Thread: thanks Bill

Default thanks Bill

I spent the weekend working on Evening Prayer Blues. I slowed down the Monroe recording and worked on it carefully. It was a good time and I love the tune. Every time I really dig into a Monroe recording I have more respect and appreciation for Bill's playing.

Like some on the cafe, when I first started I thought Bill was a little sloppy or old fashioned. But I really feel that everything in his playing is deliberate and the old fashioned sound he achieves is what he was going for. Evening Prayer Blues in particular made me realize the power of combining all downstroke playing with tremolo. Lot's of good slurs and nice use of open strings. good stuff.

I really appreciate also the era in which we live in where it is so easy to pull a recording into a computer program where it can be slowed down and listened to with such detail. It's a great way to learn and a way to feel close to musicians who are long gone. Rest in peace Bill.

Anyway, happy Monday.
    Marc

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Marc Katz For This Useful Post:

Default Re: thanks Bill

Hey Marc, good to see you up here on the cafe. You are absolutely correct about Monroe. At first it is hard to see what as the fuss is about, but when you look and listen closer you will find that he was truly an American music treasure.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Julin For This Useful Post:

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julin View Post
    Hey Marc, good to see you up here on the cafe. You are absolutely correct about Monroe. At first it is hard to see what as the fuss is about, but when you look and listen closer you will find that he was truly an American music treasure.
    Yep! I felt that way about Charlie Parker too. Just seemed like a lot of notes to me, at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Katz View Post
    ...when I first started I thought Bill was a little sloppy or old fashioned.
    With the masters, there's much subtlety in their "time" (rhythm) especially--more than what "meets the eye"; it's more a matter of the heart

Blog Entries

Totally. That is a very tricky, challenging piece. Definitely much, much more to it than first meets the eye. It - like much of Monroe's stuff - it quite deceptive. One you 'drill down' right into it, there is a lot there. Often, you only realise that when you start to work it up!
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I totally agree about Monroe's picking. Its like the Masterpiece that you don't appreciate until you really get into it. I most love how he used the notes he played to express a feeling or an emotion and at the same time imply the melody. It sounds easy to play but it ain't.

I was at Herschel Sizemore's house last Saturday and we talked some about Monroe. They were friends. Herschell said that Bill played what he was hearing in his head and his heart. Herschell will also tell you that he didn't play like Bill because he just could not do it. He tried. He just did not hear the music the same way Bill did. Herschell went on to develop his own style and distinguished himself by playing what Herschell was hearing inside his head. It was a really kinda cool to consider the genius of both those men who were just trying to pick tunes like they were hearing them. Of course many musical influences shape the way we hear and play music. I guess thats why music evolves and we continue to hear different sounds, styles, and emotion even though through the ages the music is played on the same instruments. Is kind of a philosophical or aesthetic thing to consider and fun to think about when you're not playing music.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

10. The following members say thank you to goose 2 for this post:

Marc - I listened to EPB a couple of days ago. I too love the tune & i thought maybe i'll try it out,but when you listen to what is on the face of it, a 'simple' tune,it's got more twists & turns in it than a switchback !.
    Goose 2 - You are one lucky guy,Herschel's been one of my greatest inspirations since i came to mandolin 9 years ago.He says on his DVD,that he didn't have the wrist power to play like Bill Monroe,so he developed Bill's 'other' style,what Bill called his 'fiddle style',which he did in such an awesome manner.
    Almeria - You're very right in what you say about much of Bill Monroe's playing.You can get the bare bones of one of his tunes down fairly quickly,then,when you go back & listen to it in a more 'educated' manner,you realise that there's a shed load more to it. Learning all the 'nuances' to his tunes is a whole new thing in itself,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

[QUOTE=goose 2;1213464
    Herschell said that Bill played what he was hearing in his head and his heart. Herschell will also tell you that he didn't play like Bill because he just could not do it. He tried. He just did not hear the music the same way Bill did. [/QUOTE]e

Quote of the century

Herschel Sizemore is my favorite of the two, both such tremendous talents.