Thread: Need some Comments and Criticism

Default Need some Comments and Criticism

The following link is a link to a quick (very, VERY, rough) little recording i made doing some Bach and messin around with some improv. I'd aprpeciate if y'all could give it a listen and critique it and comment on my tone and what-not. I'd just like to see where I'm at where I am at with my tone quality. Thanks! All comments welcome!

https://soundcloud.com/gustavreckoner/mandolin-test

Default Re: Need some Comments and Criticism

FOA.........nicely done. I admire anyone who tackles the classical pieces on the mando.........I just attended Chris Thile's "Bachtoberfest" concert here in Portland & it was FANTASTIC...........keep up the great work.
    Peace,
    Jim Ferguson

Kentucky KM1000

~Give Blood-Play Hockey

Jim i'm jealous of you! And thanks for the nice comment.

Very good job with tone production. I liked it. Keep up the good picking!

I can't say I am qualified to comment on how well you are playing the Bach, beyond appreciating it and saying that you seem to have good balance of tone from high to low strings. I heard a lot of clicking that is probably pick related. Possibly tapping on the fretboard extension while playing? That extension is the only feature I will replace if I ever upgrade from my trusty old Flatiron F. never liked the look of a scooped out extension.

Nice playing, however, the "pick click" is distracting. It is a very nice sounding mandolin.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Nice playing, however, the "pick click" is distracting. It is a very nice sounding mandolin.
    Yea the pick clack is the most irritating thing to deal with when recording soft and more fragile playing.

Pick noise might also result from too close mic-ing. In terms of practicing, you might want to work on a Bach piece and work with am metronome. There can be slowing and speeding up for effect but not just because there is a more difficult phrase. in any case, certainly the recording is a good start.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Sounds like you are picking very quietly, which may be why the other noises sound so loud. How about doing it with more balls? Also, some tuning issues - an easy fix. Sounds good, though, don't get me wrong.

playing sounds real good .... mandolin sounds real thin to my ear ....(.could be your recorder ...dunno )....and ,as a few other folks have noted, I find the pick click extremely distracting .

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Sounds like you are picking very quietly, which may be why the other noises sound so loud. How about doing it with more balls? Also, some tuning issues - an easy fix. Sounds good, though, don't get me wrong.
    Yea i've always tended to play extremely quietly. maybe to get a softer, less twangy tone? i don't know, but i'll definitely work on it.

FadeOutAgain -

Of course, I heard the "pick click", one of the details you can reduce and/or eliminate with conscious effort and practice.

I liked your tremolo and the double stops I heard.

Keep up the good work.

Enjoy,
    Lee

Thanks for the constructive criticism!

very nice. Did you learn that from one of the Bach Mandolin books? If so which one?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by FadeOutAgain View Post
    Thanks for the constructive criticism!
    Nicely done. I enjoying the song, but not the percussion.

You might want to try a different pick. I had one that made that kind of noise when I played so I ditched it and bought a few other brands/styles to try. Huge difference (for me at least).
    My GFs: Collings MF, Mandobird VIII, Mando-Strat, soprano & baritone ukuleles tuned to GDAE and a Martin X1-DE Guitar.

It's quite nice. I hear a slight hesitation in the attack perhaps. But mostly I hear way too much pick-hitting-the-fretboard noise, especially in the first part of the track. I don't know what kind of mandolin you're playing. If it's an F-5 it probably doesn't suit your style so much anyway - they have the extended fret boards and are mostly used in bluegrass. There are ways to deal with that if you want to modify your instrument. Maybe you could pick just a little further south?

The essence of your playing is lovely however.

Mandoenvy,

Just google IMSLP and from there you can find all the Bach any mandolin player needs. (Scored for violin, though)

BTW the Bach piece that i laughably attempted was the courante from the 1st Cello Suite.

Quote Originally Posted by padawan View Post
    Nicely done. I enjoying the song, but not the percussion.

You might want to try a different pick. I had one that made that kind of noise when I played so I ditched it and bought a few other brands/styles to try. Huge difference (for me at least).
    What brands and styles, exactly?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Wouldn't that kind of hurt?
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Ione CA in the beautiful gold country east of Sactown

Hey! Get a haircut and when did you buy those pants? Bell bottoms??? Your shoes are all scuffed up! Your room is a mess! Who left those potato chips all over the couch? Ya want to wash up in the kitchen after you make those frozen burritos?

How's that?

Oh.. the recording? Really nice. Keep up the good work and I bet in no time you'll be putting out some even tastier stuff. You got it, now go get it! (And stand up straight!) :- )

Quote Originally Posted by FadeOutAgain View Post
    What brands and styles, exactly?
    I don't remember what the noisy pick was (I tossed it and didn't look back) but I can tell you the ones that I currently like best, and why ...maybe.

Dunlop Tortex and Dunlop Ultex picks are, so far, my favorite inexpensive picks. I like the 1.4mm size of both. They have a very slightly rough texture which I think contributes to their lack of noise on the strings. I've found that the shiny picks are more likely to click on the strings (with my picking style at least).
    Ultex 1.4 - Tortex 1.4

I also have an assortment of Vpicks which I really like but they are a little bit noisy, for me, in the thicker varieties. So far my favorite is the Gladiator which is a larger triangular shape similar to the Pro Plec that Mike Marshall likes. (I have Pro Plecs but don't like them as much as the Gladiator. This pick will set you back 4 bucks Here.

Last, but far from least, is my Blue Chip TD 50. The same size and shape as a guitar pick but plays and sounds like no other guitar picks that I've used (or I'd own them). I think its worth the money to own at least one of these picks. AFTER you are certain what size/shape you like best. If you are silly enough to think I have chosen the best one, buy it here: Blue Chip TD 50

Try some of those Dunlop picks I mentioned above. If you agree on those, maybe the rest of the opinions I expressed above might be agreeable to you as well.

Best of luck
    My GFs: Collings MF, Mandobird VIII, Mando-Strat, soprano & baritone ukuleles tuned to GDAE and a Martin X1-DE Guitar.