to be a big part of what we offer.

As an aside, this new "Cumberland Acoustic" stamp is "erasable" if you are a purist, or for some other reason might not want it on your bridge. It doesn't go too deep into the wood, and can easily be filed or sanded away, should that be your preference. Of course, we hope you leave it there!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steevarino For This Useful Post:

Another vote for the CA bridge. I have been using them for almost 10 years, and they definitely improved the sound. Hard to describe in words, but it's like the sound got a little louder, more focused and projecting. Have it properly fit by someone who knows how. (My luthier marveled that CA can make such a nice bridge for such a reasonable price!)

Weber Fern is priority mail to Cumberland Acoustics for a new bridge, my review when it returns.
    best/joe

I had a local pro install a CA on my Eastman 505 earlier this year. As others have stated, it just came back sounding better. Well worth the price of the bridge and pro install, a little over $100 total. Think about it: you pay that money once but enjoy the benefits indefinitely.

I've owned and installed CA and Randy wood bridges and many others. Consistently I have found the CA bridges to be a better choice because Steve has paid attention to the grain orientation of the wood for both the base and the top saddle. He has my business for bridges.
    KMUZ Community Radio
    www.kmuz.org

I am considering getting a Cumberland bridge for my Epiphone MM50E F-style and am curious what the opinions are concerning full-contact bridge vs what came on my Epiphone, which has about a 1.25" contact with the top of the mandolin on either end of the bridge and about a 1.75" arch between those two contact points. Would that be the standard bridge?

The other question I have, which I sent to Cumberlandacoustic yesterday but haven't heard back about -- how do I tell whether my mandolin's top radius is -- would I order a the standard bridge or the 9 5/8 or the 12" radius for my Epiphone.

dhbailey - I can't answer your questions about the amount of contact your bridge has with the top versus what is normal, but your question about the 9 5/8" or 12" radius shouldn't be about the radius of the top. It is referring to the radius of the saddle.

Is your mandolin fretboard flat or is it slightly curved? If it's curved you need to try to match the radius of the curve of the saddle to match that of the fretboard.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I can answer the question about the amount of contact on the average mandolin bridge.
    2009 Weber A model Fern
    2011 Collings MT mandola
    1985 Flatiron 2M

Thank you for the input on the radius issue -- my fretboard is flat so I wouldn't order any radius at all. I'm still new to all this mandolin stuff, even though I've been involved in music practically my whole life (trumpet and other band instruments as well as guitar and recorders).

I appreciate the help -- now to wait for more info on the contact issue.

Thanks!

Weber is finished and online tracking sez it will be here tomorrow.
    Best/joe