Thread: mandobird part.. help!

Default mandobird part.. help!

Was just changing strings for the 1st time on my newly aquired 4 string mandobird and the chrome grommet that holds the g strings ball end in place on the back of the mando flew out and went down a crack between the wall and foundation of my shop..I saw it go but it's seems to have gone away forever.Anybody have one of these or know where I can locate one? Called gibson,they weren't any help also left a message at emando..Just putting out the feelers incase someone has a rogue in a drawer somewhere,glad to pay the price for it-it's not much good without it..Doggone it I was just really getting into playing this thing.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

Default Re: mandobird part.. help!

Is it similar to a Tele ferrel?

Post a photo of one that's still in place. How many folks do you really think have a mandibird at hand to jump into this discussion?

Now that we've both calmed down, in all probability, you will have to spring for a set of 6 guitar ferrules for about $3.00 from China, or $20 stateside. Just installed a set on the back of my mandocaster. They measure 1/4 inch in OD, require a bit 1/64 smaller to enable you to tap them in with a rubber mallet or wooden backing stick. You might want to change them all out to look consistent, and use a drop of glue to keep the same disaster from happening next time you change strings.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I knew it was a shot in the dark..Guitar center has been very helpful in contacting gibson to see if they have any originals left.They'll be getting back to me tommorrow. Thanks to the friends who posted above,looks like an easy swap out with some new ones. Need to get this fixed,i've got to play a show with this thing on the 26th!
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

If you have no satisfaction from the above and desperately need a fix right now, you can run down to Lowe's, Home Depot or Ace and rummage thru the smallest washers thay have to get you through the gig. Less elegant, but will work. Put a small piece of green masking tape over the back to not ruin your shirt.

I found something that works in the interim, a tee shaped sleeve that fits right in there with no alteration of the hole (I still want to get something correct though). The ball end sticks out the back a little but it works fine.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

These are all good suggestions for replacements, but have you tried a really strong magnet to try to retrieve the original? I have a magnet that I call "The Finder", and it's retrieved a good many small metal parts for me. Be careful, though. Strong magnets are nothing to treat lightly; they can be quite dangerous if handled casually.

Good luck!

NFI on the link.
    Think globally, bike locally.