Default Re: The Thile Solo Bach Tour - Live, Fall of 2013

Headed to Columbus OH on Oct 14!
    Cindy in WV

1995 Flatiron Cadet
    1950's Strad-O-Lin
    Early 1900's (?) Walter A. Boehm banjo mandolin

Traveling Tracks Traveling Tracks's Avatar

An AT4033 is rather low for these standards...I guess that was the venue's choice.
    I bought one for like $100 used once. Stick to DPA and Schoeps.
    Wonder if Dave Sinko is accompanying Chris on this tour.
    Collings MF

Tonight's show in Portland was excellent. Full house at the Alberta Rose Theater...lots of friendly banter between Chris and the audience. Wonderful mix of styles, original songs and covers, all tastefully woven around the Bach pieces.

I scored tickets for the Ann Arbor mi show for my 9 year old son and my self for $35 total. They have a promotion where they set a few tickets aside for parents and children at a discounted rate, I am pretty excited. The show is one day after his 10th birthday so it should be a pretty good birthday present. He has never expressed any interest in music until he heard Thile's Bach cd.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	107595
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

5. The following members say thank you to carleshicks for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I have my tickets for the Zankel Hall concert in NYC on 10/22. Looking fwd to a great night.
    Jim,
    Wayne and I will see you there
    Marc B.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Yes, the Seattle show was fantastic. I kinda went there on a lark and was expecting to only hear the Bach material. He really mixed it up, which again just cements my notion of the man as a musical genius.

I agree with the other post here in this thread about a photographic (musical) memory. How he can keep all of that material in his memory is mind boggling.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S Sherman View Post
    I'll be at the October show at Saint Rose Massry center in Albany as well.

Justus...we should meet at some point. My wife and I are front row center for this one, so feel free to say "Hi" if you're nearby.

Larry
    Looks like there'll be a few of us at the Massry Center. I just got tix. Row N. The price of procrastinating! ...though I don't think there is a bad seat there.

9. The following members say thank you to Patrick Madden for this post:

My wife just ordered our tickets. We will see him at the Music Center at Strathmore in Rockville, MD on October 30th.
    Happy Birthday to me!!

What an amazing show. I to see mr. Thile last night in Ann Arbor Mi.
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carleshicks View Post
    What an amazing show. I to see mr. Thile last night in Ann Arbor Mi.
    We were at the AA show last night as well. Very enjoyable evening of music and yuks.

What a great room Rackham Auditorium is. Beautiful proportions, great sight lines, comfortable seats (leg room!), nice acoustics.

I only wish Mr. Thile had introduced his Loar to the Michigan audience. Certainly there were many knowledgeable fans of his work in attendance, but my guess is that a good percentage were part of the core UMMS faithful who might risk seeing anything at Rackham (it's that good.) I wonder how many folks were aware of the history/legacy of the company and instruments?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    I only wish Mr. Thile had introduced his Loar to the Michigan audience.
    I'm sure the majority (including myself) would much rather hear him play it than talk about it.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_P View Post
    I'm sure the majority (including myself) would much rather hear him play it than talk about it.
    Why, or perhaps better put, how in the world would you assume such a thing? If it were Yo Yo Ma speaking about his cello, do you think people would be bored? Well, perhaps you might be, as self appointed spokesman for the majority.

No reason in the world why he couldn't do both. Mr. Thile told assuming tales about Bach, his songs, others' songs, about the life of a mandolinist. All with charm and to an appreciative ear. Which didn't seem to distract him from playing his instrument most thoroughly and expertly.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Tuesday is the show at Carnegie Hall! It's downstairs at Zankel Hall, rather than the big room. Punch Brothers sounded fantastic in Zankel a few years back. I've never heard more perfectly transparent amplification than in that room.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Why, or perhaps better put, how in the world would you assume such a thing? If it were Yo Yo Ma speaking about his cello, do you think people would be bored? Well, perhaps you might be, as self appointed spokesman for the majority.
    I think that the people who participate regularly on this website are in the incredibly small minority of people who know or care about the minutiae of instruments - construction and engineers and which ones were signed on what day. If he spoke briefly about the general history of the mandolin and it's place in this kind of music, I could see that being interesting. I stand by my original comment - very few people would have cared about the history of Gibson and Lloyd Loar and how his particular instrument came into being.

17. The following members say thank you to Ken_P for this post:

55bar 

All this talk of chris having a photographic memory is rather annoying, the guy is an obsessive practicer he's been playing the Bach for many many years, just listen to any bootlegs from when he was a teenager.

The point here is that he plays the stuff with a beautiful intensity and moves people, if you are thrilled by feats of memory go buy a tony Buzan book.

Learn something correctly and it sticks.

My nephew and a friend of his who plays a little mandolin were blown away in Evanston, IL. I had been expecting this concert to be the best concert and/or performance I had seen in a few years and for a few years to come, what with the solo Loar for a couple of hours with it's best performer in a great listening forum. Instead, I gave a eulogy a hundred miles away and spent time with my best friend's family for a few days. I hear the performance met all of my expectations. Maybe your reviews will convince me to take a plane somewhere. Then again, the release is labeled vol.1. Always a good sign.

Attendance was high in Evanston, or so I'm told. A great thing for mandos.
    I saw Homer & Jethro once. This mandolin therapy isn't helping me get over it.

'04 Andersen A (for keeps)
    Amateur Gibson F copy (for travel)
    Santa Rosa student model A (for the neighbor kids)

I just got tickets for the October 29th performance at memorial hall on the UNC campus in Chapel Hill NC. It is a great venue and the acoustics are quite good as it was designed with recitals in mind.

Bach...Solo mandolin....Yawn...
    -Robert T. -

Quote Originally Posted by roberto216 View Post
    Here we go...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by roberto216 View Post
    It is anything but a yawn and definitely not all Bach. If you want to see an artist (from whatever genre or medium) in top form...let's just say its a unique & very entertaining time well spent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_P View Post
    I think that the people who participate regularly on this website are in the incredibly small minority of people who know or care about the minutiae of instruments - construction and engineers and which ones were signed on what day. If he spoke briefly about the general history of the mandolin and it's place in this kind of music, I could see that being interesting. I stand by my original comment - very few people would have cared about the history of Gibson and Lloyd Loar and how his particular instrument came into being.
    As a percentage of the general music going public sure, and as a percentage of musicians sure, but as a percentage of mandolin playing enthusiasts, I am not sure the percentage is insignificant.

I mean, mandolin players are a incredibly small minority of all the musicians, and folks who play anything are in the minority to begin with.

A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    As a percentage of the general music going public sure, and as a percentage of musicians sure, but as a percentage of mandolin playing enthusiasts, I am not sure the percentage is insignificant.
    That's precisely my point. No performer can cater exclusively to the desires of enthusiasts - he/she has to appeal to a relatively broad audience, provided they have some interest or potential interest in the music to start with. Talking shop will just turn most of those people off.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Hill View Post
    It is anything but a yawn and definitely not all Bach. If you want to see an artist (from whatever genre or medium) in top form...let's just say its a unique & very entertaining time well spent.
    Yup-- if you'll put your skepticism aside you can see Thile this coming Sunday 10/27 in Albany, not all that far from Valatie.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I agree with John Hill.........I caught Chris' "Bachtoberfest" tour in Portland a few weeks ago & it was fantastic........he played the whole new CD BUT he threw in some wonderful bluegrass & a few other tunes to break up the Bach...........AND............he played one of his Loars.........what an amazing sound.........I had yet to hear a Loar up close & personal & scoffed (privately in the deepest recesses of my mind) that his Loar could not be that much different in sound than my The Loar ()............man 'o man was I wrong.........I have a greater appreciation for the hype & all of the lore about the Loar........:-)
    Peace,
    Jim Ferguson

Kentucky KM1000

~Give Blood-Play Hockey

I don't have any skepticism. I'm not interested in solo Bach by anyone. BTW - I have seen Chris Thile twice before. Once with the Punch Brothers (again not my thing) and once with Michael Daves at Greyfox where they were.....awesome!
    -Robert T. -