Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best smartphone tuner app for mandolin?

Default Re: Best smartphone tuner app for mandolin?

A week ago, I discovered a tuner apps called gString (for Android), that is FREE and works great, even for piano (meaning it can handle the piano range). This was downloaded when I had a piano tech tuning my piano using a "pro" software. Once I showed him gString on my tablet, he found that it was as accurate as his "pro" software.
    I understand piano should not be tuned exactly per tuner apps, but that a good starting point, followed by minor tweaks using ears.

Peterson's iStroboSoft for Android and Apple IOS is the best; and over time I have tried at least 2/3 of the IOS tuners. While it has been the the best of the apps in accuracy, I deferred to my hardware Peterson when I had it with me to apply its sweetened tuning settings. But now the sweetened tunings are a purchase option within the app.

This tuner app provides 1/10 of a cent accuracy (many of the hardware clip ons have a +\- 1 cent tolerance or worse) The latest iStroboSoft (9/2014) upgrade allows (optional)'availability of "sweetener" tuning settings which allows for tuning compensations for particular instruments. No bluegrass instrument has perfect intonation over the complete fretboard, it's always a compromise. In my view the "sweetened tuned" is a difference you can hear. Before now, you had to buy Peterson's hardware tuners to get sweetened settings (I have the Peterson StroboPlus HD that allows me to connect it to my computer to enter personal presets. For example I entered James Taylor's tuning offset - check YouTube- and found JT's to be almost identical to Peterson's proprietary sweetened acoustic guitar tuning. But most of us carry a phone so having the app is so convenient.)

Of interest here is the bluegrass instrument bundle for $5.99 for those who have purchased the iPhone version (I use this iPhone version on my iPad too.). Included are sweetened settings Mandolin, acoustic Gtr (capo compensation), fiddle, banjo, dobro.

Others have confirmed that Peterson offers attachments for IOS devices so you are not dependent on the device mic.

I see that they also have a harmonics upgrade too, that could be useful for hammered instruments and those that build and repair instruments. Have not tried that option since I have my hardware version.

Honestly, the sweetened tuning is more noticeable with guitars than mandolin, but I can hear improvement on my mandolin and tenor uke when playing chords as compared to "" tuning. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    This tuner app provides 1/10 of a cent accuracy (many of the hardware clip ons have a +\- 1 cent tolerance or worse) .
    I've been using this app too and have to admit my guitars sound better when I use the Peterson app on my I-pad than when I use a clip on Snark. I only wish my mandolin with the Golden Age tuning machines were smooth enough to take advantage of the finer calibration capability of the Peterson app....

Cleartune is also available for Android.

<membership privileges for this account have been permanently removed.>
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Dec-14-2014 at 9:59pm.

I really like free n-Track Tuner

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Poly tune is great too.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;