Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I told you so! Jackson is after those IBMA awards!

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: I told you so! Jackson is after those IBMA awards!

Quote Originally Posted by shawnbrock View Post
    You're completely wrong about one part of your statement. He won't have to go after the IBMA awards, they are already creaming to give them to him. He don't have to do any touring, he'll get them anyhow....
    And I'm irritated? or even worse cynical?

Hmmm...this will be interesting on how it plays out, if you find this kind of thing interesting that is!...

Late!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

You do have a point in that if a small town Georgia boy were to cut a record with the same fellows......and appear under the moniker of Billy Bob Johnson would he meet with success.....unlikely....I just did an internet search and the "third estate" fellows are just falling all over themselves about this album.....just like Dolly......just like The Trio......a throw back to a more simple time as one of them said.......horse pucky....but hey it's all good if George Clooney can mouth the words and bluegrass gets a shot in the pant then great.....

Strikes me like the "Do It For Bill" T shirts.......do what for Bill......really.... the $ the $ the $....he may be having fun doing it but someone is going to make the $'s ......it makes the world go round...

3. The following members say thank you to Gary Hedrick for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

It's all good Gary!

I look at this thing like a Johnny Cash Bluegrass Album. Johnny Cash apparently had jams at his pad that Bill Monroe attended; they even hung out together going to horse races and such. So Johhny comes out with a "Bluegrass" album featuring Mr. Monroe Kenny Baker, Earl Scruggs, Jimmy Martin, etc.

Would I mind? Heck no!

But you couldn't get me to take Johnny Cash seriously as a bluegrass artist either...and certainly not deserving of Bluegrass Artist or Album of the year by the IBMA...maybe the Grammy folks cause they always muck it up anyway, but not the IBMA.

Just my 2 cents...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

AJ is recording an album of music by Tibetan Monks ? Surely he's only doing it to win the Silver Chime next fall .

6. The following members say thank you to roysboy for this post:

I see some of you think this AJ Bluegrass Award thing is all a joke. For those of you who know me know I don't joke when it comes to all things Bluegrass. Where I am getting my suspect about this AJ Bluegrass train to Raleigh is pretty simple to figure out. A few years back AJ came out with an all gospel album. Even had an hour TV special on it that ran continue on CMT for a year. AJ told everyone he only did it for his mother who loved these gospel songs so the album was dedicated to her. It didn't get squat on Country Radio play yet it landed him 4 top awards in the Gospel Music genre including the coveted "Dove" award. AJ doesn't joke around either when it comes to his career. From his official website he says this about his new venture into all things bluegrass: "Jackson says he wanted to make an album that didn’t disappoint the bluegrass world. “I didn’t want them to think I was just another country act wanting to make a bluegrass album. I wanted it to be as true as I knew how to make it—to be something I could be proud of.” And where the rubber meets the road—with the soulful, genuine, dyed-in-the-wool music of The Bluegrass Album—he’s done exactly that. - See more at: http://www.alanjackson.com/about.htm....qDbiusWO.dpuf
    I could be wrong about this but not according to AJ's past track record. If he is after the IBMA awards he will take no prisoners on his way to the red carpet in Raleigh to accept his top awards. I really don't care one way or the other as he is not knocking me out of an award. It's Del McCoury, Doyle Lawson, Vincent & Dailey , Grasscals, Rhonda Vincent, James King Band, Karl Shifflet, David Petterson, Ricky Skaggs, Darrell Webb, Nashville Bluegrass Band, Cedar Hill, Peter Rowan, Bobby Osborne, Jesse McReynolds, Boxcars, Ronnie Reno and all the other real bluegrass artists that stay with it day after day, year after year, mile after mile that I feel for.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Oh it is likely no joke......marketing....name recognition....and star power as was said earlier....will make the powers that be all gushy and happy faced......if he pursues it further than the album it will likely happen

and I too have read the reviews but haven't plunked down my money but it sounds like he has recorded the real deal....

I will pay for McCoury....Skaggs....etc not likely Alan....but my wife has a ton of his country cd's!!!

Gary, I'm on the fence about actually buying this CD. He only does 2 songs I know as real "bluegrass", the Dillards, "There Is A Time" and Monroe's "Blue Moon of KY" and from what I heard of Blue Moon he mucks it up by thanking the band in the middle of the song like he is doing a live stage show on a studio recording. Kinda odd even for Jackson. The other songs I gather are written for Jackson to sing in the "bluegrass" style by his dozens of Nashville songwriters. If I want to hear a bluegrass song about a Blue Ridge Mountain home, I'll stick with Flatt&Scruggs and the Stanleys. Which to mean translates into giving it a one time listen and file it with my David Lee Roth bluegrass CD never to be heard by me again. Maxwell Jump!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

I really don't care for Alan Jackson's music in the first place, but at the end of the day, we're arguing about whether or not a person gets his name read off on a glowing rectangle and gets a clear plastic obelisk glued to a wooden block with his name on it. Worse things can happen than a person becoming interested in a different genre than the one that they're normally associated with, like a thread creating grandiose conspiracies about a person becoming interested in a different genre than the one that they're normally associated with.

That, and the whole "REAL and TRUE" bluegrass drivel gets old really quickly...

--Tom
    Last edited by Tom Coletti; Oct-03-2013 at 12:30am.

UPDATE: I've just returned from iTunes, having listened to the 90-second previews of each track, and here's what I have to say about it:

It doesn't really matter if he's doing this because he can make another eleven dollars in revenue, it doesn't really matter if he's commandeering festival shows and award shows alike. Alan Jackson's Bluegrass Album is, upon first impression and at risk of being the victim of the next bluegrass murder ballad, a good album. Great vocals and harmonies, great yet subtle licks by well-renowned players like Rob Ickes, and at a somewhat laid-back and easy-going pace that can be enjoyed casually rather than at a brisk sprint out of an exploding building.

Even if the round of "special thanks" seemed out of place in the middle of Blue Moon and could have waited until the end, it didn't affect my interest in everything before it, and it shows that he is, contrary to public belief here, an actual person and not a clear-plastic-obelisk hoarding phony. He found the right people, did his homework, and got the general feel of bluegrass instrumentation down along with some nice harmonies, and while his country background does seep through the percussive chops and the forward rolls and the growly slides every now and then, it's just a reminder that he is still a country artist in his roots, but now a country artist who has taken a promising first step into the bluegrass world.

Some may find the album to be "too safe" or "too generic" or "too clean" or, quite simply, "any quality that you may not like or expect in this genre of music due to your prior exposure to other artists that you may prefer," but it's not overtly objectionable or just a country album without drums or whatever else people may have thought this album to be. I actually quite like it, and if he wants to continue this with either the album's players or a new batch of bluegrass musicians, then I'm all for it.

--Tom
    Last edited by Tom Coletti; Oct-03-2013 at 1:33am.

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Gary, I'm on the fence about actually buying this CD. He only does 2 songs I know as real "bluegrass", the Dillards, "There Is A Time" and Monroe's "Blue Moon of KY" and from what I heard of Blue Moon he mucks it up by thanking the band in the middle of the song like he is doing a live stage show on a studio recording. Kinda odd even for Jackson. The other songs I gather are written for Jackson to sing in the "bluegrass" style by his dozens of Nashville songwriters. If I want to hear a bluegrass song about a Blue Ridge Mountain home, I'll stick with Flatt&Scruggs and the Stanleys. Which to mean translates into giving it a one time listen and file it with my David Lee Roth bluegrass CD never to be heard by me again. Maxwell Jump!
    Actually, AJ didn't use "dozens of Nashville songwriters". He wrote most of the songs on the album himself. From what I've read since this thread started it appears that he really loves writing his own songs (and with all of his hits over the years he seems to be VERY good at it). In fact his first job in Nashville was as a songwriter. He did that for 3 years before he got to record an album of his own.

I am dreading hearing what you mention about "Blue Moon of KY" but I will still be picking up this album, if only to hear the backup band and see what all the hubub is about with Mr. Jackson's attempt at BG.
    Last edited by padawan; Oct-03-2013 at 2:58am.
    My GFs: Collings MF, Mandobird VIII, Mando-Strat, soprano & baritone ukuleles tuned to GDAE and a Martin X1-DE Guitar.

I really don't care one way or the other as he is not knocking me out of an award. It's Del McCoury, Doyle Lawson, Vincent & Dailey , Grasscals, Rhonda Vincent, James King Band, Karl Shifflet, David Petterson, Ricky Skaggs, Darrell Webb, Nashville Bluegrass Band, Cedar Hill, Peter Rowan, Bobby Osborne, Jesse McReynolds, Boxcars, Ronnie Reno and all the other real bluegrass artists that stay with it day after day, year after year, mile after mile that I feel for.
    Exactly.

To put it in another context:
    The new Del McCoury Band album came out sept 17th and has been rated by 7 people in the iTunes store.
    AJ's album came out Sept 24th and has been rated by 147 people.

Funny thing is both ratings are for over 4 1/2 stars... If IBMA wants to sell out even more and go for the popular act, keep following the money, and leave tradition out in the cold then so be it. But watch out, f5loar is onto you!
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dang For This Useful Post:

Too wise.

I too say 'Go for it, AJ'. But, there is only one award. The Doyles, Dels, etc. surely are more deserving.

And to hear that AJ thanks the band...on a recording...well, I don't know what to say here.

jeebus...this almost feels so purist that it borders on obsessive. While I might understand if someone like Dirks Bentley or Jason Aldean suddenly went on some big BG push...AJ is by far about as close to traditional country as many in the industry. I thought that was the beauty of music, it drew people to it...to explore what could be done with it.

One of my all time favorite singers/songwriters/musicians was Dan Fogelberg...he put out a BG themed album in 1985 and had the likes of Grisman, Doc Watson, Skaggs, Jim Buchanan, Vince Gill, Charlie McCoy, Al Perkins, Chris Hillman...etc. playing on it and it was not traditional but had some great music and playing on it. I guess all those guys are just heathens now for playing on an album like that.

I just dont get this fear that Jackson might actually be successful in this project.

I've got wide open ears, and when it comes to bluegrass, I like it pure as mother's milk. Not to say it has to be all F&S, Monroe...not at all. But it needs to be true.

I recall the Seldom Scene, when they hooked up with Jonathan Edwards. He surely boosted their rep, into outside the bluegrass world, and one or two tunes on that album were good. But, for me, it got old.

Yeah, I want to follow up on my comments so they are maybe a bit more in perspective. I have a huge amount of respect for the posters on this board, especially those with the long history in bluegrass and on this fine instrument. I love this place because I feel I learn something every time I come here, including from f5loar. It's clear he has forgotten more than I will probably take in going forward.

However I am not sure I understand the definition of what makes someone eligible to perform bluegrass on stage, because that is what this discussion seems to feel like. I think anyone who brings more people into the bluegrass genre while trying to stay true to the music itself is a huge thing. Again, its not like Daft Punk is sampling Monroe or Scruggs and leeching off that to sell music in another genre.

Just confused by all this I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lackey View Post
    However I am not sure I understand the definition of what makes someone eligible to perform bluegrass on stage, because that is what this discussion seems to feel like. I think anyone who brings more people into the bluegrass genre while trying to stay true to the music itself is a huge thing.
    I'm betting that the main point of objection to AJ's entry into bluegrass can be summed up in the following sentence:

"He hasn't paid his dues."

Lots and lots of other fine artists are in the process of paying their dues in this genre, trying to build names for themselves. It's a bit of a slap in the face to them for someone like Alan Jackson to come strolling in with his celebrity status and take the spotlight off of all of them. Even if AJ's bluegrass project ends up being good for everyone in the end, it's still a bitter pill for many of the up-and-coming artists to swallow. I can certainly see why these smaller-name artists (and those who support them) would object to AJ crashing in and stealing their thunder, so to speak. He simply hasn't earned it in the bluegrass world yet, but he's going to get all the attention he wants based on his other successes.

But I can also see AJ's side. The man likes gospel and bluegrass, and wants to be involved in music that's a little more "true" than the modern C&W industry. But how can he possibly make that crossover without accidentally stepping on other peoples' toes? Should he have an obligation to NOT perform a style of music that he likes, just for fear of upsetting others? Personally, from what I've read, I think he has taken a measured approach to it by enlisting several bluegrass insiders to be involved in his project. At least that way he is trying to come into it with some guidance. But he would do very well to stay humble in this transition.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

Hopefully come awards time, those issues will not be the overriding factor in who wins, until then we are just arguing about something that is pure speculation. In the meantime I suggest we welcome AJ to the genre and appreciate what he can bring to it. I suspect just his name on the Merlefest bill will bring many, many people who otherwise not hear the fine music there.
    Interestingly, to my knowledge there was no outcry amongst country music fans when Darius Rucker made the switch from "Hootie" to just plain ol' Darius, and more recently when Sheryl Crow announced she was pursuing country music. Darius has won many awards since the switch, but it's not because of his reputation, it's because of his talent and work.

The qualifications for being somehow legitimate in becoming a respectable bluegrass musician seem more loopholed and contorted than voting poll "literacy tests"... "paying one's dues" can be interpreted as "not having already been a bluegrass player since before we were born" or "not being raised in some part of a country under certain living conditions" in an almost xenophobic way, essentially shutting out anyone that people just don't want to hear. "Real and true" is then used as a snobbish measure of how much of a carbon copy are you of everything that has already happened, and the "everyone should be encouraged to play bluegrass, because if you play bluegrass, you can play anything" claim is really a cover for "anyone can play bluegrass except for the people that we deem unworthy" because they fail the "real and true" test or some other nonsense. I really want to believe that bluegrass is an encouraging and accepting genre of allowing people to follow tradition if they want to or do their own thing if they want to, but it comes off as so stubborn, closed-minded, fearful and neophobic that I sometimes get genuinely concerned for its future.

--Tom
    Last edited by Tom Coletti; Oct-03-2013 at 9:43am.

25. The following members say thank you to Tom Coletti for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    I wouldn't say it is that he hasn't paid his dues. More like:

"Don't apply some formula to an already successful act with a HUGE following and think that makes you 'the best' in an adjacent genre."

In a way all of bluegrass wins with more exposure to the larger audience, and in a way something is lost in that great homogenizer that is pop culture.
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

27. The following members say thank you to dang for this post:

Now this is the posting that really hits home to me......Nicely said....nicely said indeed!!!

you are from the Alan Hopkins school of well thought out postings!

29. The following members say thank you to Gary Hedrick for this post:

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Well, let's send him a bill!

Now I really want to hear this recording - thanks for the heads-up!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Oh he has paid his dues............. IBMA dues that is. You have to be an IBMA member to be nominated. Welcome to IBMA Mr. Jackson!
    The names of people who have done this would be along list. One mentioned Dirks Bentley. He's already been there, done that and didn't create a ruckus. No Bluegrass Festival gigs. Just a one time bluegrass album that gets minor radio play on Bluegrass Sirius and a gig or two in Nashville at the Station Inn. Some say he even comes by there to see other acts in bluegrass. Oh and his picture on the cover of BU which is not quite the same as on the cover of Rolling Stone. But putting Dirks up against Alan Jackson is like putting Paul McCartney up against Herman's Hermits (both of which are still touring). The mention of the reviews on ITunes of Del and Alan is what it boils down to, a popularity contest and the winner is the one with the most votes. I saw on Facebook from my good ole pickin' buddy, ex JDCrowe guy Tony King that he is upset about the AJ bluegrass album reviews not mention two other guys in the band that are not bluegrass guys but country guys that helped out just as much on the project. And speaking of the title "Bluegrass Album" really? Why not add the "Band" name to it and really stir up the die-hards! AJ's producers couldn't come up with something anymore original than that?

32. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

I have a copy of the AJ album. I've been listening for about a week. Its as "bluegrass" (whatever that is) as anything I have, and I have a bunch all the way back to the JD Crowe and the New South landmark album and beyond. Is it my favorite bluegrass album of all time.. no, but its a fun listen, for me at least. Adam's mandolin is worth the price of the album. As far as paying dues, AJ didn't do the album by himself. If he gets an award nod then (to some debatable extent) so do Adam, Rob, Ronnie, Tim, Don et. al. I think those guys have paid a few.

34. The following members say thank you to Mandosummers for this post:

Comparing Del and AJ on Itunes reviews is apples to oranges. I'd bet AJ will have a 50 or 100:1 ratio of views on Itunes, simply because he has a fan base of "a BAZILLION" as mentioned earlier. Itunes comments only reflect two things, 1) how many people visit the page to listen to the music, and 2) how they like it. It is very clear from the popularity meters on each individual track how it is resonating with listeners, I don't believe I've ever seen another album with each song so highly rated. The comments are uniformly extremely positive and supportive.

I don't see this translating to an IBMA award, and as mentioned, I doubt he cares much. The point is that people seem to like the more traditional sound of bluegrass/traditional country, and I think that's a good thing for everyone involved. Maybe a few of those newcomers he's dragging to Merlefest will start listening to Del, LRB etc.

36. The following members say thank you to randygwatkins for this post:

I saw on Facebook from my good ole pickin' buddy, ex JDCrowe guy Tony King that he is upset about the AJ bluegrass album reviews not mention two other guys in the band that are not bluegrass guys but country guys that helped out just as much on the project.
    So a person on the internet read a post by another person on the internet expressing his contempt for other people on the internet expressing their opinions on an album... Might be a bit more efficient and a bit less biased to just listen to album directly and decide objectively if you like it or not.

The mention of the reviews on ITunes of Del and Alan is what it boils down to, a popularity contest and the winner is the one with the most votes.
    iTunes ratings are in fact somewhat unrelated in the matter. People who listen to more popular music more frequently tend to be more active in their iTunes accounts and therefore more likely to use the rating and review systems as well as other additional features. The difference in number of ratings could be influenced by traffic, but more likely by the demographic, and since they both received good reviews, regardless of quantity, then we can assume that they were both well-received albums. If the IBMA does come down to a popularity contest, then it wouldn't be any different than any other music award ceremony. Bluegrass isn't exempt from the detriments of the modern entertainment industry.

And speaking of the title "Bluegrass Album" really? Why not add the "Band" name to it and really stir up the die-hards! AJ's producers couldn't come up with something anymore original than that?
    This is just petty... Considering that he primarily had and still has a huge country following, if the album was under any other title, his regular listeners who didn't know the background of the project before it came out may have been surprised as to why this sounded so different from his other albums, both instrumentally and rhythmically. This could be a good title to give it, actually. A great one. Make the album title a clear advertisement for the bluegrass name, and sooner or later some of his fans will look up 'bluegrass" to see what other results pop up, and before you know it, they may very well be searching through the material that you claim has so much more merit. "The Bluegrass Album" is a functional title. That's it.

And how do you know that his producers chose the name and not him? It has already been suggested that he tends to be much more involved personally in his work than other popular artists, so he could have chosen that name himself for the aforementioned reason above: letting his fans know that this is off of his beaten path and into another genre.

For anyone reading this thread who has yet to hear anything off of the album directly, here you go:

--Tom