Thread: Mandolin classifieds response from "Evans"?

Default Mandolin classifieds response from "Evans"?

Has anyone else had a text from Evans about your classified ad?
    He mentioned the mandolin by name, but with the always suspicious "give me your final price" in the inquiry.
    Do all other countries but USA use "final price" for "lowest price"? Or is it just scammer talk?
    Any others here had a text from him?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin classifieds response from "Evans"?

Final asking price
    Final price
    With the final asking price
    Last asking price

All common terms several people trying to hit us use looking for a really low level game of fraud. I hadn't heard they're texting now but am not surprised. And people wonder why we remove openly posted emails in the Classifieds.

You should not be communicating with people trying to text you about ads unless the two of you have discussed that as an acceptable method of communicating. There is a good reason why we tell people to use the Reply To feature and that's because anyone using that (as well as placing ads) has already been or is about to be evaluated if they're a first-time user. They're doing this to try to get around our system because they know if they do there are people that are unable to detect a scam.

I have had some CL dealings where they try to convince you they are deaf and will only respond to text messages. What made it even more amusing was the ad was for a banjo. I am not sure if the banjo playing caused the hearing loss.

I have a standards response for these guys " Hey scammer get a job and stop playing with your <removed, violates forum posting guidelines>"
    I have never received a response they just go away.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Oct-01-2013 at 1:01pm. Reason: political content violates forum posting guidelines

Thanks.
    I don't respond to any email or text with the words "I want to buy your item" or "final price", but because this one did pick up the exact name of the instrument, and had a familiar name (does Evan Marshall really want to buy my mandolin?) I wanted to check it out.
    You know, you can google the telephone number and it usually returns a pretty good indicator that it is a marketing phone, or scammer.